PDA

View Full Version : Question on Skin Allergiy to Maple

Joe Beaulieu
12-21-2015, 8:45 PM
Hi,

I have heard of some people being allergic to various exotic species of wood. I have never had any reaction, although as I get older I am struggling more with skin rashes. I recently started to work on some hard maple. I don't know more about the species than it is hard maple. Are there various sub-species within the hard maple family? I imagine there are.

Regardless - I have developed a rash all around my face and hair line and in my scalp - places I sweat when I woodwork. I usually use a towel that I wipe my face regularly with while working, and I am betting that very minor irritation from the towel are the areas where this toxin is getting to my skin. I don't have a rash anywhere else - hands and arms are fine. All I have done is cut wood - I haven't sanded anything. I realize that cutting and jointing and planning etc create a significant amount of airborne dust. I am just afraid of what may happen if I sand! Does hand planeing create any significant airborne dust? Doesn't seem like it should.

Has anyone else encountered this with Maple? If so, how long can I expect the rash to last? I can take measures to avoid the towel etc. I just find it odd that it happened with maple. I did also help my wife by cutting and trimming down some small pieces of poplar for drawer inserts. It could have been the poplar I guess, but the exposure is 95% maple, 5% poplar. Is poplar a known sensitizer? It was a very minor amount of poplar.

Anyway - just hoping to get some level of feedback from anyone who may have gone through this. Am I destined to sell all my tools and move to Nepal and join a temple? I am pretty sure I don't like Yak milk.

Peter Quinn
12-21-2015, 9:15 PM
I've always understood maple to be a very inert species. They make cutting boards from it, utensils, counter tops, etc. Its low in tannins, no strange oils like some exotics, very little smell. Doesn't mean you can't be allergic to it. Or it could be wood dust in general? Best to contact a dermatologist should this continue. In my professional experience I've seen people develop sensitivities to various species but not previously maple.

Lee Schierer
12-21-2015, 9:40 PM
As far as I know "hard maple" refers to the wood of the sugar maple tree (Acer saccharum), which is normally and eastern U.S. tree. On the west side of the country there is a Big Leaf maple, but I've never heard of anyone having allergic reactions to either species other than to the pollen.

Marty Tippin
12-21-2015, 10:19 PM
Maybe not relevant, but my daughter recently went through the full range of allergy testing. One of the most reactive tests was Box Elder, which is a species of Maple.

Jim German
12-22-2015, 7:49 AM
Maybe not relevant, but my daughter recently went through the full range of allergy testing. One of the most reactive tests was Box Elder, which is a species of Maple.

That would have been to the pollen of the tree, not the wood itself.

I've not heard of anyone having any allergy issues with maple. Some exotics and stuff like Cedar, sure, but maple seems odd. I think its surprising that its not on your arms or hands, as they would have had alot more contact with the wood. Perhaps it was something else that combined with the sweat to cause the irritation, a change in shampoo or soap perhaps?

Mike Cutler
12-22-2015, 9:16 AM
I can't work with mahogany, it makes my face numb.Like others though, I thought Maple to be relatively hypo-allergenic.
If you're allergic to maple, that's really all there is to it. I certainly wouldn't recommend sanding it until you know more. No way you want to try that experiment on your own. It could land you in the hospital.
Hand planes don't create dust, scrapers can create some smaller particles, but not what I would consider airborne dust.

As an aside;
Are you sure you haven't changed laundry soap, and that your washer is rinsing properly? Wiping the towel on your face may be getting soap into the pores while you sweat. It happened to me.

Andrew Hughes
12-22-2015, 9:54 AM
Maybe your maple has some inclusions or black streaks in it.Spalted maple is a fungus I think that made me sneeze.Or if there is a live edge that's could be it.
The pure white maple that's smells like clean paper should be safe. I too have many wood allergys and very rarely have too sand.

roger wiegand
12-22-2015, 12:42 PM
I'd also be more suspicious of a fungal contaminant or perhaps even trace poison ivy than an allergy to maple per se, especially if it's not a general reaction to other kinds of sawdust. If it's minor and you want to keep using it you might try some benadryl or other antihistamine, though be wary of using power tools with such drugs. Cortisone cream should treat it topically, hydrocortisone is OTC, if your rash doesn't respond get your doc to write a scrip for betamethasone, it's about 1000X more potent. See your dermatologist if it persists.

Steve Peterson
12-22-2015, 2:57 PM
Some web sites recommend a band aid test to determine if you are sensitive to a specific type of wood. Place some fine sawdust under a round band aid on your forearm. Leave it in place for 24 hours to see if you have a skin reaction at that spot. You could try maple and poplar to see if it is either one of those.

Steve

al heitz
12-22-2015, 3:19 PM
... unless you're also allergic to latex in the bandaid.

Chris Padilla
12-23-2015, 2:10 PM
Allergies develop over time. Contrary to popular belief, folks tend to develop problems being exposed to the same item over time as opposed to 'getting used to it'.

I agree with Andrew above. I bet there was some 'foreign substance' on/in the maple that you might be reacting to or perhaps it really is the maple that your skin is freaking out over. Think and review your situation carefully. It may have nothing to do with the wood. Maybe your towel has something on it? Maybe your wife used a new detergent to wash the towel?

Joe Beaulieu
12-23-2015, 5:18 PM
Hey Folks - great responses as usual. I was very skeptical that the maple was causing this. I went through the entire laundry list (ha - literally) with my wife. No changes that would cause this. It is quite off that I have it almost exclusively on my hairline - behind my ears, down my jaw line a bit, and across my forehead. I have a little bit on my stomach as well. I have been doing minor things in the shop to expose myself minimally to see what happened. No further problems. The rash is slowly going away, but is still there and driving me nuts itching. I have cortisone cream (OTC) and Benadryl for nighttime.

I am guessing I got something on my towel - possibly some pollen or fungus that was in the wood. The wood is very unremarkable - no crotch or burl or even significant knots. I do tend to use the towel aggressively. I bet I rubbed something in that didn't agree with my pansy skin and it will hopefully simply be the end of it. I am being cautious, just in case I have a far worse reaction, but so far I am not planning on selling anything. Well - nothing I wasn't planning on anyway.

Thanks folks - much appreciated.

Quick suck up rant...The value of this forum is no crap - no disrespect, no boorish behavior. I can come and ask an important question and get experienced, intelligent answers. I am really glad I found it, and appreciate the efforts of the moderators and the community in general very much. I belong to several music forums, being a lo0ngt tem guitarist. Its certainly a different world.

Joe