PDA

View Full Version : How can I quiet a barking dog?

Frederick Skelly
12-21-2015, 4:54 AM
Neighbor goes out for the evening, every evening about 7pm. Leaves little Fido chained up outside. Fido starts barking within 5 minutes and often doesn't stop until neighbor comes home between 10pm and 11pm. Fido is tied directly behind my windows, so I get the brunt of the yip yip yip yip and the other neighbors aren't bothered (as much). Though they are also annoyed, they don't want to make it an issue. So I'm on my own here. Have (politely) talked to neighbor 4 times - they put the dog inide for a week and it's better. Then they start to forget and the problem returns. I don't want to do anything that will provoke neighbor (call police, harm dog, etc). I just want to stop the racket - I'm tired of using ear plugs. (Yes I have and yes it really is that bad.)

I'm considering some kind of electronic device that makes a high pitched noise when Fido barks. Anyone know of such a device that actually works? (I don't think I can convince the neighbor to let me use a shock collar sort of thing.)

Other (non-violent) options would be appreciated as well. I want to stop this with a minimum of "relationship damage", if possible.

Thanks guys.
Fred

Jay Pugsley
12-21-2015, 6:26 AM
Seems that you are more concerned with relationship damage than they are. You've talked to them 4 times and are still wearing earplugs? I have much less concern about my neighbors' feelings and relationship damage, and have much less tolerance than you. I would start calling the police, every time it happens, until the peace and tranquility was returned to my home. Good luck.

Barry McFadden
12-21-2015, 6:43 AM
You've tried to fix it yourself by talking to the neighbor but that hasn't worked. Call in a noise complaint. Not sure of the rules in your area but around here there is a zero tolerance noise policy in effect 24 hours a day. If they come and here the noise it's an automatic $450.00 fine and goes up with any additional complaints.

Jerry Thompson
12-21-2015, 7:14 AM
I had to resort to using our county's domestic arbitration department. This settled it. it took the neighbor 5 years before she would even look at me when she passed in her car. She stated that, ''The dog just hates them.'' as her defense.
The other neighbor would not stop his dog from barking. I started calling them the minute the animal started. He came to my door and could not figure out why I kept calling. I explained the it was extremely bothersome. To this he responded, ''Your are just intolerant.'' I kept calling and they finally have done an acceptable job with the dog.
I lost nothing by alienating these people.

Larry Frank
12-21-2015, 8:08 AM
I would talk to them one more time and tell them you will file a complaint or see a lawyer. That probably will not work and you will likely need to actually file a complaint.

I feel sorry for the dog and hope he does not take the worst of this problem.

glenn bradley
12-21-2015, 8:28 AM
I agree that good fences make good neighbors and I also try to be very tolerant of my neighbors since I run a wood shop in my garage. I do not run the machines before 7a or after 9p and they are not running continuously like a non-stop yapper. All comparisons aside, you have tried the polite approach.

There are bark triggered noisemakers that are supposed to train your dog when you are too lazy to do so but, at the distance you are talking about I do not know if they would work (I have a loathing of any dog owner that is just an owner and does not train their animal).

You could give it one more go and tell them how much you don't want this to become a big deal. After that I would be compelled to lodge a complaint. I would hate to start a petty "war" with a neighbor but, we all have to be tolerant AND responsible.

John K Jordan
12-21-2015, 8:58 AM
I'm considering some kind of electronic device that makes a high pitched noise when Fido barks. Anyone know of such a device that actually works

Frederick,

Many years ago I built a device with a simple oscillator whose frequency I varied with a potentiometer, a powerful amplifier, and a high-frequency speaker (I used a dome tweeter). I built this as an experiment and to play with my cats and dogs. The frequency could be turned up into the ultrasonic so I could not even hear it (although I could still feel it!) This thing really got the attention of my pets!

The interesting thing is I built a second one and gave it to a friend. This one had a tube over the speaker to better aim the sound. He lived in a neighborhood where dogs on three sides of his house would participate regular nighttime barking symphonies. He told all he had to do was stand on his back porch and sweep the neighborhood with this thing while changing the frequency - and ALL THE DOGS SHUT UP! He said it worked every time and eventually the dogs just gave up. Powerful ultrasonic sound might be painful for a dog.

