PDA

View Full Version : sharpening jig

Dave Fritz
12-21-2015, 10:38 AM
I'm no longer able to use my Wolverine sharping jig because the gouge isn't long enough for the usual set back. The base of the jig hits the ferrell and won't go back far enough. Any suggestions other than readjusting my vari-grind?

Thanks,

Dave Fritz

Michael Mason
12-21-2015, 11:24 AM
Sounds like it's time to buy a new gouge!

Michael Schneider
12-21-2015, 11:43 AM
I have not used this system, but I have my eye on one http://www.geigerssolutions.com/

The simple support for microbevels on detail gouges looks appealing.

Michael Schneider
12-21-2015, 11:50 AM
Sorry, I just noticed that is still uses the variagrind as the base system. Correction, Looks like the Ellsworth™ Grinding Jig can be used as well as the varigrind. The Ellsworth jig looks like it may handle a shorter gouge.

Dave Fritz
12-21-2015, 12:19 PM
I should have mentioned the gouge in question is a 3/8 inch deep fluted spindle gouge. It's not very long to begin with and hasn't been used much. I should have not made a handle for it, should have used a handle so it could be removed for sharpening.

Dale Bonertz
12-21-2015, 1:59 PM
Instead of buying a new gouge think about buying a collet handle. You can take your gouge out, sharpen it and put it back in quickly and easily.

allen thunem
12-21-2015, 3:35 PM
and while you have it out of the handle grind the shank of the tool fLAT

Brice Rogers
12-21-2015, 5:39 PM
If you cannot get the 2" (? is this correct?) overhang from the front of the Wolverine sharpening jig, consider only having perhaps 1-1/2 or 1-3/4 inch overhang and then pull in (towards the grinder) the anchor point a bit. That is, shorten the distance to the grinder wheel to maintain a fixed nose angle. I did some experimenting with overhangs from 1" to 2-1/4 inches, varying the distance from the grinder wheel face to the anchor/pivot point and found that I could easily keep the nose angle the same. There will be some differences in the side wings, but you would be surprised how minor that may be. I think that the front/nose angle is more important.

kevin nee
12-21-2015, 6:47 PM
When I get that short I practice my free hand sharpening. Congrats on wearing out a gouge you have probably learned a lot from new till now.