PDA

View Full Version : Nakashima Conoid (Spindle) Bench Glue Up Question - Finish or Glue First

John Pond
12-19-2015, 11:53 AM
Hey Guys - working on a Nakashima Conoid bench, its my first major project and I am hoping to have it ready by Christmas. Here's a pic so were on the same page.327421327422
I am planning on finishing the bench and spindles with the same product,(General's Premium Water based Varnish) and so I was wondering what others thought would be the best option; whether to do the glue up first and then stain or do the staining first and then the glue up? I was concerned that having to stain around the spindles would create odd streaks from the alternating brush directions, but stain getting into the spindle holes would also be problem. The glue up first seems like the best way, but is there an application method (not spraying) that would work best for doing both at the same time and hide any brush strokes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew Hughes
12-19-2015, 4:14 PM
Staining a Nakashima spindle bench your kidding right? I'm pretty sure that goes against everthing he was trying to convey in his work.
i say leave it as natural as possible and any treatment to the wood I would do after its assembled and should not be detectable.
Or risk a visit from a ghost on Christmas Eve.

Jim Becker
12-20-2015, 5:46 PM
Normally, a Nakashima inspired project like this would be something like cherry or walnut for the seat and back rest with ash spindles. Outside of oiling, there would be no staining/coloring involved and any topcoat would be applied after assembly.

If you must color the wood, I honestly believe you're going to have to do that prior to assembly on something like this. Plug the holes with something temporary, deal with your coloration and a coat of clear to seal it, remove the plugs and then do your assemble prior to applying your additional/final clear coats.

Brian Holcombe
12-27-2015, 7:38 PM
Jim, if I'm not mistaken, the spindles are often hickory.

Tend to agree....please do not stain the spindles! :D An oil finish would be typical.

Jim Becker
12-30-2015, 8:17 PM
That could be true, Brian...similar color for sure. It's been a few years since I've been over to the Nakashima compound which is just a few miles from my home.