I don't know if you can buy one but you might make one or have an electronics tinkerer friend make one for you.

Two other stories:

One: Years ago I was on the other end of the barking-dog controversy. A generally belligerent neighbor across the fence told me that my german shepherd barked incessantly from the minute I left until the minute I returned. I was horrified, but another neighbor said she never heard him bark. Hmmm.... I set up a reel-to-reel tape recorder on a very slow speed and recorded tapes over several days of the neighborhood. Not one bark from my dog any day! I could hear some other dogs faintly way off in the distance, cars, neighborhood kids, etc. When I told the neighbor he didn't even want to listen to my tapes! Never mentioned it again. Perhaps your neighbor would be willing to review an 8-hour recording of his dog barking.

Two: A previous neighbor where we live now got a blue tic hound from a puppy then left it chained up behind his house and gave it NO attention. No walking, grooming, vet care, nothing. The dog howled and barked a LOT when everyone was gone and that was a lot. Even when the guy was home and the dog barked he never even went outside or tried to get him to be quiet. My house is probably 900 ft away but I could still hear him inside the house. I solved this by spending some time with the dog, scratching his head, giving him treats, taking him for walks, etc. Eventually all I had to do was walk over there and speak to him and he settled down. Such interaction may not be possible in your case but maybe you could throw him some treats with a slingshot or something.

JKJ

Ted Calver
12-21-2015, 8:59 AM
Our neighborhood (two doors down) had an all day and sometimes all night long barking dog problem. The family refused to do anything about it. One day the dog stopped barking, with only an occasional yelp. We couldn't understand why, but were grateful. Turns out the neighbor on the other side of them got fed up and purchased an anti bark device that looked like a bird house and emitted some kind of annoying sound that hurt the dogs ears every time it barked. It worked until the family moved away. I had a similar problem with a dog that lived next door to my elderly MIL. Owner was actually belligerent when asked politely to control the barking, so we got the bird house and set it up....worked like a charm on the dog, but had no effect on the terrible neighbor.:(

Myk Rian
12-21-2015, 10:08 AM
Frederick,

Many years ago I built a device with a simple oscillator whose frequency I varied with a potentiometer,
A tone generator. Very easy to build, or check on Ebay for one.

Wade Lippman
12-21-2015, 10:11 AM
Our neighborhood (two doors down) had an all day and sometimes all night long barking dog problem. The family refused to do anything about it. One day the dog stopped barking, with only an occasional yelp. We couldn't understand why, but were grateful. Turns out the neighbor on the other side of them got fed up and purchased an anti bark device that looked like a bird house and emitted some kind of annoying sound that hurt the dogs ears every time it barked. It worked until the family moved away. I had a similar problem with a dog that lived next door to my elderly MIL. Owner was actually belligerent when asked politely to control the barking, so we got the bird house and set it up....worked like a charm on the dog, but had no effect on the terrible neighbor.:(

On Amazon 1/3rd say it doesn't work, but 1/3rd say it does, so it is worth a try for my neighbor. They normally try to be considerate, but when they are in a hurry they don't bother.
Will it bother my dog inside if it is outside? Well, would it bother her if she weren't deaf? Thunder doesn't bother her anymore because she can't hear it.

Randy Red Bemont
12-21-2015, 10:14 AM
This is what I use for my dog when we walk with her. She walks off leash because of where I live and this brings her right to my side if she needs a quick adjustment. It makes a noise that dogs do not like and for me it works like a champ. It does not work on all dogs but those it does it is like magic. Amazon has it and it's called "ultrasonic pet trainer".

Red

http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Ultrasonic-Remote-Trainer-PUPT-100-19/dp/B000A7GZB6/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1450710293&sr=1-1&keywords=ultrasonic+pet+trainer

John Ziebron
12-21-2015, 10:16 AM
Frederick,

I had a similar problem with a neighbor's dogs. I figured I could try something without souring a good relationship with these neighbors. So I purchased the sonic birdhouse made by Dogtek for $30. It senses the sound of the barking dog(s) but the range is limited, so keep that in mind if you go that route. It is a good product, but in my case only worked for a few days. I finally talked to the neighbor and if they bark for more than a few minutes they're let in the house. What I should have done was purchase an ultrasonic dog whistle, which are inexpensive, and try that for a while first. If that works and you want to go automatic then buy the birdhouse.

