PDA

View Full Version : How to Cut Vinyl LP Records?

Evan Patton
12-18-2015, 4:03 PM
I have a project for which I'm considering using 10" square "tiles" made from LP records. My thought is to use my junk LPs and pick up more from Goodwill, et al (I only need about a dozen), machine them to size, then attach them to a substrate with mastic.

My question is what is the best way to cut them into 10" square tiles so they have clean edges? My first thought was to use my Festool track saw, but I'm concerned about it melting the vinyl and making a gooey stinky mess (not to mention ruining the blade). I've also considered using a paper cutter, but not sure how it would handle the relatively thick LPs.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Cary Falk
12-18-2015, 4:38 PM
How avout a router and a trim bit. Make a 10" wood/mdf square for the pattern.

Randy Rose
12-18-2015, 4:48 PM
It certainly won`t cost much to experiment with different methods.

I`m thinking table saw.

George Werner
12-18-2015, 4:53 PM
Maybe one of these plexiglass cutters with a straight edge and then a couple quick swipes with a sanding pad?

Tom Deutsch
12-18-2015, 4:56 PM
I would try plywood pattern, then score with a utility knife. Might be able to snap off clean from that point and sand the edges as desired.

Myk Rian
12-18-2015, 6:18 PM
Some records were made with a metal disc core. Sweep them with a magnet or metal detector first.

Evan Patton
12-18-2015, 9:00 PM
Good suggestions. I'll keep you posted on my experiments.

Thanks!

Ole Anderson
12-19-2015, 9:24 AM
I would start with a BS.

Myk Rian
12-19-2015, 10:10 AM
I would start with a BS.
With a fine tooth blade.

peter gagliardi
12-19-2015, 10:15 AM
As I remember, vinyl records are brittle, so I would be tempted to try a wet tile saw.

Britt Lifsey
12-19-2015, 10:25 AM
I realize this isn't design you are after, but could you use whole LPs then fill in between with broken pieces of random shape or bandsaw pieces to follow round shape.

Peter Quinn
12-19-2015, 10:25 AM
When you cut vinyl siding best method I've found is to install the blade on a SCMS backwards, and make the cut. Sounds cookoo, works great. Blade in normal direction, the stuff shatters almost every time when the blade grabs it. Same method may work for records.

Jerome Stanek
12-19-2015, 10:36 AM
I would cut a template and use a router.

Evan Patton
12-19-2015, 1:05 PM
It certainly won`t cost much to experiment with different methods.

I`m thinking table saw.
The records are cheap. The Festool and Forrest blades aren't, although I doubt that I'd actually ruin one, but gunking them in is a definite possibility.

I'm going to give my track saw a shot this afternoon and I'll let you know how it turns out. The router idea could work and will probably leave the best edge, but burning/melting could be worse. The bandsaw doesn't leave a clean enough cut (I know, I can always clean it up, but I'd just as soon not have to), but would probably be the cleanest.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Evan Patton
12-19-2015, 1:07 PM
As I remember, vinyl records are brittle, so I would be tempted to try a wet tile saw.
This is probably the best/cleanest way to do it. I don't have one, however, so I'm going to experiment with what I've got.

Evan Patton
12-19-2015, 1:11 PM
I realize this isn't design you are after, but could you use whole LPs then fill in between with broken pieces of random shape or bandsaw pieces to follow round shape.
Britt,
I haven't totally ruled that out, and I'm also considering a combination where I square up the records to ~11" leaving curved "diamond" spaces between the LPs. I just haven't figured out how to fill in the spaces. I've also considered doing a decopage process with the album art, but the space is too small to have that large of a pattern.

Evan Patton
12-19-2015, 1:12 PM
When you cut vinyl siding best method I've found is to install the blade on a SCMS backwards, and make the cut. Sounds cookoo, works great. Blade in normal direction, the stuff shatters almost every time when the blade grabs it. Same method may work for records.
I'd forgotten about that technique! It sounds like a winner.

Evan Patton
12-19-2015, 1:27 PM
Seems I may be over-complicating this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2T0G4Su5w8

Although the records these folks are using breaks my heart (Sonny Rollins, first Beatles pressing)

Peter Quinn
12-19-2015, 1:59 PM
Do you have an old paper cutter laying around? I'm betting the backwards blade thing works on a table saw too, cheap blade from big box or such, wouldn't commit my Forrest blade to cutting plastic either.

Evan Patton
12-19-2015, 9:03 PM
The Festool track saw worked like a charm. I tried it first with the blade backwards and had a lot of chipping, so decided to try it the "right" way and it worked pretty well. I fashioned a 8 1/2" square template from MDF, clamped the records to it with a screw, and clamped the template to my MFT. I started with a single record, which worked ok, but the screw was a little long so I stacked 4 on the template, screwed them down, and it worked pretty smoothly. There wasn't any melting of the vinyl and the blade is no worse for wear.

I cut 28 tiles, each 8 1/2" square. Here they are laid out on my assembly table. Now I just need to figure out how to install them on the floor, whether to finish them with anything, and how to cut out places for floor outlets.

Tom Ewell
12-19-2015, 11:50 PM
gives a new meaning to 'vinyl floor coverings'
cool

scott spencer
12-20-2015, 8:46 AM

That's an old school method that does work great for vinyl siding, but it's worth noting that it originated back in the days of all steel blades. I wouldn't recommend cutting backwards on a carbide tooth blade because the carbide will no longer be supported by the shoulder.

Kevin Groenke
12-20-2015, 9:23 AM
+1 on the guillotine style paper cutter. A foot operated sheet metal shear would be even better.

327473 327474

Bill Adamsen
12-20-2015, 2:00 PM
Back in the day, "cutting a record" was something very different.

Evan Patton
12-20-2015, 5:11 PM
Back in the day, "cutting a record" was something very different.
LOL yes indeed. I must admit to feelings of guilt, although I consoled myself with the fact that I'd never listened to most of the records I trashed, and the ones I did were unlistenable.

Allan Speers
12-20-2015, 5:34 PM
Man, the last time I cut a vinyl record was around 1990, and I had to send the tracks all the way to Canada. :)

Bloody CD's runed everything ........