PDA

View Full Version : Veneer Edges Swelling

Bob Lancaster2
12-21-2015, 11:04 AM
I’m using PSA Veneer applied to a metal (5” x 2”). I apply the veneer with a scraper and wait 24 hours before applying a water based clear coat. I apply the clear coat three times leaving 2-4 hours in-between coats. Everything works great and the veneer sticks very well.

My problem is after drying the veneer has swelled along the grain on both sides making a slight ridge on the sides. How can I prevent this?

Gerry Grzadzinski
12-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Don't use PSA veneer. Any veneer that is not adhered with a rigid glue line will give problems when finishing.
I'd try gluing the veneer with epoxy.

Peter Quinn
12-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Perhaps sealing with a non water based veneer may help? Like a seal coat of shellac first?

Bob Lancaster2
12-21-2015, 1:39 PM
The strange thing is I apply the veneer with about 1/8”~3/16” border overhang. I apply the clear coat, let dry, then trim. I thought any swelling would occur at the edges and the trimming would eliminate any swell.

John TenEyck
12-21-2015, 2:47 PM
Yes and no. How long did you wait before trimming? It could easily take 24 hours or more for all the moisture to leave. Plus, it will still expand/contract as the humidity changes and with that PSA it could grow over the edge quite a bit, or shrink shy of the edge.

John

Bob Lancaster2
12-21-2015, 3:48 PM
Actually I trimmed almost a week after I clear coated.