PDA

View Full Version : Wire mold and backsplash

Randy Rizzo
12-22-2015, 5:15 PM
OK, I've got the cabinet bases installed and I'm putting on countertops. Where the cabinets run along the wall I want add a back splash with outlets. I know they make stuff called wire mold, metallic channel with snap on covers and 2 or 4 gang boxes. My brother got me a price, won't be using that! Any of you guys done something like this that isn't going to break the bank? There is a gap at the cabinet where it is along the wall and I want to cover the gap and install some electrical outlets at the same time.

Jerome Stanek
12-22-2015, 6:33 PM
I would make my own chase and use mc cable in it with shallow boxes

Randy Rizzo
12-22-2015, 7:02 PM
I would make my own chase and use mc cable in it with shallow boxes

that's all I've come up with to date as well. Just wondered if others may have done it and might include a photo. BTW, what is "MC" cable. I'm familiar with greenfield, romex, etc. romex is code around here.

Garth Almgren
12-22-2015, 7:09 PM
MC is "Metal Clad":

Ellen Benkin
12-22-2015, 8:56 PM
It seems to me that if you use MC (also known as BX) you don't need to hide it. My house, built in 1929, was wired entirely with this conduit, While the wires break down, the conduit lives forever.

Matt Day
12-22-2015, 10:18 PM
What about a few of these? Might be easier.

Randy Rizzo
12-22-2015, 10:28 PM
MC is "Metal Clad":
Ah! We used the stuff. 2 electricians in the family (son and brother) and they always referred to it as greenfield. But the stuff we used was without wire, it was flexible conduit and when hooked up we just pulled wire. It was usually a short run from rigid, more like a whip to connect a component.

Tom Ewell
12-23-2015, 12:01 AM
I wired my shop up before the closing the walls but several new runs were needed as some new goodies arrived, ended up snaking loose wire through pvc conduit, fittings and accessories.
Cut, glue, clamp, snake is pretty straight forward, can take it all the way to the service panel if you want.
Can even get matching boxes,devices and covers.

Jerome Stanek
12-23-2015, 7:08 AM
MC has a ground wire in it BX doesn't. Greenfield is hollow flexible conduit. I would hide the MC in a chase that is behind the front of the back splash

Brian Hood
12-23-2015, 7:31 PM
OK, I've got the cabinet bases installed and I'm putting on countertops. Where the cabinets run along the wall I want add a back splash with outlets. I know they make stuff called wire mold, metallic channel with snap on covers and 2 or 4 gang boxes. My brother got me a price, won't be using that! Any of you guys done something like this that isn't going to break the bank? There is a gap at the cabinet where it is along the wall and I want to cover the gap and install some electrical outlets at the same time.

What will your counters be made of?
Wiremold- there are many types in plastic, sheet metal, and one version that looks nice in brushed aluminum. I'm just finishing my kitchen which will have a custom made glass backsplash I didn't want to cut outlets into so I will be installing the brushed AL stuff, Wiremold AL2000 series, up against the wall behind the UC lights where it can't be seen. It's $10 to $12/ft depending on how it's configured.

Photo below shows the product. If you install this or something like it keep in mind that if pushed into a corner some wide plugs won't fit.