PDA

View Full Version : Sorry if its been done - Need to know about helical head options for planers

Joe Beaulieu
12-20-2015, 10:03 PM
Hey Folks,
I am sure this has been covered here a number of times, but I would like to know current opinions about a helical cutter head upgrade vs buying a new lunchbox planer. I have an older Dewalt 733 planer. It is actually in very good condition, it basically sat for a long time before I got my shop in California together. But like most of these inexpensive machines it does a fair job. I am considering replacing the head with a Byrd helical head, but I am not sure if simply buying a new machine with the head installed isn't a smarter move. The upgrade looks a little daunting. Has anyone done it, and if so, did you need anything special for tools? In particular - was a gear puller necessary? What about a torque wrench? I own neither of those tools. I am pretty good mechanically, but I have read that this is a much tougher process than Byrd makes it out to be.

If the new planer is the better option, anyone have a recommendation? One option I saw that surprised me was a Steel City branded machine on EBay for a very attractive price. It is Taiwanese. I know Steel City went belly up earlier this year. Is it a knock off? Did they simply buy the name? Is it legit? I am pretty skeptical about it, but Steel City had a go0od rep for a while there and sold their machines for aggressive prices. Is this for real? There are a few other machines just over $500 that seem to be OK deals. These all have the helical head. General makes a machine, and a company called "Cutech" I have never heard of.

Any feedback on the process or on new machines would be most welcome. Thanks folks, and have a great holiday!

Joe

Dimitrios Fradelakis
12-20-2015, 10:14 PM
I can't comment on how difficult it would be to install on the 733 but I did put a helical head from Byrd in my Delta DC-380 15" planer.

It was a pain in the neck but after a few hours and 2 attempts on sealing the gear box with a new gasket it was done. Definitely a task that will take some time and test your patience but well worth it. I would not spend the money on a helical head for your current set up. Have you looked at the current Grizzly models that already have a helical head installed? For the price you'll get a larger, more powerful machine plus the head will be already installed for you.

John Schweikert
12-20-2015, 10:22 PM
Some info:

The Dewalt DW733 had type 1 and type 2 versions. Type 1 733 models are not upgradeable to a Byrd head but the type 2 versions are. You can see the price at holbren.com. I own a 733 type 1 and learned about all this when I too was interested in adding a Byrd head. Instead, I bought a Makita 2012NB during last holiday, solid machine, very happy and perfectly content with the straight blades. While I do have a Byrd head on my Jet jointer, I realized it just wasn't that important to have one in a planer.

The Steel City helical head planers had two versions as well, one with HSS square inserts and one with carbide square inserts. And other rebadged models by other brands might be the same too. Due diligence is needed to know which one you see on ebay. The HSS inserts will not last anywhere near as long as carbide ones, and also only have two sides to use instead of the 4 sides on a Byrd carbide square insert. My only advice is if you really want a helical head lunchbox planer, then get one with carbide inserts.

Jim Ringo
12-21-2015, 10:44 AM
I put a Byrd head in my 733. It wasn't a bad job at all; it took about an hour or so. I watched several youtube videos beforehand of folks swapping out the heads on their 734 which helped considerably as the process is very similar. You don't need a gear puller or torque wrench.

The results are pretty great... very little tearout in figured woods and the inserts last just about forever. I've had several thousand board feet of tough tropical hardwoods through it with no degradation in the cut. One bonus I didn't count on is that I can lower the head super low in order to plane very thin stock... even going to 1/8" thick is no problem.

Joe Beaulieu
12-21-2015, 2:32 PM
I put a Byrd head in my 733. It wasn't a bad job at all; it took about an hour or so. I watched several youtube videos beforehand of folks swapping out the heads on their 734 which helped considerably as the process is very similar. You don't need a gear puller or torque wrench.

The results are pretty great... very little tearout in figured woods and the inserts last just about forever. I've had several thousand board feet of tough tropical hardwoods through it with no degradation in the cut. One bonus I didn't count on is that I can lower the head super low in order to plane very thin stock... even going to 1/8" thick is no problem.

Hey Jim

That is great. Pretty much what I was looking for. I just need to find out if my 733 can be upgraded. Apparently there are two versions. I really appreciate the feedback, although IF I can find a deal I amy go for a new one. Mine being 13 or more years old, despite the low mileage, scares me. Parts might be an issue.

Stay tuned! We'll see what happens. Again - everyone - much appreciated.

Joe