PDA

View Full Version : Woodpeckers Newest OneTIME Tool

Richard Bishow
12-22-2015, 10:33 AM
I just received notice of Woodpeckers Newest OneTIME Tool: a "Perfect Mortise and Tenon Marking Plus Pin-Point Doweling Accuracy" jig. I watched the video and thought it to be enticing. I thought, I don't need it, but I like it. I don't need it, but I want it. Maybe I'll buy it. And then, I saw the price! Holy cow!! Are there any discount codes for this thing out there? I actually have purchased a OneTime Tool from Woodpeckers in the past and thought it perhaps a bit overpriced, but was still affordable. I know that Woodpeckers is fine quality, but...OMG.

http://www.woodpeck.com/mtcg2015.html?_bta_tid=3.AIdT.CFmDBg.FpCp.AYCnqQ.. AsCY0Q.b..l.BtDZ.n...lJKUEQ&_bta_c=0a4alw5vpnng4ba2qzt7ec2x2o66a

Jim Sevey
12-22-2015, 10:41 AM
I agree. I have some Woodpeckers tools and love them. I watched the videos showing their tools construction processes and the quality is exceptional. Unfortunately- their pricing keeps me out of their customer base. I'm not crying- I can't afford a Porsche either. My pickup truck is not a Porsche but it works perfectly for what I need. I think I sometimes need to remind myself that an adequate tool is a better choice. Festool is another one in that category. No doubt exceptional in every way- but priced way beyond what my budget will bear.

Andrew Pitonyak
12-22-2015, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I am right with you there. I really want it, but I can't really justify the expense (since I generally do not do M&T or dowel joinery).

I have never seen a discount code for their stuff, but they do have sales on stuff sometimes. I have purchased some of their one time tools and have been very happy with them.

If you have use for them, you will generally be very happy with them.

The last one I purchased from them was their Straddle Squares (http://www.woodpeck.com/straddlesquare15.html) since it makes it very fast and easy to mark a board for cutting while performing practice cuts and then the student can see both sides of the board to see if they really did cut straight and true. I had just done a bunch of these when they introduced that tool and I was like "got to have that". :D

If you get one, let us know how it works out.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, I see that this was your first post. Where do you live (generally speaking)? I am in the middle of Ohio looking forward to a warm rainy Christmas :mad:

Andrew Pitonyak
12-22-2015, 10:51 AM
I agree. I have some Woodpeckers tools and love them. I watched the videos showing their tools construction processes and the quality is exceptional. Unfortunately- their pricing keeps me out of their customer base. I'm not crying- I can't afford a Porsche either. My pickup truck is not a Porsche but it works perfectly for what I need. I think I sometimes need to remind myself that an adequate tool is a better choice. Festool is another one in that category. No doubt exceptional in every way- but priced way beyond what my budget will bear.

I almost soiled myself when I saw a Cadillac pickup truck some years back. I remember thinking that they were not likely to haul the stuff I hauled on the farm with that thing.

Reinis Kanders
12-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Most of the cost must be the suitcase the stuff comes with and of course the red color.
It is almost like they forgot that there are a marking gauges.

Frederick Skelly
12-22-2015, 11:04 AM
Well, I'm certain it's a great tool. All their stuff is. But I just don't need that one. But thanks for posting it Richard. And BTW, welcome to The Creek!

Andrew, I with you hadn't showed me that straddle square. It's a bit overkill - I can get the same answer with other stuff I already have. But it's still clever - and tempting - even for $120.

Tom Ewell
12-22-2015, 11:07 AM
At twice the price pickup a Domino, it'll bore the holes too. ;)

James Zhu
12-22-2015, 11:07 AM
Full set $490 for such limited functionalities, way overpriced.

2 set of this onetime tool can buy you a unique Festool Domino 500 set http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=domino+500, from this perspective, I think you can justify the cost of Domino :)

Richard Bishow
12-22-2015, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I am right with you there. I really want it, but I can't really justify the expense (since I generally do not do M&T or dowel joinery).

I have never seen a discount code for their stuff, but they do have sales on stuff sometimes. I have purchased some of their one time tools and have been very happy with them.

If you have use for them, you will generally be very happy with them.

