PDA

View Full Version : Burning letters in wood

John T Barker
12-19-2015, 3:01 PM
I'm thinking of doing a small production set up for lazy susan and cheese trays out of wine barrel lids I make. It seems like a popular item and I have an outlet to sell my stuff so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm trying to think of the best way to label the top. I can do a stencil and paint it but I think laser etching would be better. Anyone familiar with the computer machines that do this? A brief look and I see that there are a few types and price levels, I'd hate to take a stab at this and buy something that doesn't suit my needs.

Something along these lines is what I hope to make. Any suggestions of the quickest and most cost effective way to label it would be appreciated.

John K Jordan
12-19-2015, 5:21 PM
You might check or ask this on the Engravers Forum here.

Cody Colston
12-20-2015, 2:52 PM
John, my son-in-law makes duck calls. He designed a pretty cool logo for them and takes them to a laser engraver to have them put on the calls. It only costs him about $1.00 per call. You might check out persons who do laser engraving and get a cost estimate. if the business grows, then consider getting your own.

vic casware
12-20-2015, 4:02 PM
Hi John,
Barrel lids are really popular here too, laser engraving is certainly the best way to go i believe.327513

John T Barker
12-22-2015, 12:37 PM
John, my son-in-law makes duck calls. He designed a pretty cool logo for them and takes them to a laser engraver to have them put on the calls. It only costs him about $1.00 per call. You might check out persons who do laser engraving and get a cost estimate. if the business grows, then consider getting your own.

Thanks Cody, I'll give it a look. Happy holidays.

John

Jacob John
12-22-2015, 1:16 PM
I can't offer any suggestions, but those look awesome.

Roger McDowell
12-22-2015, 1:33 PM
I live in the heart of bourbon country and I do laser engraving on bourbon barrel heads - white oak doesn't give good contrast so I mask the BH then burn through it with the laser and hit it with some black spray paint to make it pop.

Keith Winter
12-22-2015, 6:49 PM
Where do you get the bourbon barrel heads from Roger?

Anthony Albano
12-22-2015, 7:00 PM
I just had a humidor laser engraved ( by a local trophy/awards co.) and the engraving looks great. It was pretty inexpensive considering the amount of time it saved and the quality.

Roger McDowell
12-23-2015, 6:23 PM
I used to be able to get them from a number of local cooperages (Kelvin Cooperage in Louisville or Independent Stave Co in Lebanon, KY) but about 2 years ago they told me that they wouldn't sell me any more. Too much demand from the distilleries. Bourbon is booming in case you didn't know. So I have a local woodworker take local white oak and make them for me to the same spec that distilleries use. Used barrel heads are usually pretty rough and warped when they dry out. If you need some let me know and I may be able to sell you some but the shipping will be expensive, they're heavy.

Jacob John
12-23-2015, 6:48 PM
I forgot to ask, what are the dimensions of those lids? They look huge.

John T Barker
12-23-2015, 8:11 PM
I forgot to ask, what are the dimensions of those lids? They look huge.

I have to wnder what is huge by this groups standards. I'm guessing by look they are 18-24". I'll check one of the pages where someone gives a how-to and see what they do. From the picture in the catalog (different than the picture I've used here) that's the guestimate I would use. Is that huge?

Jacob John
12-23-2015, 10:07 PM
I looked around and by a few different comparisons, I see around 20". I guess the pics are hard to judge them. They are really good looking pieces.