PDA

View Full Version : Roadside rescue wood

Tom Brouillette
12-21-2015, 8:07 AM
327548I scored a bunch of roadside wood this weekend, and don't know what it is. Can anybody help me out? I was attracted by the character in the heartwood. It is very green, and cuts like hot butter. It also has a noticable horse-diaper odor when first cut.

John K Jordan
12-21-2015, 8:26 AM
...the character in the heartwood. It is very green...

Assuming you mean the heartwood is a green color (and not using "green" to describe the wetness of the wood) then it could possibly be Tulip Poplar/Yellow Poplar, Liriodendron tulipifera. This wood is generally lighter in weight than many hardwoods such as walnut and cherry.

Of course, getting an accurate ID without other information can be difficult or impossible. A leaf would be ideal, followed by a clear transverse photo of the pores, or maybe even a good picture of the bark.

JKJ

Tom Brouillette
12-21-2015, 9:56 AM
The heartwood is rich dark brown in color. By "green" I am referring to the wetness of the wood. Like being shot with a squirt gun while roughing. I will take pictures of the bark. No leaves, as the wood was already cut to length.

Adam Petersen
12-21-2015, 11:55 AM
Probably cottonwood. I have a lot off that in my area and it stinks and throws off lots of water when turning. The cream color is like the stuff I've turned but I haven't seen any with the brown unless that's a bark inclusion.

Robert Henrickson
12-21-2015, 12:59 PM
Knowing what part of the country you are in would eliminate a lot of pointless speculation -- e.g., if you are in the northeast, possibilities would be quite different from southern California.

Tom Brouillette
12-21-2015, 4:30 PM
Outside of Memphis, TN.