PDA

View Full Version : A Highly Recommended Book!

Al Launier
12-21-2015, 11:50 AM
I just responded to an enlightening thread that I hadn't seen before entitled “Do I dare take a sander to a jointer infeed & outfeed table? (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?164407-Do-I-dare-take-a-sander-to-a-jointer-infeed-amp-outfeed-table) by "Patrick G Rainsberger" (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?12667-quot-Patrick-G-Rainsberger-quot)
which included a recommendation I made for a book that I picked up a while back that I’m convinced would be very helpful to woodworkers. In essence it reads as follows:

I can certainly say I had my problems when I purchased my jointer as I couldn't get the jointer to mill a flat surface that was parallel to the top surface. Now, before anyone jumps the gun and states that a jointer is not supposed to mill parallel surfaces I must say I already know that. In my case, thinking I was doing something wrong, I even tried jointing boards that had been run through the planer and the result was still boards coming off the jointer that were like clapboards, tapered from one side to the other. I thought I was using the wrong technique, even after Glenn Bradley took pity on me and sent me a home-made video of him showing me the correct procedure for feed a board through a jointer. Still didn't work. I even had a local woodworking friend who who was very knowledgeable and very experienced try my jointer to no avail. What to do?

"I ran across a recommendation for a comprehensive book entitled "CARE and REPAIR of SHOP MACHINES", A Complete Guide to Setup, Troubleshooting, and Maintenance authored by JOHN WHITE. Let me say this is an extremely detailed and well written book with clearly stated procedures for maintaining shop machine tools. I followed the procedure detailed by John White and damn if that didn't completely take care of a jointer problem I had. The tables were not co-planar and required shimming to correct – a relatively easy fix. I can now enjoy jointing wood with complete confidence.

So, I would strongly recommend that anyone involved with equipment used in woodworking consider buying this book. It is everything it claims to be. It sells for only $19.95 and is a wealth of information for Table Saws, Jointers, Thickness Planers, Drill Presses, Router Tables, Miter Saws, and maintenance of other equipment. Please know that I have no affiliations with this author, or anyone connected to him or his retail sales other than being a one-time purchaser of this large, paper-back book that contains many illustrated photos. This would make a wonderful Christmas Present.