PDA

View Full Version : few new bowls and testing my photo booth

sascha gast
09-05-2005, 7:17 AM
made a few more NIP bowls and also tested the light setup of my photo booth. came out a lot nicer than just putting the bowls on my desk. i am having fun with this.
Norfolk pine, all bowls are about 3/32 thick, +/- 1/32. they are turned to have an even glow with a light stuck inside.
these bows have been soaked in oil about 19 times for about 12 hours or more. each time they get to dry for a day or 2, so finishing one of these takes about 1 month.
the natural rim bowl is river red gum if i remember correctly.

thanx guys for looking

sascha

Dick Parr
09-05-2005, 7:34 AM
Those are all beautiful Sascha, whoever ends up getting one of those sure will own a treasure to be passed on.

Wonderful job. :)

Ernie Nyvall
09-05-2005, 7:43 AM
Awsome Sascha. I really like what you've done with the bases on all of them especially the flared and darker bases. Beautiful stuff.
Never heard of river red gum, but it's some beautiful wood. Really nice job.

Ernie

Jim Becker
09-05-2005, 8:28 AM
Very nice, Sascha. A good photo booth is essential to truly capture the beauty of "small work" including turnings.

You may want to start working with a bounce card to help eliminate the shaddows around the base of the object. Using a "spot" lamp with a controlable size will also help to photograph these translucent pieces as you can strive to keep the light in the object without overflowing the edges. This will also help cut down on the harsh shaddow.

sascha gast
09-05-2005, 12:28 PM
the bounce card is in place, but the only way to compensate the spot light is more light from above the bowl but then the bowl won't glow that much.
now i am just using a simple spot bulb since i couldn't find a good spot lamp, but for now it'll have to do until i find a better lamp.
i actually got incouraged when i saw kelly j dunn's site, he has very strong shadow as well.

thanx for the kind words guys

sascha

Jim Becker
09-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Sascha, if you have not already done so, try moving your "spot" down closer to the bowl...just out of the frame so that "all" the light is going into the object...and adding more difused light from the front. Actually, better than listening to me (a rank amateur), contact Jamie Donaldson (AAW member and also WoW member) as he really has a good handle on this kind of thing. He's a pro photographer "retired" to turning.

I wonder if a low-voltage halogen lamp would be a good solution for the "glow" lighting. The beams can be quite narrow.

sascha gast
09-05-2005, 12:52 PM
i actually am talking to jamie right now over on that other site where he posts. he is great help. i think the light is about a foot away or less, but i'll try to move it closer.

thanx jim, always good hearing from you.
by the way, i'll be in PA in november. i'll be in Holland for my girlfriend's brothers wedding.

sascha

Jim Becker
09-05-2005, 1:30 PM
by the way, i'll be in PA in november. i'll be in Holland for my girlfriend's brothers wedding.

If you mean Holland in Bucks County...that's literally "right around the corner". The November Bucks Woodturners meeting should be the 21st (Monday 7:30p) in case that also dovetails with your plans.

sascha gast
09-05-2005, 1:39 PM
yeah, i'll be in bucks county, but i'll fly in friday night, wedding is saturday and go back home sunday.
i'll let you know the dates when it gets closer.
funny, you live right next door to my girls family

sascha

Jim Becker
09-05-2005, 2:11 PM
Well, perhaps you'll be able to finagle an hour to steal away and visit. (As long as we are not in Sibera picking up the girls if we don't get lucky with October)

Earl Eyre
09-06-2005, 1:29 AM
Absolutely beautiful bowls. The shapes are wonderful as are the bases. I may be a contrary view here, but as a former somewhat graphic designer (I owned a printshop but didn't do any actual high level designing...) I think the shadow adds to the spectacular nature of the lighting coming through the bowls. It would be fun to experiment with the lighting both ways, but I wouldn't be too quick to completely get rid of it. Maybe lighten it a little, but to eliminate it might make the turnings look much more ordinary. Again, being somebody who spent a lot of time with advertising types and graphic designers I think some drama helps.

Not really disagreeing with anybody, just offering a little different view point. It doesn't hurt for your photography to look a little different than everybody else.
Either way, great turnings!

Earl

sascha gast
09-06-2005, 2:08 AM
i agree with you Earl, if i lighten the shadow too much, the pics look flat and don't glow.

thanx for all your guys's input

sascha