The last one I purchased from them was their Straddle Squares (http://www.woodpeck.com/straddlesquare15.html) since it makes it very fast and easy to mark a board for cutting while performing practice cuts and then the student can see both sides of the board to see if they really did cut straight and true. I had just done a bunch of these when they introduced that tool and I was like "got to have that". :D

If you get one, let us know how it works out.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, I see that this was your first post. Where do you live (generally speaking)? I am in the middle of Ohio looking forward to a warm rainy Christmas :mad:

Thanks for the kind reply. I'm in Northern VA (outside of DC) and looking forward to the predicted 75 degree weather on XMAS too?? Anyway, I've been lurking around here for quite a while, as I've related well to a lot of useful information always found in these pages. Thanks for the welcome. Rick

John Schweikert
12-22-2015, 12:06 PM
There's a very profitable business adage, sell dreams not products. Hobby woodworkers, much like hobby photographers are very susceptible to buying expensive items in hopes of improving skills. The number of specialized Woodpecker tools sitting in garages, sheds and shops which go unused or used very infrequently is probably quite high. Yet they got your money solely due to the immediacy of buying or otherwise being left out of the One-Time Tool bait. If I have to wait 6 months for a tool, then I probably didn't need it in the first place.

While Woodpecker does make excellent tools, many are quite silly in that the cost of the tool far exceeds the solution. I do own a few Woodpecker tools which provide precision in a multitude of ways, but tools so specific as to provide no benefit elsewhere yet still command a high price are not helpful to me. I wish them the best. They've certainly figured out how to keep the business rolling.

Ben Rivel
12-22-2015, 1:45 PM
There's a very profitable business adage, sell dreams not products. Hobby woodworkers, much like hobby photographers are very susceptible to buying expensive items in hopes of improving skills. The number of specialized Woodpecker tools sitting in garages, sheds and shops which go unused or used very infrequently is probably quite high. Yet they got your money solely due to the immediacy of buying or otherwise being left out of the One-Time Tool bait. If I have to wait 6 months for a tool, then I probably didn't need it in the first place.

While Woodpecker does make excellent tools, many are quite silly in that the cost of the tool far exceeds the solution. I do own a few Woodpecker tools which provide precision in a multitude of ways, but tools so specific as to provide no benefit elsewhere yet still command a high price are not helpful to me. I wish them the best. They've certainly figured out how to keep the business rolling.
Very accurate and agreed with you 100%! Well said Sir.

I personally couldnt justify this OTT either. WAY overpriced for not that much or not that great of function. I do own a number of Woodpeckers tools too included a couple OTTs. And like John said, some of them I more have to find reasons to use them than actually needed them. I do still like having them though, they are just so darn nice :)

As a side note, I have noticed that these OTTs hold their resale value extremely well. I have seen quite a few sell on eBay "used" for more than they sold for new. Something to think about.

Bruce Page
12-22-2015, 2:19 PM
They must pay their machinists very well.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
12-22-2015, 3:03 PM
With all these OTT you kinda wonder how craftsmen of years past built such elegant furniture without all the fancy tools and gadgets.

Cary Falk
12-22-2015, 4:08 PM
I have a few Woodpecker squares and rules and love them for their precision and craftsmanship. I would probably buy more if I had the funds. There are some things that they make that I have no interest in because I would never use. This one falls into this category.

John Sanford
12-23-2015, 2:32 PM
With all these OTT you kinda wonder how craftsmen of years past built such elegant furniture without all the fancy tools and gadgets.

They did it by working at building elegant furniture 8-14 hours a day, 5-7 days a week, for YEARS. When you have that much practice, the "fancy tools and gadgets" can be dispensed with. Of course, some of the tools they used were pretty fancy as well. it should be remembered that those same guys who built all that elegant furniture also managed to get from Philadelphia to Ohio without all them fancy airplanes trains, and cars. Yesssireee, the Ankle Express was sufficient for them.

But I don't see anybody here pooh-poohing Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

This new OTT looks wicked cool, but since I have an aversion to dowels, that functionality is useless for me. The rest of it appears to be a very high quality execution of a simple old tool. Nothing wrong with that, just not something I need. Mind you, I just ordered two of the last OTT on the last ordering day, because they DO provide functionality that I want. I absolutely love my Incra rules, except for the flex in the blade that can throw it off, or at least throw me off. So a flexless Incra like option appealed to me.

