PDA

View Full Version : Magic of Tidying Up

Bill Adamsen
12-20-2015, 12:34 PM
Just finished a book given to me by my lovely wife, on adopting life-changing habits. The lessons learned were used to rid my closet of everything that didn't "spark joy." That was pretty easy and immensely satisfying. My closet is now almost barren and finding what is left has become enchantingly trivial. I also have a lot of new cleanup rags in the shop.

I decided to see if I could apply the same approach to my workshop. For instance I have perhaps twenty five or so chisels (lots of TH Witherby - I have a house near Winsted) and that seemed like something that could be paired down. I passed the plane rack on my way towards the chisels. The Record 778 duplex rabbet and filletster jumped out as an opportunity to divest. Of course it needed a little elbow grease to show properly. I sharpened the blade, ground the sole flat and generally tuned up. It now cuts so nice that I'm inclined to keep it. So much for the magic of tidying up.

Perhaps I'll just dump all my slotted head screws.

Christopher Charles
12-20-2015, 1:33 PM
Great book. Only a fool parts with his tools. Scraps on the other hand...

Jim Koepke
12-20-2015, 2:35 PM
My workbench was covered with a bunch of scraps and tools a couple of days ago. Cleaned it off to start a new project. Now the bench is covered again. At least this time it is with parts for the project that will clear themselves from the bench as the project goes together.

jtk

george wilson
12-20-2015, 6:32 PM
I need to invoke some of that magic in my shop!:)

David Eisenhauer
12-20-2015, 7:15 PM
What is it about scraps, drop-offs and general leftover odd-sized pieces that is so hard to dispose of? "This ripped-edge drop off can be used to stir finishes with later on" . I must have an accumulated mile of that stuff saved up. "This beefier edge rip can be used as a long story stick for bookcases, kitchen cabinets, etc". Just how many more long items am I going to build at this stage of my life?. "I could use these small square/rectangle leftovers to make some small boxes one day". Again, just how many small boxes are we realistically talking about here. 50? Really?

Mike Allen1010
12-21-2015, 1:45 AM
What is it about scraps, drop-offs and general leftover odd-sized pieces that is so hard to dispose of? "This ripped-edge drop off can be used to stir finishes with later on" . I must have an accumulated mile of that stuff saved up. "This beefier edge rip can be used as a long story stick for bookcases, kitchen cabinets, etc". Just how many more long items am I going to build at this stage of my life?. "I could use these small square/rectangle leftovers to make some small boxes one day". Again, just how many small boxes are we realistically talking about here. 50? Really?

Dude, I'm right there with you. My autos parts store has some kind of promotion where you get a free 5 gallon bucket w/ purchase of x$. I've accumulated several for storing scraps. When their all full, one become firewood. Problem is where we live fireplace season doesn't last very long so the rest of the year scraps just pile up.

Bob Glenn
12-21-2015, 9:44 AM
I just did this with my old wood working magazines. Went through them all, cutting out articles of interest. I've forwarded the balance of the magazines to a wood working friend who is just getting started. Lots of shelf space now.

David Eisenhauer
12-21-2015, 9:47 AM
Magazines? "Oh I can use these for reference.". Another whole issue for me. I will sell my collections for gas money to drive to the "mail store" to send them away. The bookcases are groaning.

Tom Vanzant
12-21-2015, 10:53 AM
I just donated 15+ years of three WW magazines to our neighborhood High School WW shop.

Bill Adamsen
12-21-2015, 12:33 PM
Yes it has been too warm - at least in these parts, until now - to start a fire. Feels like that might be changing. So those scraps may soon go to good use and I will be free of more clutter. Speaking of clutter, I had several extra police dog training boxes left over and kicking around the corner of the shop. I cut them down and glued three of them up to make this handy little kindling box. De-cluttering squared.

Jim Koepke
12-21-2015, 12:52 PM
Speaking of scraps, this year I have decided in the spirit of the Magic of Tidying Up to burn the less promising pieces.

When the grandkids were here they asked me about all my scraps and they were told they could use them if they wanted. Sadly due to family health issues their stay was cut short.

I did get a chance to have some fun with them. With a piece of 2X4 scrap I made this:

I took it inside and started talking to the kids about how I am always thinking how I can make something to sell from the scraps. I showed them the piece and said I have figured how to get forty bucks out of this...

