PDA

View Full Version : New grizzly g0766 lathe

Chip Palmer
12-20-2015, 3:30 PM
Upgraded froma crafstman to grizzly g0766, love it quiet, powerful, 22 bed height, forward-reverse, dial in speed, Anybody want a used lathe?

Roger Chandler
12-20-2015, 3:35 PM
Hey.......time to celebrate. Congrats Chip! :)

David C. Roseman
12-20-2015, 4:31 PM
Chip, why not keep the Craftsman as a second lathe? Those grandkids are going to want to join you in the shop before too long. :)

Brice Rogers
12-20-2015, 6:05 PM
My first lathe was a Craftsman 9" perhaps circa 1950. I haven't used it since I got my G0766. I'm in the same shoes as Chip, not sure exactly what to do with it.

David Boardman
12-21-2015, 8:04 PM
I was just informed mine is ready for pickup from my local ups facility!

Brice Rogers
12-21-2015, 8:18 PM
I was just informed mine is ready for pickup from my local ups facility!

Make sure to bring something with you (ropes, boards, etc.) to keep the lathe from sliding around in the bed of your pickup truck. When I picked mine up from the UPS facility, it felt like I had been rear-ended the first time I touched the brakes. 600 plus pounds sliding 1-1/2 to 2 feet forward (or backward) has a lot of energy.

Good luck with your new lathe.

Roger Chandler
12-21-2015, 9:48 PM
Make sure to bring something with you (ropes, boards, etc.) to keep the lathe from sliding around in the bed of your pickup truck. When I picked mine up from the UPS facility, it felt like I had been rear-ended the first time I touched the brakes. 600 plus pounds sliding 1-1/2 to 2 feet forward (or backward) has a lot of energy.

Good luck with your new lathe.

Ratchet straps! Can't beat 'em for securing a load!

Robert Willing
12-21-2015, 11:44 PM
Just ordered one tonight.

Dok Yager
12-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Congrats Chip! Loving mine everyday. Brice I whole heartedly agree with Roger ratchet straps are Great.

David Boardman
12-22-2015, 6:53 PM
The only issue I had picking mine up is when I got to the ups facility there was only two employees and both were older ladies. They were nice but other than bringing it out of a truck on a lift they were no help. They wouldn't put it in the back of my truck because the ramp down to the ground level was wet. She dropped it about a foot from the edge of a truck gate and watched me push it over the edge the. Jump the 2.5 feet down to the bed of my truck and pull it until I could gentle set one end on my bed. The. I had to use a 2x4 for leverage to get the other side moving. Finally I just picked up the other end and pushed it into my bed and set it down. I probably have a hernia now but I didn't have a choice it was that or nothing. I had a helper to get it out of the truck so that wasn't too bad.

Sam Force
12-22-2015, 11:31 PM
I have been looking hard at those lathes, I see 1 in my future I believe

Robert Willing
12-23-2015, 9:00 PM
Mine is due Wednesday next week. I bought a hydraulic lift table from Grizzly to help assembly go smother.

Robert Willing
12-27-2015, 9:36 PM
I wonder why Grizzly chose that type of electrical plug? Sure had a difficult time finding one at HD. I am going to need to use an extension cord, and plan on using 12awg rather than the 14awg recommended, but it sure is a chore finding the correct mating parts at HD. I finally had to order the male one from Amazon. It seem like there are others as capable but this plug combination seems to be out of place.

Roger Chandler
12-27-2015, 10:25 PM
NEMA 6-15 plug. I got an outlet at Lowes for my lathe with no problems. Any electrical supply should have one as well. I actually got a 20 amp plug that will accommodate either a NEMA 6-15 or a NEMA 6-20 plug. I used 12/2 Romex with ground for my electrical hook up. A dedicated circuit from the sub-panel box for my shop.

