PDA

View Full Version : Anyone buy from Amazon

Clarence Martin
12-22-2015, 11:54 PM
Need to get a vacuum cleaner filter , and it seems that Amazon has the best price and has it in stock. Never bought from them before. Is it an easy site to buy from ?

Bill Devlin
12-23-2015, 12:06 AM
Amazing!......

Ken Fitzgerald
12-23-2015, 12:07 AM
Clarence.....I buy a lot from Amazon. They are a good company.

Recently, 2 weeks ago, I bought a boom box stereo for my shop. It had a problem and I had to return it. The return couldn't be easier. I boxed it up and when I logged onto my account and set it up to have it returned one of the options was to have UPS pick it up at my home. They arrived 2 days later with a label, put the shipping label on the box. 2 days later Amazon credited my credit card. That was the first time in several years of being a customer that I ever had to return something.

Amazon works well for me!

Art Mann
12-23-2015, 12:43 AM
Other than groceries, I buy far more stuff from Amazon than anywhere else. I would like to advise you about one thing. If the product is sold directly from amazon or they fulfill the order for some independent company, the return policy and customer service is typically excellent. If you buy from some other affiliated store on the Amazon website, you are taking a bigger risk. Amazon does not control the other sellers on their website. You have to read each ad closely to see who is doing the selling and delivery. There have been some unhappy posters on this forum about Amazon but the overwhelming majority of those complaints involves some company that is simply advertising on Amazon.

Bruce Page
12-23-2015, 1:10 AM
Is it an easy site to buy from ?
Too easy.

Brian Henderson
12-23-2015, 1:49 AM
I buy from Amazon constantly and thanks to Prime, I get it quick. I have yet to have a single problem with them and I've been with them since they first started.

Frederick Skelly
12-23-2015, 6:34 AM
If the product is sold directly from amazon or they fulfill the order for some independent company, the return policy and customer service is typically excellent. If you buy from some other affiliated store on the Amazon website, you are taking a bigger risk. Amazon does not control the other sellers on their website. You have to read each ad closely to see who is doing the selling and delivery. There have been some unhappy posters on this forum about Amazon but the overwhelming majority of those complaints involves some company that is simply advertising on Amazon.

+1.

Amazon led the way for internet-based stores and they're still a great place to buy if you follow Art's advice. They aren't always the cheapest (they nearly always were, once upon a time), but they are fairly priced and reliable. Next to Lee Valley, they're my favorite online retailer.

Charles Wiggins
12-23-2015, 6:43 AM
We buy through them a lot. Sometimes from Amazon directly and sometimes from their 3rd-party vendors. I've bought everything from powdered peanut butter to a Maytag washing machine. Purchased telephone batteries, broiler element for Mom's oven, maintenance kit for our dryer, squares and levels for the shop, side mirror for my truck, and the occasional book. They're great! When I am looking to get something online I ALWAYS check Amazon first.

Michael Weber
12-23-2015, 6:59 AM
More and more exclusively.

Kent Adams
12-23-2015, 7:55 AM
I've been buying from Amazon since 1999. I'd say, outside of groceries, 80% of what we buy for our home comes from Amazon.

Al Launier
12-23-2015, 7:55 AM
I buy many things from Amazon, every time a good experience. A five-star rating in my book!

Gerry Grzadzinski
12-23-2015, 8:19 AM
For the last two months, we've had about 5 deliveries from Amazon every week.

Tom M King
12-23-2015, 8:24 AM
Daily, usually.

Rich Riddle
12-23-2015, 8:28 AM
Easy site and they have a fantastic return policy that pays for returns. I purchase about every other day from them.

Prashun Patel
12-23-2015, 8:46 AM
I buy as much as I possibly can from Amazon. They're fast and the return policy is wonderful.

Once you get comfortable with the process and company, I recommend you pay for the Prime membership. It's so worth it on several levels.

Tom M King
12-23-2015, 9:37 AM
I even ordered underwear and socks from there yesterday. The only other choice around here is going to Walmart, and I'm glad I don't have to do that any more.

Matt Marsh
12-23-2015, 10:03 AM
I'm a Prime member, and I buy most everything except a few groceries there. Their return policy is the best! Bought pretty much all of my stationary shop tools through Amazon, cabinet saw, dust collector, planer, etc. Nothing but good experiences.

