PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw woes... bad welds or something else?

Jim Ringo
12-19-2015, 6:38 PM
I recently switched vendors for bandsaw blades due to getting too many bad welds (about 1 in 3 blades was causing problems)... at least I *thought* they were bad welds. I am resawing mainly rosewoods, ebonies, and similar on an 18" Laguna saw with a Lenox Woodmaster carbide blade with the tension really cranked up if that makes a difference.

Anyway I ordered a few new blades from a new supplier and all three seem like bad welds. The symptoms are the same as the previous supplier: the blades track just fine and cut well, but there seems a little front to back play where I feel a little 'tick tick tick' as I feed the wood like someone is tapping on the other end of the board with a little hammer. It feels pretty much just like when a blade is about to break which when you're running a 1" blade is just nerve wracking.

I've assumed this was due to a bad weld, but getting so many in a row, and from multiple suppliers makes me think I could be missing something... is there anything I should look at on my saw or its setup that could possibly be contributing?

Bruce Page
12-19-2015, 6:47 PM
Jim, is the weld perfectly smooth on the back edge of the blade? I have had small weld bumps that make a tic,tic,tic sound when pushed against the rear thrust bearing. I file/stone the weld edge flush.

Andrew Hughes
12-19-2015, 8:38 PM
If there is no lump like Bruce mentions.Then it might be concave and I hate blade that dump in and out of the cut.Check with your starret ruler.Should be able too see what up or down.If the blade cuts good I would use it and play the hand your dealt. bummer though.

Jim Ringo
12-20-2015, 10:40 AM
Yes there is just a little daylight between the backs of the bands and a 6" straight edge at the weld, maybe 1/64th". I wonder if that is a somewhat standard tolerance and my expectations are too high... I sure hope not because it has turned resawing from a pleasure to a dreaded chore.

glenn bradley
12-20-2015, 10:46 AM
Yes there is just a little daylight between the backs of the bands and a 6" straight edge at the weld, maybe 1/64th". I wonder if that is a somewhat standard tolerance and my expectations are too high... I sure hope not because it has turned resawing from a pleasure to a dreaded chore.

But you said "the blades track just fine and cut well". I mention this because focusing on something like this is in my makeup. Don't let a minor thing ruin your fun. I have a centrifugal clutch on my DC that squeaks during the last rotation or so. I know how to fix it and I have applied the fix (which lasts for a year or so) 3 or 4 times over the years but, the fact is that it isn't hurting anything and the level of annoyance lies with me :o.

Jim Ringo
12-21-2015, 12:16 PM
But you said "the blades track just fine and cut well". I mention this because focusing on something like this is in my makeup. Don't let a minor thing ruin your fun. I have a centrifugal clutch on my DC that squeaks during the last rotation or so. I know how to fix it and I have applied the fix (which lasts for a year or so) 3 or 4 times over the years but, the fact is that it isn't hurting anything and the level of annoyance lies with me :o.
Ah, they cut well now but as they age and lose their razor sharp edge it will only get worse as I have to push harder and harder on the stock to cut it. I fear that as it gets worse it will cause a stress concentration at the weld leading to premature failure.

Also the cut is still pretty good but isn't perfect and I've certainly gotten better cuts in the past. These are quite expensive woods I'm working with... if I'm losing just a few thousandths of an inch on each cut that can still really add up. An extra slice here and there can easily pay for a blade and then some over its useful life.

The more I think about it the more I think I have to demand better for these blades... can anyone recommend a company that consistently makes good welds? I'd be much obliged.

Bruce Page
12-21-2015, 12:42 PM
You could try taking a Dremel type grinder and gradually blend in the back edge 5 - 6" on either side of the weld.