Keith Hankins
12-23-2015, 2:46 PM
Looks like they took the mortice guage that I have and added dowling to it. Pretty cool. I don't dowel so would not need. The morice tool is nice and i've used it to mark dead centers and nice tools all of their stuff is top notch. A luxury but top notch! Go for it.

Wade Lippman
12-23-2015, 3:20 PM
Boy, when one comes up used for half price (probably never out of the box...) I will be all over it!

Rich Engelhardt
12-23-2015, 3:25 PM
They must pay their machinists very well.As I understand it, the One Time Tools are things they make in downtime - - where they would otherwise lay off the labor instead of keeping them working.
Nice gesture on their part - - however - -

Chris Padilla
12-23-2015, 3:26 PM
I love Woodpecker's stuff. Pricey as all get out but once you get over it and the money is long gone, you have a product that will last a lifetime and that works beautifully. But, yeah, pricey stuff....

Ray Newman
12-23-2015, 5:38 PM
If 'ya' think Woodpeckers is over priced and in some case silly and/or useless, check out Bridge City Tools
www.bridgecitytools.com/ (http://www.bridgecitytools.com/)

Brian Hood
12-23-2015, 6:55 PM
If 'ya' think Woodpeckers is over priced and in some case silly and/or useless, check out Bridge City Tools
www.bridgecitytools.com/ (http://www.bridgecitytools.com/)

For awhile I had a fascination with Bridge City Tool Works and John Economaki, the creator of that company. Much of what they made at first and some of what they still make is just art, pure and simple. Not many people who bought one of his plumb bobs had any intention of using to achieve plumbness.
To put my fascination to work I started trading BCT tools and did pretty well. Quite a few people had bought sets of tools, never used them, and later sold the set for a lot less than they can be sold for on eBay. I ended up handling quite a few and enjoyed the experience, I think I still have a dozen or so I haven't sold off yet.
I have a couple I use all the time, favorite is a 4" universal square (speed square) that is just better made and better designed than the common ones. Recall I paid $40 for it. The block planes and really nice also.
I've noticed that the tools for which there was the most demand were the 'gadget tools', the ones that combined a square, a saddle square, and a sliding T-bevel.

Rich Riddle
12-23-2015, 7:02 PM
They came out with a similar one-time tool a few years ago. What happens if you want off-center marks? Many other problems to ponder as well. I have a few of their tools but typically don't even look at their lines any longer. They went into the "gimmick makers" category with me. Here was the link in 2014:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?216572-Woodpeckers-MT-doweling-jig

Earl McLain
12-23-2015, 7:35 PM
Just add a spacer to one side. And then remember to do the same on the mating piece. And, hopefully, to the correct side of the mating piece. Don't ask me how i learned that. Might have been the same project that taught me the value of milling extra stock.

earl

Rich Riddle
12-23-2015, 8:56 PM
Just add a spacer to one side. And then remember to do the same on the mating piece. And, hopefully, to the correct side of the mating piece. Don't ask me how i learned that. Might have been the same project that taught me the value of milling extra stock.

earl
Sure, for a mere $500 you can't expect them to work that out for us.

Ben Rivel
12-23-2015, 9:11 PM
As I understand it, the One Time Tools are things they make in downtime - - where they would otherwise lay off the labor instead of keeping them working.
Nice gesture on their part - - however - -
HA! Is that what they told you? Well they must have a lot of downtown as they seem to regularly come back with OTTs all year long. They just want all the money for a product before theyve made them. Something any company would want but most cant pull off. Guaranteed sales before any investment has been made is a nice luxury.

Bill Orbine
12-23-2015, 9:20 PM
I wonder......for a one time tool, what if.........you needs parts in the future????? For example, drill guides or if you lose something!!!:eek:

Jeffrey Martel
12-23-2015, 11:02 PM
Neat tool, but you can spend an hour and make one out of scrap for free.