Larry Browning
12-23-2015, 11:53 AM
I guess I didn't realize there was anyone left in the world that didn't buy from Amazon. That's like saying "Has anyone bought stuff from Walmart?"
I am a relatively new Prime Member (about 6 months) and my only complaint is that I tend to order stuff on Friday or the weekend and it still takes until Tuesday for me to get it. I guess I need to order more stuff earlier in the week.

Gerry Grzadzinski
12-23-2015, 11:56 AM
For the last few weeks, Friday orders have been getting delivered on Sunday for us.

Rich Enders
12-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Our company needed a small test instrument that apparently is only manufactured in Japan. Using a Google search I found 5 sellers in the $800-900 range. On a chance I tried Amazon even though they did not show up in the initial search.

$370 delivered in two days. No tax, no shipping, no handling, and I am not Amazon Prime.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-23-2015, 12:42 PM
I am a great fan of Amazon but one should check other sources too! Like Rich, most times I found the prices at Amazon to be more than competitive but on at least one instance, I found a better price at a different retailer.

I am a Prime member and really like Amazon!

Ross Moshinsky
12-23-2015, 1:04 PM
As a small business owner, it's a shame how much we purchase from Amazon but their service and inventory is simply unmatched.

My best Amazon story is a few days before Hurricane Sandy we were trying to get a generator and it just wasn't happening. In order to think about getting one locally you needed to sit outside Lowes/Home Depot for 5 hours and that just gave you the chance of getting one.

Went on Amazon.com around 4PM EST on Thursday and purchased a generator. Needed it for the weekend so paid $8.99 for Saturday UPS delivery. Name another company that could do that?

Chris Padilla
12-23-2015, 1:31 PM
I love Amazon but do your due diligence in shopping around the 'net to get the best price, shipping, tax, etc. Amazon tends to come out on top 80% of the time but not always.

Someone warned above about buying from Amazon or a reseller (not through Amazon...Amazon just hosts them) so that is good to look out for. Usually, it isn't a problem.

Always read the reviews and take them all with a grain of salt. I mostly read the 1 and 2 star reviews to see what kinds of issues some folks might have.

One surprise I had from Amazon on my most recent order was the delivery date of the item I ordered: they said it would arrive on Sunday and I'll be darned but it actually did arrive on Sunday! I didn't pay any extra for it (in fact, shipping was free for the order) and I never saw who delivered it (we all know UPS and USPS do not deliver on Sunday) but they must be contracting with other shipping companies for such times. Very cool!

Kent Adams
12-23-2015, 1:46 PM
I love Amazon but do your due diligence in shopping around the 'net to get the best price, shipping, tax, etc. Amazon tends to come out on top 80% of the time but not always.

Someone warned above about buying from Amazon or a reseller (not through Amazon...Amazon just hosts them) so that is good to look out for. Usually, it isn't a problem.

Always read the reviews and take them all with a grain of salt. I mostly read the 1 and 2 star reviews to see what kinds of issues some folks might have.

One surprise I had from Amazon on my most recent order was the delivery date of the item I ordered: they said it would arrive on Sunday and I'll be darned but it actually did arrive on Sunday! I didn't pay any extra for it (in fact, shipping was free for the order) and I never saw who delivered it (we all know UPS and USPS do not deliver on Sunday) but they must be contracting with other shipping companies for such times. Very cool!

Both UPS and USPS deliver for Amazon in my area on Sunday.

Chris Padilla
12-23-2015, 1:52 PM
No foolin', Kent?! I wasn't aware of that. Perhaps it was one of them who delivered it. Interesting.

julian abram
12-23-2015, 2:44 PM
I buy as much as I possibly can from Amazon. They're fast and the return policy is wonderful.

Once you get comfortable with the process and company, I recommend you pay for the Prime membership. It's so worth it on several levels.

What he said!

Art Mann
12-23-2015, 4:27 PM
I find this thread to be amazing. It makes me want to go out and buy Amazon stock even at the premium price it currently commands. There are two pages of comments on my screen and none of them are negative.

Pat Barry
12-23-2015, 6:19 PM
Apparently the xxxx in my original post this morning was too much for someone, so I'll clarify my answer in response to the OPs question - "Does a bear walk in the woods?"

Jim Becker
12-23-2015, 9:08 PM
We are an Amazon Prime household and we buy a LOT from Amazon. It's convenient for sure and we've rarely had a problem. The last time I did have an issue with a delayed delivery, they credited my account for $15 toward a future purchase as compensation, as a matter of fact. That said, you still need to research and understand what things cost. I buy a lot from BH Photo, too,