PDA

View Full Version : Proud to become an American

Rob Littleton
09-05-2005, 1:09 PM
I got notification Saturday that I have an appointment at my "local" INS office in November to become a US Citizen.

You can't believe what this means for me :-) I am ALL smiles......

I have to answer a bunch of questions and go through 2 hours of grilling but it is all gonna be worth it. I keep dual nationality too.

Just wanted to share. I have been on fire for this day for a LOOOOONG time.

Warren White
09-05-2005, 2:14 PM
Hi Rob,
As someone who lived in Arizona as a little boy (I lived in Clarkdale, near you), I get to be the first on the forum to say WELCOME to you as a new citizen!! We who were born here sometimes take for granted just what it means to be a citizen; it takes a reminder like you have posted to make us pause for a moment and appreciate all that it means.

What a great day for you, and for us. You have my best wishes.

Warren

Earl Reid
09-05-2005, 2:38 PM
Hi Rob, I also want to congradulate you as you become a new citizen of our great country and concur what Warren has said. I remember when our Daughter in Law took her oath May 3rd of 1985, the first thing she did was to register to vote :)
Earl :)

Matt Meiser
09-05-2005, 4:03 PM
Welcome Rob!

Now you'll have the right complain about the place like the rest of us! :rolleyes:

Rob Littleton
09-05-2005, 6:43 PM
you guys (Natives) can complain, but if you havent lived outside the US ever, you dont how good you got it.

I get your humor Matt;-). I probably will start once I say the oath coz I can vote then. Right now, I cant vote so I dont pay much attention to the happenings around me. I only see the good and believe me, there is a lot of that.

Thanks guys.

Welcome Rob!

Now you'll have the right complain about the place like the rest of us! :rolleyes:

Dennis Peacock
09-05-2005, 7:46 PM
Many CONGRATS to ya Rob.!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

I work with a buddy of mine who is Canadian and has been trying for a number of years to get through the process. Last he heard, he was on another 2 year waiting list. Congratulations to ya and I wish you the very best days ahead.

Jim Becker
09-05-2005, 8:38 PM
'Just remember you need to answer the questions in (American) English, Rob... LOL!! :D :D

Seriously, congratulations. I know you've been working towards this and I'm very happy for you. With any luck, "our girls" will become US Citizens in the same time frame... We'll have to have a major celebration all around!!!! :)

Steven Wilson
09-05-2005, 8:47 PM
Way to go. My wife received her US Citizenship a couple of years ago and that was a very proud moment for her - bring a camera and lots of film!

Rob Littleton
09-05-2005, 8:50 PM
I cant believe that my letter says I will be tested on my English.......hahahah........erm, and who is gonna be testing me????? The queen????? Anyhoo, I have to get studying coz I have to know 100 questions and its all about the country and politics. YUK!!!! checkout ins.gov for the list of questions. not sure the girls will have to know that stuff. maybe though.

They ask me if I am still married. I say, married yes, happily married , no.............JOKE!!!!!!!

'Just remember you need to answer the questions in (American) English, Rob... LOL!! :D :D

Seriously, congratulations. I know you've been working towards this and I'm very happy for you. With any luck, "our girls" will become US Citizens in the same time frame... We'll have to have a major celebration all around!!!! :)

Frank Hagan
09-05-2005, 9:48 PM
Rob, congratulations and welcome! It should be a great day for you. You'll have to make a flag case now :)

My wife once had a co-worker complain about a newly minted citizen from the Phillipines, and my wife turned to the person and asked who the second President was. She couldn't tell her, so my wife turned to the new citizen and asked, and of course she knew. Then she turned back to the co-worker and asked her to name the three branches of government, and of course she couldn't ... but the new citizen could. So at least you'll know more than a lot of natural born citizens once you get done with the 100 questions!

We are not so much a country steeped in long history or culture, but a people bound by some common ideals. That makes it easy for us to assimillate new people, because it is the common ideal that matters, not where you are from, or who your parents are. And its true that we often fall short of our ideals, but it is still our intention to have a government that secures for the common man the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. (Gee, now I'm getting all misty ...)

Andy Hoyt
09-05-2005, 10:20 PM
you guys (Natives) can complain, but if you havent lived outside the US ever, you dont how good you got it. .

I have lived abroad (way abroad) and as wonderful and terrifying as it was, there it absolutely nothing better than coming back to the states.

Welcome Home, Rob.

Dick Parr
09-06-2005, 12:18 AM
Congratulations Rob ;) :)

Ian Barley
09-06-2005, 3:38 AM
,,, and who is gonna be testing me????? The queen?????...Rob - She'd be no good to you - native German speaker I think!

Congratulations.

Karl Laustrup
09-06-2005, 6:37 AM
I want to add my congratulations to the mix here. :)

Glad to have you and it's sad but true, that you'll know more about American history than a majority of the "natural born citizens" here.

Karl

Peter Ulmanis
09-07-2005, 5:39 PM
Let me add my congratulations to all the others. As a naturalized citizen more than forty years ago, I still remember the thrill of becoming a citizen of the USA.

Back then we renounced all foreign allgence. Not a problem for me because I came to America with my parents at age three and got all my schooling here. I still take pride in my heritage but I am first and foremost an American.

And yes, I think know more about our US history than most.

Now get ready to be an informed voter. :)

Peter