I have to disagree with John's method on his 2nd story. While it is admirable that he spends his time giving the neighbor's dog attention it doesn't solve the root problem. And he is trespassing which could be another problem. I don't understand why people like his neighbor get a dog if they don't take care of it. But since it is left outside and not taken care of, one can call the local humane society and they will come out (usually several times) and observe. If they feel the dog is being mistreated, which is what it sounds like in that case, they will notify the local authorities who will start by talking to the person. If things don't change the dog can be taken away.

Al Launier
12-21-2015, 10:41 AM
Take your pick.
https://www.google.com/search?q=anti+bark+device&oq=anti+bark+device&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8
This one claims to hear 75' and project sound 300'. If one dog barks others may join, so 300' could be advantageous.

Stan Calow
12-21-2015, 10:46 AM
There's no way to come out of this and be friends with your neighbor.

I've used a handheld device called the Dazzer. It works on about 75% of dogs I've used it on. But you have to be line-of-sight and relatively close to use it. I think that eventually dogs can get used to any of the ultrasonic devices.

For lots of people, even in good neighborhoods, the dog is not a pet but a guard.

Frederick Skelly
12-21-2015, 10:46 AM
Thanks for all this advice guys. I thought maybe you'd think I was being unreasonable. I may very well have to file a complaint but you've all given me a number of options to try first. The tone generator shouldn't be hard to find or have built - I know a couple engineers. The birdhouse and other devices, including the whistle, are all helpful to me.

Yes, these neighbors spend 0 time with the dogs. None. A few treats or even calling the humane society are other ideas I hadn't come up with. Taping the barking gave me a good idea - maybe I'll just invite the neighbor to come sit in my kitchen and listen.

Regardless of which ones I use, these were all VERY helpful. Thanks for your advice and support. I appreciate it!

Merry Christmas!
Fred

John K Jordan
12-21-2015, 12:55 PM
have to disagree with John's method on his 2nd story. While it is admirable that he spends his time giving the neighbor's dog attention it doesn't solve the root problem. And he is trespassing which could be another problem. I don't understand why people like his neighbor get a dog if they don't take care of it. But since it is left outside and not taken care of, one can call the local humane society and they will come out (usually several times) and observe. If they feel the dog is being mistreated, which is what it sounds like in that case, they will notify the local authorities who will start by talking to the person. If things don't change the dog can be taken away.

John,

I didn't take the time and space to mention I was on very good terms with these neighbors and had permission to handle their dog and take it for walks. I would catch it when it broke a collar and got loose and put it up in my barn if needed until they got home. I also had permission to be on their property, checked on their house when out, mowed their grass when he had surgery, plowed their garden, chainsawed, hauled off brush, etc, - trespassing was not a problem. Good relations with neighbors makes life easier.

The humane society and animal control were not concerned when contacted by another neighbor. (He was fed up and threatened to just shoot it.) There is apparently no law against tying up and ignoring your dog as long as it always has food and water and shelter. At least he kept the dog restrained in his own yard. Many people who live in the country believe it is cruel to restrain a dog so they let them run free. A lot of "free" dogs don't last long; they get shot by farmers and hunters and trigger-happy morons, get hit by cars, eaten by coyotes, or simply get lost. I fenced 1/4 acre of woods with 6' chain link to keep my own dogs safe.

Believe me, I have no problem with stepping in when an animal (or person!) is being mistreated. I work with the regional llama rescue organization and have transported and adopted llamas and alpacas that were taken away from owners who would or could not take care of them. I have taken loose dogs with collars to the animal shelter when they threatened my livestock - they told me once that the two dogs I brought had been picked up twice before and each time the fine goes up.

The neighbors with the barking dog were just that way with animals, they didn't have a clue. Some people simply have no business owning a dog. Perhaps I am an "animal person" - I take care of 49 animals on our farm here every day and have a reputation for quality care. I was more concerned about the dog than I was about the barking.

