PDA

View Full Version : Newbie says hi

Lasse Hilbrandt
12-19-2015, 3:00 PM
Hi everyone.

Im new to this forum and almost a newbie into woodworking. Im 40 years old and living in Denmark. Im not a professional craftsman, but have been a police officer for almost 20 years now. As time has gone by, I regret that I did not chose to become a cabinet maker instead, but thats too late now and I have to doo with working with wood as a hobby.
I have joined this forum because I think there are so many skilled woodworkers here who are willing to share their knowledge, which Im thankful for.

Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Jim Koepke
12-19-2015, 3:40 PM
Lasse,

Welcome to the Creek, you should include your location in your profile. I am sure to forget in a few weeks.

My woodworking is mostly hand tool work. Most of the time my posting is in the Neanderthal Haven section.

One thing that comes to mind with Denmark is I believe it is there were the inch used to be longer than the English inch.

Back in the days of the American colonies that might have made people prefer Danish fabrics over English fabrics.

jtk

Steve Schlumpf
12-19-2015, 4:12 PM
Lasse - Welcome! There are a lot of very talented folks on this site - so be sure to check all the different forums! I do some flat-work but most of my time goes into woodturning! If that is something that may interest you - I suggest you start turning before you buy your other woodworking tools - because most of us get hooked on woodturning and could have used the money spent on turning tools!!

Michael Weber
12-19-2015, 4:18 PM
Lasse, welcome to the Creek. My daughter in laws mother was born in Denmark and they have much good to say about Danish design and craftsmanship. I agree with them. This is a great place where the topics are kept on focus. I've learned a lot here. You will too.
Mike

Lasse Hilbrandt
12-19-2015, 4:36 PM
Lasse,

Welcome to the Creek, you should include your location in your profile. I am sure to forget in a few weeks.

My woodworking is mostly hand tool work. Most of the time my posting is in the Neanderthal Haven section.

One thing that comes to mind with Denmark is I believe it is there were the inch used to be longer than the English inch.

Back in the days of the American colonies that might have made people prefer Danish fabrics over English fabrics.

jtk

Jtk. yes it is true, A Danish inch was roughly 2,6 cm while the English inch is roughly 2,5 cm.

Randy Red Bemont
12-19-2015, 5:04 PM
Welcome Lasse.

Red

Frederick Skelly
12-19-2015, 8:15 PM
Welcome Lasse. Glad to have you with us!
Fred

william watts
12-19-2015, 11:18 PM
Lasse There must be some of those Danish inches in the last project I made, it seemed a little long on one end. Welcome to the form. This a great place to learn techniques, there's a lot knowledge here.

Bill

Gordon Eyre
12-19-2015, 11:21 PM
A most pleasant welcome to you Lasse, hope you enjoy sawmill creek. Post often and share your work with us.

Joe Tilson
12-20-2015, 5:22 PM
Welcome Lasse,
We always appreciate new people.
I know I'm not from Demark, but we appreciate your service as a police officer. Tough Job, sometimes.

Brian Hale
12-21-2015, 5:19 AM
Welcome to the creek Lasse, it's good to have you here!

You'll find lots of friendly folks 'round these parts so please post often, we're here to help.

If you've got any pictures of your work or shop please share them with us, we like pictures :) Plus we're good at helping you spend your money.

Brian

Don Morris
12-22-2015, 10:18 PM
Welcome Lasse, I married a Swedish Cabinet Makers Daughter. Got the love of wwing from him. We watch several European movies, mostly detective types from all over Europe including Denmark. Are you familiar with "Unit One". It's been made into a series here with sub-tittles. We're so used to watching them, the sub-tittles don't bother us any more. But we get a wonderful sense for the Danish people and see some of the country side. Lots of help here on the Creek. Great place to find answers to many questions. And we have visiters from all over the globe. Show us some of your work! Without pictures it didn't happen. Happy Holidays and no I don't/won't eat Lutifisk.

Bruce Page
12-22-2015, 10:34 PM
Welcome Lasse, pull up a chair.

Lasse Hilbrandt
12-23-2015, 4:48 AM
Welcome Lasse, I married a Swedish Cabinet Makers Daughter. Got the love of wwing from him. We watch several European movies, mostly detective types from all over Europe including Denmark. Are you familiar with "Unit One". It's been made into a series here with sub-tittles. We're so used to watching them, the sub-tittles don't bother us any more. But we get a wonderful sense for the Danish people and see some of the country side. Lots of help here on the Creek. Great place to find answers to many questions. And we have visiters from all over the globe. Show us some of your work! Without pictures it didn't happen. Happy Holidays and no I don't/won't eat Lutifisk.

Don.

Yes im familiar with the "Unit One" series. In fact most of the episodes from the first season are somewhat inspired from real insidents. It was a real popular series here in Denmark when it was released in 2000.

I will post some pictures of the coffee table Im making right now, but the camera in my cellphone isīnt working anymore. Perhaps if Im real lucky I will have a new phone after Christmas and then I should be able to take pictures again.

In Denmark we donīt eat lutefisk either, thats something for the savages in Norway and Sweden :D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Welcome to the Creek Lasse! Wade right in the water's fine!