PDA

View Full Version : Made a New Tool

Larry Copas
12-22-2015, 11:21 AM
I thought a tool to make lines in my turnings might add interest so I made one.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GIV3LwDnyaA/Vnl1Dja7SSI/AAAAAAAAASY/pbNQBdc-DJ0/s800-Ic42/DSCF8735.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qmgYjFk79V4/Vnl1PtfT2cI/AAAAAAAAASo/aEjp3ufECW0/s800-Ic42/DSCF8737.JPG

A scrap of 9/16” steel round for the shaft. Brass nut for the ferrule. A HSS 1/4” metal cutting bit for the business end. Set screws are just what I had on hand and I'll get shorter replacements next trip to town. Drilled a 13/64” hole in the round and chamfer on the metal lathe. A metal lathe is essential in my shop to keep all the old iron running.

First cut with the “V” point and it skittered off like a skew would act. Once I got my presentation right it cut really well. The “U” point is just ok as it is a touch catchy. I found it needed a burr just like a scraper. It does leave a nice smooth cut.

I'll probably think up a couple more points to make as time passes. The “V” point also should make it easy to start a burn wire. Making the tool saved this old retiree a few dollars and kept me out of the tavern for the day.

Bill White
12-22-2015, 11:28 AM
Well done. Wanna make me a shaft? I can do all the other stuff, and I have several cutters (1/4").
Bill

John K Jordan
12-22-2015, 1:02 PM
The “U” point is just ok as it is a touch catchy. I found it needed a burr just like a scraper. It does leave a nice smooth cut.

You might try grinding a top bevel to make it a negative rake scraper. I've been doing that on all my small scrapers. It's much like holding the end of the handle high and angling the nose down about 5 degrees or so but is easier to use and more controllable.

I did one yesterday that was round-nosed 4.5 mm wide and it cuts very cleanly. I don't use a burr.

JKJ

Thom Sturgill
12-22-2015, 8:00 PM
You might try grinding a top bevel to make it a negative rake scraper.

JKJ

Look at the so called 'point tool' or sometimes 'three point tool' (three sides coming to a sharp point). You can use any edge almost as a skew and cut nice grooves. I have two - one with about 20 degree point with long edges and one with about 45 degree.

Your handle can be used for a number of purposes including a chatter tool and hook tools for hollowing end grain boxes.

Peter Blair
12-23-2015, 8:29 PM
Ok, here we go again. Still blows me away about a negative scraper. It seems to me that it is no different than a regular scraper only that it is applied at a different angle. Lots of people had tried to explain this to me but I am having a hard time understanding why a scraper that is sharpened on both edges is any different than a scraper sharpened on one edge other than the way it is presented to the wood? HALP!!!
I have made several of both and see no difference. . . .