Of course they all wanted to know how. So I turned it around and opened the drawer:

They thought it was cool.

jtk

Bill Adamsen
12-21-2015, 1:29 PM
Haha! That's a pun everyone can love ...

Jeffrey Martel
12-21-2015, 2:01 PM
I started doing that after delivering my most recent project last weekend. Worked well until I brought home an old full sized Delta lathe a couple days later.

Tony Zaffuto
12-21-2015, 7:56 PM
I've found as soon as I toss something, I'm running to the store to buy it.

BIL says my basement looks like a hardware store to him-but that's the result of not tossing! You see this actually saves money also, because there is not a single one of us that can go into a hardware store, a lumberyard or even a borg and walk out with a single item.

As far as slotted screws, toss them my way!

Jim Koepke
12-22-2015, 1:29 AM
As far as slotted screws, toss them my way!

They are also my preferred fastener.

jtk

george wilson
12-22-2015, 7:40 AM
I bought 2 tons (Yes,4000#) worth of 1950's slotted screws at an auction several years ago. They were getting rid of a OLD ship fitting company in Hampton. It was like going back into time inside the huge warehouse. Lots of WWII vintage stuff,too. I wish I'd also bought their huge stock of machine screws,but they would have nearly filled up my whole shop !

These screws are so much better than anything now available: Their threads are CUT,not stamped out. Their slots are SAWN,not punched in. The edges of the flat head screws are SHARP,not blunted like modern screws. And,there is no plating on any of them. They are made of considerably better steel than new screws(or they would not have been able to stand the force of having those broad screw threads being cut).

I still have hundreds of pounds left,but we (Jon and I),sold thousands to museums all over the Eastern seaboard. Some of the old cardboard boxes are coming apart,but these screws are invaluable to anyone who builds period furniture. And,they come 144 in a box,NOT 100 like modern screws.

Most are o.k.,but some have gotten a little rusty,being near the sea for many decades. But,a quick soak in muriatic acid followed by drying with heat and adding a little oil takes care of that quickly.

I HATE Phillips head screws. They are a detail that DESTROYS the looks of an otherwise nicely made antique style piece. Besides that,they are just UGLY in general.

I have been told that old screws like these have sold on Ebay for $.25 each! We didn't charge that kind of money!

Bill Adamsen
12-22-2015, 9:47 AM
Thank you for sharing George. Your comments point out that the effort to automate (self-centering screws for instance) has detractions that may not be immediately obvious. We are fortunate to have a connection to someone (you) able to communicate the folly of this thinking. Well perhaps not the folly, but certainly understanding the tradeoffs.

I use a good many silicon bronze screws which typically are either slotted (old stock) or Frearson head (Reed & Prince). They appear to be machine cut with sharp edges and while perhaps not quite as strong as steel, they do have their special properties. I show a selection below. These are expensive and I pay from 20¢ to $2 each depending on size and store. The Frearson is a cross drive screw head with straight sides. It looks like a phillips but is not. The phillips was designed to cam out, whereas the Frearson provides maximum drive. It can be driven with a phillips head drive but of course the advantages are then lost.

Silicon bronze screws are a nice blend of strength and corrosion resistance so they are well suited for boat building especially where they might provide the traditional aesthetic appearance.

Ok, so I guess I'm not throwing out the slotted head screws. That means I'm not getting much traction in tidying up the shop. Marie Kondo would be very disappointed.

Tony Zaffuto
12-22-2015, 5:21 PM
They are also my preferred fastener.

jtk

Those that have problems with them just ne d to use the correct size driver!

Barry Dima
12-22-2015, 8:24 PM
... so where can a boy buy some quality slotted-head screws? Because I'm pretty mad at soft BORG Phillips screws anymore, and while square drives are pretty wonderful, they can look a bit out of place.

(Sorry for the further derail.)

Jim Koepke
12-22-2015, 10:50 PM
... so where can a boy buy some quality slotted-head screws? Because I'm pretty mad at soft BORG Phillips screws anymore, and while square drives are pretty wonderful, they can look a bit out of place.

(Sorry for the further derail.)

I buy mine from Fastenal. Not sure if they have a store in your area.

https://www.fastenal.com/

jtk

Christopher Charles
12-22-2015, 10:54 PM
"Ok, so I guess I'm not throwing out the slotted head screws. That means I'm not getting much traction in tidying up the shop. Marie Kondo would be very disappointed."

Ah, that you've taken the time to share their virtues implies you find joy in them as art in and of themselves. So perhaps she would not be disappointed :)