Keith Hankins
12-24-2015, 9:30 AM
HA! Is that what they told you? Well they must have a lot of downtown as they seem to regularly come back with OTTs all year long. They just want all the money for a product before theyve made them. Something any company would want but most cant pull off. Guaranteed sales before any investment has been made is a nice luxury.

Not really. In order to make it profitable, they need to have an idea of the size of the run, to batch it properly to make it efficiently. It's just good manufacturing process. It's not like making widgets that are on automated lines and you do a one time setup and just go and make em all day long.

I'm sure if they made it in china it would cost 19.95, but I'm glad something is still being freak'n made in America. My hats off to those guys. I'd love to take a tour of their facility.

I think it's like using a wood river plane then putting your hands on a Lie-Nielsen. You just appreciate the diff.

Love their measuring stuff. I also love that I had a part finally fail on one of their 10 year old router lifts, and when I called to order the part, they said no! It was sent free of charge. The guy said you bought it once and paid for that part already! With that they had a customer for life!

Rich Engelhardt
12-24-2015, 11:27 AM
Guaranteed sales before any investment has been made is a nice luxury.It's not a luxury in the least.
Matter of fact, for the higher end of the buying spectrum - pay in advance - is the normal.

Boy, when one comes up used for half price (probably never out of the box...) I will be all over it!
Ever see or hear of that happening?
(Me neither....):rolleyes:

Gerry Grzadzinski
12-24-2015, 12:19 PM
Here's a little video showing some of what's involved in making these one time tools.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ8oWvjFzR4&_bta_tid=3.AIdT.CBYvkg.FpHi.AYGgRQ..AsFFSQ.b..l.Bt DZ.n...vUS8wQ&_bta_c=6xgb7ez2wmeb9fqs7pivg0wxxusfh

Ray Newman
12-24-2015, 1:34 PM
The ol' Odd Jobs. Have not seen those offered for awhile. The Woodpeckers video jiggled my mind and I recalled that I was gifted with one from the Garret Wade catalogue years ago. Just looked and Garret Wade's brass-body version is still available. See: http://www.garrettwade.com/historic-odd-job-gp.html

Unusual little tool that I have "on display" in my tool cabinet. Most see it and ask "What is that used for?"

Just looked through the Garret Wade catalogue and it says the company started in 1975. Hard to belie they have been around that long....

Brian W Evans
12-24-2015, 3:22 PM
I have several woodpecker tools but usually I delete the email as soon as I see the price - can't justify that kind of money for something that really only does one or two specific tasks.

On the other hand, you could buy one of each of the OTTs for the price of one of these:

I read somewhere that this costs £7000 ($10,440 as of today). It's gorgeous and I'm sure it's a joy to use but how you could ever justify spending that much on a single handplane I'll never know.

If you're curious, you can see more like this at http://www.holteyplanes.com

Tom M King
12-24-2015, 4:17 PM
The ol' Odd Jobs. Have not seen those offered for awhile. The Woodpeckers video jiggled my mind and I recalled that I was gifted with one from the Garret Wade catalogue years ago. Just looked and Garret Wade's brass-body version is still available. See: http://www.garrettwade.com/historic-odd-job-gp.html

Unusual little tool that I have "on display" in my tool cabinet. Most see it and ask "What is that used for?"

Just looked through the Garret Wade catalogue and it says the company started in 1975. Hard to belie they have been around that long....
I wish I had kept all their catalogs. They have changed a lot since back then. I bought a lot of stuff from them in the '70s, and used to really enjoy getting their catalogs.

James Zhu
12-24-2015, 9:53 PM
I have several woodpecker tools but usually I delete the email as soon as I see the price - can't justify that kind of money for something that really only does one or two specific tasks.

On the other hand, you could buy one of each of the OTTs for the price of one of these:

I read somewhere that this costs £7000 ($10,440 as of today). It's gorgeous and I'm sure it's a joy to use but how you could ever justify spending that much on a single handplane I'll never know.

If you're curious, you can see more like this at http://www.holteyplanes.com

I just do not think real woodworker will buy it. People who buy it must have too much money, they probably collect it, never use it to make something.

Allan Speers
12-25-2015, 1:02 AM
I'm actually quite interested in the dowelling jig, but JUST the doweling jig. I've looked at Dowelmax & the like, and based on numerous threads & reviews, they all have some shortcomings.

