PDA

View Full Version : Breaking epoxy bond

Joe Bradshaw
12-18-2015, 2:34 PM
I was putting legs in a stool seat and did one of them wrong. I was using epoxy. I didn't notice the problem until after the epoxy had set. Is there any way short of destroying the leg to get the epoxy to release? Thanks, Joe.

Jay Jolliffe
12-18-2015, 2:45 PM
Try a heat gun..If you heat it up it will get soft so maybe it will come apart.

Tom M King
12-18-2015, 3:21 PM
We use heat to soften epoxy to pull golf club heads-actually, a little butane torch to spread the heat around the head to transfer up to the hosel. Golf club epoxy is designed to break down at a lower heat than the epoxy that the shafts are laminated with. It's still more heat than I would expect wood could handle well, but it's worth a try. The golf club head pulling still involves a modified hydraulic jack to provide the pressure. I don't know that any of this information is any good to you, but thought it might be worth offering.

Marty Tippin
12-18-2015, 3:30 PM
Acetone will dissolve uncured epoxy, maybe it would do the same for cured epoxy? Find a way to soak the joint in acetone overnight and see what happens.

Or you might try some of this, no idea if it really works or not: http://www.amazon.com/Attack-Epoxy-Resin-Glue-Remover/dp/B00OV99H3W

Andy Fox
12-18-2015, 4:28 PM
Maybe you could drill small holes around the joint to get the acetone to penetrate. After the acetone has soaked in for a few hours or a day, try heat. But, assume the heat will ignite some unevaporated acetone, and be prepared to smother it with something non-flammable.

Peter Quinn
12-18-2015, 4:31 PM
Heat will soften, clamps may help seperate, no guarantees you won't break leg or light on fire before epoxy lets go. You need to get it pretty hot to really soften it.

James W Glenn
12-18-2015, 9:40 PM
If I had to save the leg, I would try a making an "Hook" from a hack saw blade, and heat it in some manner and scrape out a kerf around the leg. You would need additional liquid joinery to hide your sins afterwards.

Tom M King
12-18-2015, 10:42 PM
That Attack stuff Marty mentioned looks like good stuff. I had never seen it before, so I ordered some. The reviews on it offer some good information. I copied and pasted this without permission from the reviewer, but I do appreciate the review, and hope he/she doesn't mind:

I must concur with fellow reviewers that Attack is dangerous if you don't take precautions. The basics apply - don't let it get on your skin, ensure ample ventilation (FUN FACT- at room temperature, one decomposition product of Attack is phosgene... a military chemical weapons grade choking agent!!!) to prevent catching a whiff, and store in a proper container. I use all glass containers - the vapors alone will dissolve plastic. I recommend downloading the MSDS sheet if there's any reservations about this product. Attack is a great product that I use regularly, but Chemistry 101 lab safety rules apply.