One interesting postscript: Last year a stray cat was around my barn every day for months and got into incredible bloody fights with my barn cats. I do not want a feral animal around with unknown diseases. I eventually caught it, a big mean male, intact and in pretty rough shape. It tried to take my hand off. I spent over $200 to get it neutered, tested for diseases, and all it's shots. I kept it in my shop for a few months until it was friendly before I let it go. Turned out to "belong" to those same neighbors, another animal, totally ignored and not even given basic vet care. The cat hung around until the neighbors moved and took the cat with them. Months later the cat showed up again at the barn, having traveled cross-country to get back. I guess my cat food was tastier or something. This is the second feral cat I've domesticated.

JKJ

Frank Drew
12-21-2015, 1:02 PM
I used my garden hose on a new neighbor's two dogs, who'd go crazy any time I walked in my side yard: the hose was long enough and the dogs' leashes short enough that they couldn't get away from the water. It only took two or three times before the dogs totally shut up; no damage to the dogs, except maybe to their dignity, and any return to that behavior was quickly squelched by simply showing them the hose.

Lee Schierer
12-21-2015, 3:26 PM
On Amazon 1/3rd say it doesn't work, but 1/3rd say it does, so it is worth a try for my neighbor. They normally try to be considerate, but when they are in a hurry they don't bother.
Will it bother my dog inside if it is outside? Well, would it bother her if she weren't deaf? Thunder doesn't bother her anymore because she can't hear it.

Sixty percent say this one works: Bird House Dog Bark COntrol (http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-Bark-Controller-Birdhouse-Shape/dp/B016Z28FGW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_sims?ie=UTF8)

No way to tell if your neighbors dog barks and sets off the device if it will bother your dog inside your house.

ken masoumi
12-21-2015, 4:01 PM
I like the idea of recording the dog barking ,just an hour of recording would do, then play it back for the owners, maybe if they actually hear how annoying their barking dog is, they might do something more permanent about it, you deserve peace and tranquility as much as everyone else in the neighbourhood.

Justin Ludwig
12-21-2015, 6:36 PM
A tone generator. Very easy to build, or check on Ebay for one.

My Dad used a tone generator in his left fist for a neighbor's German Shepherd back when I was a kid. I think the dog's ears rang a tone for the rest of its life. After that he could slide open his bedroom window and the dog would shut up.

The neighbors actually thanked him, as they could never get it to shut up.

John Ziebron
12-21-2015, 11:33 PM
Hi John,

I didn't mean to insinuate that you were doing something wrong. I just wouldn't want to see another animal lover get in trouble. So I'm glad you clarified the relationship with this neighbor. I know first hand about the rules of food, water and shelter but I still feel bad about an animal that has to live in those conditions. About 15 years ago, my first rural home, there was a neighbor that left a dog outside all the time. Not good friends, but we would acknowledge each other when seen outside. We eventually called the Humane Society and they came out but could do nothing because of the rules. The poor dog would inadvertently spill his water bowl with his chain and be thirsty all day, especially bad during a hot summer day. Then there was a woman who traveled our road every day to and from work and finally one early winter day stopped at our house and asked if the dog was brought in at night. When we told her no, she paid to have several bales of straw delivered and arranged around the dog house. When the neighbors came home from work later they figured we had that done and never spoke to us again - no loss there. But they at least left the straw in place.

Sadly, you're right about some people simply should not own a dog. And I know what you mean about people letting dogs run free. I've seen too many dogs hit by vehicles, more in the suburbs than in the rural areas I've lived. I am an animal person, but am especially fond of dogs, having raised 17 puppies for Leader Dogs for the Blind here in Michigan. One of the requirements is to have a fenced in area.

I wish there were more people like you around; keep up the good work. That feral cat obviously knows a good person when he sees him. ;-)

Jim Koepke
12-22-2015, 2:28 AM
This is the second feral cat I've domesticated.

Some of my favorite cats were from the ranks of the feral.

We had three at our old home in California. Our neighbor fed any and all strays and some wondered into our garage and didn't want to leave. When we moved to Washington two feral cats came with the house and there were the three we brought with us. That was a challenge in itself because two didn't want to come along. My wife thought it would be okay to take one out to the car on a leash. The cat didn't want to go along with that, broke free and we didn't catch him for a few more months. He is now happy to be up in the country. He is also the last cat that came with us from our old home, the other two and one that was here when we came have passed on.

jtk

Patrick Walsh
12-22-2015, 6:31 AM
I feel bad for the dog or any dogs in range of one of those devices.

