PDA

View Full Version : Bought a New Cordless Drill

Jim Koepke
12-20-2015, 2:55 PM
My old Makita finally died. Bought some new batteries a few years ago, they seemed to be losing their charge quicker. The transmission would skip at times when changing speeds. Finally the trigger switch started to be a bit flakey. If a replacement switch was less than the prices I found I might have replaced it and limped along. With new batteries being needed soon, it seemed like time to shop for new. When I brought it up with my wife she said, "I have been hinting at you to replace that thing for a few years now." She has her good points, think I'll keep her.

So looked around and settled on the DeWALT DC970K-2, 1/2", 18V kit.

There was a difference in price depending on the choice of local store. Of course the low price retailer didn't show it in stock. The highest price was $30 higher than the low price and the middle was +$10 over the low price. Called the high price dealer and talked to the manager. He said he could come in between the other two. I would have been happy with a price match to the second lowest price.

That is my kind of customer service and he got my business. Of course we bought a few other items in the store.

Remember, if you don't ask you will never know. I did start with, "this has to be the hardest part of having a small store... "

Now for the interesting part. My Makita had battery packs that were sealed. The DeWALT has screws around the perimeter of the battery case. I am not about to take apart a new battery, but when the time comes this looks like a great thing for those of us who would venture to repair our own batteries.

I have only driven a few screws with it so far, but it seems to have a lot more power than my old cordless drill.

jtk

Bruce Page
12-20-2015, 3:19 PM
I hope you have good luck with it. I'll never buy anything with Ni-Cad batteries again. I'm on my 3rd set of batteries for my DeWalt 14v drill.

Brian Henderson
12-20-2015, 3:30 PM
I hope you have good luck with it. I'll never buy anything with Ni-Cad batteries again. I'm on my 3rd set of batteries for my DeWalt 14v drill.

Same here, I'm done with anything but LiON. They discharge too fast, they slow down, they wear out. I've never had to buy new batteries for my current set and I use it constantly.

Mike Henderson
12-20-2015, 3:58 PM
Same here, I'm done with anything but LiON.
Me, too. But the reason is weight. The Li ion batteries are so much lighter than the older technology. I had good experience with the DeWalt 18V tools but I eventually made the switch to the 20V tools, primarily because of the tool weight. And the major factor was the battery weight.

Amazon has (or had) a $25 off on $100 of DeWalt tools. They had a $99 DeWalt 20V drill/ driver and if you added a $2 DeWalt accessory you would be over the $100. That made the 20V drill a bit over $75.

Mike

Bruce Page
12-20-2015, 5:12 PM
Me, too. But the reason is weight. The Li ion batteries are so much lighter than the older technology. I had good experience with the DeWalt 18V tools but I eventually made the switch to the 20V tools, primarily because of the tool weight. And the major factor was the battery weight.

Amazon has (or had) a $25 off on $100 of DeWalt tools. They had a $99 DeWalt 20V drill/ driver and if you added a $2 DeWalt accessory you would be over the $100. That made the 20V drill a bit over $75.

Mike
It looks like that ship has sailed. They do have a 20v Li for $99 but it's not eligible for the $25 off deal. I'm still tempted..

Mike Henderson
12-20-2015, 5:18 PM
It looks like that ship has sailed. They do have a 20v Li for $99 but it's not eligible for the $25 off deal. I'm still tempted..

Sorry to hear that. I guess too many people jumped on that. A friend of mine got one after I pointed the deal out to him.

[If you do a lot of screws, consider the kit with the drill and the impact driver. The 20V impact driver is pretty good.]

Mike