Everything I've bought from Woodpeckers has been worth the price. I can't see them making a dud.

Except this is not a T-square or other simple tool, one needs to wait for someone else to review it. But of course, by the time it's been reviewed and discussed, it's too late to order one. The whole "one time tool" thing always feels like a bit of a scam. ("Send before midnight tomorrow, and get a free set of steak knives!" "Hurry! Supplies are limited!" )

Also, in the copy for these items, "You can buy them both individually, or as a set." How's that exactly? If you buy them both NOW, that's a set. If you buy ONE now, you can't buy the other later.

- And part of the attraction of these guys, to some folks, might be the option of getting the "matching" dingus later.

They use computerized milling to make these things. What the heck is the need for a single production run? It's certainly not keeping the price down.

richard b miller
12-25-2015, 12:39 PM
i'm with you rich, its a nice to have, but not for a few hundred bucks.

Allan Speers
12-25-2015, 10:13 PM
They came out with a similar one-time tool a few years ago. What happens if you want off-center marks?

Yep.

Same problem if you want to do double rows, something that Dowelmax does well.

- But Earl's idea is certainly workable. (Spacer on one side.)

The main thing for me is, is it precise, is it accurate, and will it last a long time without any wear / sloppiness?

I'm still not sure. Again, just about impossible to pull the trigger without getting user feedback first, and then it's too late.

fred woltersdorf
12-26-2015, 5:42 AM
I've only bought one tool from them, a router table sled, when I was assembling it I was short some hardware, I called them and their reply was that those nuts and bolts are common and available at any hardware store, so that ended my buying anything from them again, they have a non customer for life.

Keith Weber
12-27-2015, 10:50 AM
$489 for a doweling jig. LOL! Now that's funny!

Cary Falk
12-28-2015, 4:46 PM
It was overpriced. Woodpeckers just sent me an email saying that it was $40 over priced and the new price has been adjusted.:D

Ben Rivel
12-28-2015, 4:57 PM
It was overpriced. Woodpeckers just sent me an email saying that it was $40 over priced and the new price has been adjusted.:D
Yep, just got the email too. $40 less for the kits. Still WAY too much.

John Schweikert
12-28-2015, 7:39 PM
Yes still silly expensive. I'll pass.

But for anyone who is interested, if you buy the full set through Carbide Processors and use the "creekers" code for an extra 10% off, it's $404.99 with free shipping. Discount applies to anything on CP website. Hope that helps at least one person out there.

Allan Speers
12-28-2015, 7:49 PM
$489 for a doweling jig. LOL! Now that's funny!

Except it's NOT that much. That's for the complete kit, which includes both inches and metric.

The complet "inch" kit is $270. That includes the centering dingus, the doweling jig with both 3/8" and 1/4" guides, and the case. That's not bad at all, considering that a DowelMax is about $230, doesn't include a centering jig, and you have to pay $55 extra if you want their 1/4" guides.

David T gray
12-28-2015, 8:14 PM
Except it's NOT that much. That's for the complete kit, which includes both inches and metric.

The complet "inch" kit is $270. That includes the centering dingus, the doweling jig with both 3/8" and 1/4" guides, and the case. That's not bad at all, considering that a DowelMax is about $230, doesn't include a centering jig, and you have to pay $55 extra if you want their 1/4" guides.

thats nice but the jessem is like $200 with every thing

Allan Speers
12-28-2015, 8:19 PM
thats nice but the jessem is like $200 with every thing

Not "with everything." The Jessem also doesn't include a centering jig. - And it's

If you just want the Woodpeckers Doweling jig, (which still has the parallelogram, just no centering bars for your pencil) it's $150.

William Adams
04-27-2016, 12:00 PM
Kind of bummed I missed this announcement of the Woodpecker revival of the Odd Jobs.

Curious what people think of the idea of this being aluminum, not brass --- would the lack of heft detract from the feel of the tool, or would the lightness make usage easier?

Considering making my own --- Ipe w/ brass inlay? The one part which concerns me is how to handle the scribing point.... Anyone else see any difficult parts?