PDA

View Full Version : White Oak Plate Two

Bruce Jones
12-22-2015, 3:36 PM
Well while I had my idea fresh in my head I threw a blank of the high figured White Oak on the old HF CM Lathe; this time I was shooting for a flatter plate w/ out the foot. I glued a scrap piece to the back side for the chucks jaws to have a good hold on this piece w/ it's heavy wild grain, and this is what I came up with 10.5" D was as big as I could get from this board.

Bruce

Sid Matheny
12-22-2015, 5:22 PM
That is a super looking plate!!! That wood is to die for wonderful.

robert baccus
12-22-2015, 10:18 PM
Beautiful shape and wood. Wow

Bruce Jones
12-22-2015, 11:29 PM
Thank you Sid & Robert; I just found out my supplier has a vast amount of this White Oak Going to have to get some more.

Bruce

Pat Scott
12-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Nice wood for sure. IMO the foot is much better on this one than the first. The rim that you have is (to me) unconventional. Most plate rims dip inwards to help hold food in place, whereas your rim slopes outward. If anything makes it over the small upturned lip, it's heading straight for someones lap or off the plate.

Bruce Jones
12-23-2015, 12:20 PM
Nice wood for sure. IMO the foot is much better on this one than the first. The rim that you have is (to me) unconventional. Most plate rims dip inwards to help hold food in place, whereas your rim slopes outward. If anything makes it over the small upturned lip, it's heading straight for someones lap or off the plate.Thank you pat for your response The rim Doesn't slop away to the out side that's an optical Illusion; both outer and inner rims are flush.

Bruce