PDA

View Full Version : Howdy!

Philip Edwards
09-05-2005, 3:59 AM
Hi Folks
I am a new member and just wanted to say "Hi" and introduce myself.
I'm Phil Edwards and am a keen amateur woodworker. I live in Poole, England and love building furniture from solid wood. I have been beavering away for about 5 years, learning from books, magazines, Norm and WW forums on the Internet. UKWorkshop is my usual haunt, as well as lurking over at WC. I see a few familiar faces here so thought I better join up.
Hope I can contribute what little nuggets of worth that I have learnt!
Cheers
Phil:)

Check out my website for pictures of my completed projects, workshop and work-in-progress!

Vaughn McMillan
09-05-2005, 5:55 AM
Hi Philip, and welcome to the Creek. Always nice to have another participant around here -- it's a good bunch of people. Based on what I saw on your website, it looks like you've done quite well in the 5 years you've been "beavering". Very nice work...I really liked the double dovetail experiment.

- Vaughn

Ernie Nyvall
09-05-2005, 8:21 AM
Howdy back, and welcome to the Creek Phil. Smc is loaded with a great bunch of very helpful people and a few like me who are still taking in all I can get. With what I saw on your website, I'll bet you have a bit more than nuggets to contribute.

Ernie

Mike Cutler
09-05-2005, 8:40 AM
Welcome to Sawmill Creek Philip. You have an very nice website there.
It's interesting that your tablesaw id a "non-eurepean" style. We've been having some interesting threads and posts on the "european style" tablesaws.
Your Krenov inspired piece came out quite well. I've been looking to do a similar project. I'm sure I'll be looking at yours more closely.
I also find your sections on the Woodrat, and the Leigh to be well done. If you have a chance you should check out John Lucas' page http://www.woodshopdemos.com/ He does alot of equipment write ups and reviews similar to the style that your are presented.
Once again, Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

Dennis Peacock
09-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Well....HOWDY back to ya Phil! :D Welcome to Sawmill Creek!!! Come on in, sit a spell, wade on in the water and enjoy your stay. Learn all you can, share what you know and most of all....have a good time among friends. :cool: :D :D

Steve Clardy
09-05-2005, 11:11 AM
WELCOME Phil!!!

Ian Barley
09-05-2005, 3:25 PM
Hi Phil and welcome - we only need another 9843 uk members and we can have them surrounded!

Nice site with very nice work. The saw is very interesting. Is it CE marked?

Lee DeRaud
09-05-2005, 3:38 PM
Hi Phil and welcome - we only need another 9843 uk members and we can have them surrounded!The "subvert from within" thing seems to be working quite well enough, thankyouverymuch.:p

Joe Blankshain
09-05-2005, 4:02 PM
Phil,

Welcome to the Creek.

Jim Becker
09-05-2005, 8:39 PM
Welcome aboard, Phillip!!!

Dale Thompson
09-05-2005, 9:16 PM
Phil,
Welcome to the creek Mr. Edwards!! :) Please continue to contribute your expertise to one of the colonies. ;)

As Ian said, another ten thousand of you guys would have us right up against the wall. I know that he is right so let's see what the UK can muster. :) I certainly hope that we will not have to beg for help from the french - again!! :rolleyes:

Whatever, Phil, thanks for sharing your obvious talents with the rest of the members of SMC! A FEW of us, like ME, need all of the help that we can get! :o

Again, WECOME TO THE CREEK!! :) :) :D

Dale T.

Philip Edwards
09-06-2005, 2:34 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome, Guys!
My tablesaw is a "Xcaliber" 806, a Unisaw clone (not to be mistaken for an Excaliber). It is not CE marked but still quite "legal" for us to use in the UK.
The saws available in England are pretty much all hobby machines-lightweight, inaccurate and not a lot of use. I was looking into importing a Unisaw when I discovered a company who were selling these. I am very happy with mine-it does exactly what i ask of it! Guess I've been watching too much Norm......:o
Cheers
Phil