David C. Roseman
12-28-2015, 11:17 AM
Robert, what other plug would you suggest Grizzly use? :confused: A NEMA 6-15 male plug is the correct plug for a receptacle serving a 15A, 240V circuit. It is quite standard. As you note, Grizzly specs 15A as the minimum circuit size for that lathe. The plug also fits (and is approved for) a NEMA 6-20 receptacle in a 20A, 240V circuit, probably what most of us use in our shops where we need 220-240V. I think the problem you ran into is trying to make up an extension cord with NEMA 6-15 plugs. I doubt there's much demand at HD and Lowes for 15A, 220-240V do-it-yourself extension cords. As Roger says, an electrical jobber supply will have the 15A plugs, but since you are using 12 AWG cable anyway, just make up a cord using NEMA 6-20 male and female plugs and plug your lathe into a NEMA 6-20r receptacle. HD stocks plenty of those plugs and receptacles. Have fun with the new lathe!

Robert Willing
12-28-2015, 11:23 AM
Lowes may have one but they are 83 miles away and HD is 38 miles. I live in the sticks and the closest big towns are 1.5 hours away. HD is in Iron Mountain, MI, Lowes is in Marquette, MI so just about everything unusual we get is on line. I am having a male plug delivered by UPS on Tuesday.

In my garage (which is detached from my house, and is my shop) I have a dedicated circuit for 220v which was an old dryer plug when we were living above that garage during our home build. So I am converting that plug from 30a to 20a and a smaller size plug to match the 6-15. I am also using #12awg for this extension cord.

I have two garages one attached to the house and one unattached.

My electrical system is a little more complicated than most I installed 16 solar panels in 2012, and a wind generator in 2009 which are grid tied. All of these are fed thru the unattached garage and than this garage feeds the main house. I installed the solar panels myself so I am familiar with electrical work, I was also an electrician in the US Navy in 1962.

I wish we had more store near here but that's the disadvantage of having peace and quiet up here in the UP.

Robert Willing
12-29-2015, 4:14 PM
Robert, what other plug would you suggest Grizzly use? :confused: A NEMA 6-15 male plug is the correct plug for a receptacle serving a 15A, 240V circuit. It is quite standard. As you note, Grizzly specs 15A as the minimum circuit size for that lathe. The plug also fits (and is approved for) a NEMA 6-20 receptacle in a 20A, 240V circuit, probably what most of us use in our shops where we need 220-240V. I think the problem you ran into is trying to make up an extension cord with NEMA 6-15 plugs. I doubt there's much demand at HD and Lowes for 15A, 220-240V do-it-yourself extension cords. As Roger says, an electrical jobber supply will have the 15A plugs, but since you are using 12 AWG cable anyway, just make up a cord using NEMA 6-20 male and female plugs and plug your lathe into a NEMA 6-20r receptacle. HD stocks plenty of those plugs and receptacles. Have fun with the new lathe!

PASS & SEYMOUR L620P CONNECTOR, POWER ENTRY, PLUG, 20A there seem to be more of these out there.

John Keeton
12-29-2015, 6:41 PM
I wish we had more store near here but that's the disadvantage of having peace and quiet up here in the UP.Well, that and bitter cold temps and waist deep snow!!:D

David Boardman
12-30-2015, 5:21 PM
I have found that every 220 tool I buy has a different plug! I just put a new end on the machine to match the 220 plug I like to use in my shop. All of my tools have had new plugs put on them and now I have 4 220 machines with the twist lock 20 amp plugs. They are pricey but they are beefy and if I decide to move stuff around I can plug my compressor or dust collector in at different spots. I just by standard practice put in 20 amp double pole breakers with 12/2 romex to the outlet boxes..

Mark Beers
01-01-2016, 4:26 PM
Hi all. My first post on the forum, and I thought it was appropriate to do it here since I picked up my G0766 yesterday at UPS and got it set up and operating today. As far as getting the correct outlet, I got that at Home Depot, no problem. Lathe went together pretty easily but it was a bit chore getting all the pieces down to the basement. Got most of it myself after breaking it down into it’s major parts, and was able to set the motor and belt drive right down off of my truck into my trusty wheelbarrow. My wife helped to stabilize the one leg that did not want to stand up by itself, but other than that - no issues. Crate was perfect, machine looks good and runs well. Pretty quiet, but of course I have only run in for a few minutes. Lots of work left in the shop to put it back together after blowing it up to create a place for the lathe, but that was work I needed to do anyhow.
Anyhow - good luck to all of you who either just got or have ordered this model. I think I am going to be very happy and I am sure you will be to.

Chip Palmer
01-01-2016, 8:57 PM