Do these devices work on screaming children. I have a screaming kid problem in my little neighborhood.

This sounds terrrible of me but these parents let their kids scream and yell while playing in a very thickly settled neighborhood. Its bad, think dead end streeet homes on postage stamp lots maybe 25 houses and 30 kids under the age of 10!

It has completely destroyed any chance of piece and relaxation spring, summer and fall. Try telling a parent to shut up their screaming kid. Not gonna happen. Any device i can use on kids?

John K Jordan
12-22-2015, 9:27 AM
these parents let their kids scream and yell while playing in a very thickly settled neighborhood. Its bad, think dead end streeet homes on postage stamp lots maybe 25 houses and 30 kids under the age of 10!

I lived in the city for 35 years and even though we had a large wooded lot bordering on undeveloped green belt, I was glad to move. Our farm is 27 acres, wooded with maybe 1/3 fields, surrounded by woods on three sides. Most of the time the loudest thing I hear is my fat little donkeys crying for food.

Your situation would drive me crazy.

JKJ

Mike Cutler
12-22-2015, 10:15 AM
Neighbor goes out for the evening, every evening about 7pm. Leaves little Fido chained up outside. Fido starts barking within 5 minutes and often doesn't stop until neighbor comes home between 10pm and 11pm. Fido is tied directly behind my windows, so I get the brunt of the yip yip yip yip and the other neighbors aren't bothered (as much). Though they are also annoyed, they don't want to make it an issue. So I'm on my own here. Have (politely) talked to neighbor 4 times - they put the dog inide for a week and it's better. Then they start to forget and the problem returns. I don't want to do anything that will provoke neighbor (call police, harm dog, etc). I just want to stop the racket - I'm tired of using ear plugs. (Yes I have and yes it really is that bad.)

I'm considering some kind of electronic device that makes a high pitched noise when Fido barks. Anyone know of such a device that actually works? (I don't think I can convince the neighbor to let me use a shock collar sort of thing.)

Other (non-violent) options would be appreciated as well. I want to stop this with a minimum of "relationship damage", if possible.

Thanks guys.
Fred

Fred

Many years ago I had this same problem while working an extended night shift. I loaned my neighbors my Innotek Bark Collar.The same one I used on my dogs. They work just fine, and the dog corrects it's own behavior.
They were a little put off at first, but used it.
It was easy for me, as I already had the collar, but a quality bark collar can be a little expensive. Me personally I would talk to them and let them know that it is either the bark collar, they keep the pooch inside, or you contact the local authorities.
It's not an easy solution.

Patrick Walsh
12-26-2015, 10:29 PM
Im working really hard to make your donkey problem my biggest problem also. I'm saving and preparing to move to the country. My dream pet is actually a miniature donkey. Well unless i find out that the miniature ones suffer the same type health issues a pure breed dog does. Then a full size one will do just fine. A few goat a couple cows, some sheep and a bunch of birds. A rooster and what are those birds with red, blue, yellow and green heads. Crap i want one so bad but cant remember what they are.

The kids drive me nuts. Well actually the parents are what drive me nuts. After all they are the ones that do not teach their children to have respect and or consideration for others. Simple fact is you cant teach something you don't have yourself.

I'm far from perfect but i try to keep to myself as not to become other peoples problem lol.

I lived in the city for 35 years and even though we had a large wooded lot bordering on undeveloped green belt, I was glad to move. Our farm is 27 acres, wooded with maybe 1/3 fields, surrounded by woods on three sides

. Most of the time the loudest thing I hear is my fat little donkeys crying for food.

Your situation would drive me crazy.

JKJ

Moses Yoder
12-27-2015, 8:07 AM
You could record the dog barking for a while and then park your car outside the neighbor's house at 2 am and crank it up.

A new neighbor moved in with a barking dog here. We became friendly with the neighbor and then started feeding the dog meat scraps from our meals. He is very friendly now.