09-05-2005, 5:43 PM
how do you sharpen it---need instructions---tks,joe

Gary Max
09-05-2005, 5:58 PM
Wolverine Sharpening System
Takes just seconds and works perfect everytime

Rob Bourgeois
09-05-2005, 6:05 PM
how about without a wolverine..I hope theres a way to do it without it ;)

Bob Oswin
09-05-2005, 6:19 PM
how about without a wolverine..I hope theres a way to do it without it ;)

Here's a home made jig that works as well as the store bought ones.

http://www.jeanmichel.org/woodturnjigs.htm

Bob

Charles Bjorgen
09-05-2005, 6:57 PM
David Ellsworth sells a jig expressly for the purpose of maintaining the profile on his bowl gouge.

Here's a direct link to the Woodcraft web site that describes the jig and also directs you to a pdf file that shows how to set up your grinder for using his jig.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1914

I bought mine at Woodcraft and use it in conjunction with my Wolverine setup with a slight modification which raises the jig a bit higher off the V-Arm.

A friend of mine created his own larger version of the jig to use on a 3/4" bowl gouge and it seems to work well. The original Ellsworth jig works only with gouges that are made from 5/8" stock.

Dennis Peacock
09-05-2005, 7:59 PM
The real key to sharpening your turning tools and being able to have the "same" grind each time you go back to the lathe AND to make the tools last as long as possible is the sole purpose of sharpening jigs. Tormek has gadgets and gizmo's for sharpening everything from plane irons to the little womans sewing scissors....your hatchet, jointer knive....the list goes on from there.

The Wolverine jig is so popular because it's relatively inexpensive, easy to setup and you use your own slow speed grinder. Works great.!!!!

Consistancey of the bevel angle and grind is the key to bettering you success at the lathe. Before....I used to freehand my sharpening at the ginder and my tools didn't live long and the grind was never like it was before I started "grinding" on my tools. The Tormek taught me a lot about having the exact same bevel angle and grind as what you had the last time you used the tool at the lathe.

Different grinds will cause you to have to experiment with the "new" grind to find how it best operates. Once you get a grind that you like, the important thing is to have a way to reproduce that grind so you will know what to expect at the lathe when you grab that tool and stick it to a piece of spinning wood.

You don't have to buy a Wolverine...although it would be nice and you would wonder how you ever got along without it after you use it a couple of times. ;) Tormek? If you have the money? Works really well. Just remember, a Tormek is a "slow"grind and does require some patience the first time you grind a tool. After that? It's pretty quick as you only need to touchup the tools edge and get back to turning.

Well....I've exhausted about all I know to share about this. I hope this helps you out a little. :D

Jim Becker
09-05-2005, 8:15 PM
While you can sharpen the Ellsworth gouge with the Wolverine and other shop-built systems, David's jig is the best way to get a consistant edge that matches the original. The Wolverine Vari-grind can come close, but not exactly. His jig is not all that expensive and comes with a plan to build the necessary support arm so that you have the gouge at exactly the right point in front of the stone.

You really can't free-hand this kind of grind...you need a jig of some sort and I recommend the "original" for best results.

Andy Hoyt
09-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Dennis - I've been a Wolverine user since day one and have no intention of switching. But I'm curious about the Tormek. Can it do an Irish Grind?

Bill Esposito
09-10-2005, 3:55 PM
Pretty simple to make a DIY Ellsworth jig.

http://cerealport.net/woodworking/diyellsworth1.jpg

Clem Wixted
09-10-2005, 5:11 PM
[QUOTE=Bill Esposito]Pretty simple to make a DIY Ellsworth jig./QUOTE]

Hey Bill,

Could you give a few critical dimensions?

Thanks,

Clem

Bill Esposito
09-10-2005, 5:23 PM

Hey Bill,

Thanks,

Clem
Sure, from the centerline of the gouge to the tip of the rod is 7". The Rod is at 45°. The block is 2 1/4 x 7/8 x2

Changes I made in subsequent versions were 1. Make sure the grain runs parallel to the screw :) and 2. Thread the screw in from the top and taper the end of the screw. It will then line up your gouge for you.

Stick the gouge out of the jig about 2". What I did was drill a 2" deep hole in the side of my grinding station. I slide the jig on the tool, stick the tool in the hole, slide the jig up against the bench and tighten the jig.

Bob Oswin
09-10-2005, 5:51 PM
home made jig (http://www3.telus.net/public/ident/Drews%20woodstuff/ell-jig2.jpg)

Hey Bill,

Thanks,

Clem
Here's one I made ffrom 1/4" plate and a piece or 1/8" flat iron.
http://www3.telus.net/public/ident/Drews%20woodstuff/ell-jig2.jpg

Clem Wixted
09-10-2005, 7:41 PM
BIll,

Thanks for the dimensions. The upgrades you made on newer versions sound like they will make it easier to use.

Bob,

How do I get to your website? I went in through the back door but am missing any narrative you might have.

Clem

Bob Oswin
09-10-2005, 9:07 PM
Bob,

How do I get to your website? I went in through the back door but am missing any narrative you might have.

Clem[/QUOTE]
Clem:
I don't yet keep a website.
If you have a torch or a welder I would be happy to run you thru this tool.
It really a piece of cake and doesn't require much in the way of tools.
-Drill press hacksaw, grinder, welder.

I think I spent about 30 mins on the one in the pic.

Bob

Earl Eyre
09-11-2005, 1:03 AM
If you want a complete system, go back to Bob Oswin's response. Jean Michael has the complete set on his site in several PDF files. Takes a little studying but if you read through his whole site you will see his pictures and video clips. http://www.jeanmichel.org/woodturnjigs.htm He has designed and has perfect blueprints for every type of jig for every type of tool. I built the whole set and see no reason to buy any jig. I built the whole works for free. The only thing I bought was some thumb screws so I could tighten everything by hand.

Earl