PDA

View Full Version : What's a Good Woodworking Gift?

Steve H Graham
12-18-2015, 11:21 AM
This will sound weird, but what should I get myself for Christmas?

A family member wants to blow somewhere between 0 and $175 on me, and I have to pick the gift out.

What's a good choice involving woodworking?

I don't have a whole collection of planes or quality handsaws. I don't have a router plane or rabbet plane. I have a few chisels. Could always use more, I guess. I was thinking I might replace one wheel on my 8" grinder with CBN.

Prashun Patel
12-18-2015, 11:51 AM
All great ideas. I always ask my wife to get me a Lee Valley gift card. Part of the fun for me is building a virtual shopping cart of stuff, and dropping things in and out.

Are you a turner? If yes, then the CBN is hard to beat.

Michael Stein
12-18-2015, 11:52 AM
I don't have a router plane, thats what I would choose.

David Zaret
12-18-2015, 11:58 AM
a starrett 12" combo square is a great gift.

Kent Adams
12-18-2015, 12:10 PM
Jessem Table Saw Guides. They are on sale now, but a little more than $175 and worth it.

http://www.infinitytools.com/Jessem-Clear-Cut-Tablesaw-Stock-Guides/productinfo/TSF-SG1/?gclid=CLiSy8by5ckCFVIWHwoder4HfA

Andrew Hughes
12-18-2015, 12:12 PM
One of my keep sake boxes.��

Larry Browning
12-18-2015, 12:29 PM
I think any sort of measuring/marking tool makes a great gift. Also, think of something that you wouldn't normally get yourself, like maybe a shop apron, or some of those cookie things.

Phil Mueller
12-18-2015, 12:38 PM
Same here...my list included bench plane sacks, a hold down, veritas dual marking guage, and a couple different files. Won't see it all under the tree, but gave her a few things to choose from.

Steve H Graham
12-18-2015, 12:51 PM
I always find that there are cheap things I won't buy and expensive things I will buy. If a tool costs $30 but seems like it should cost $20, I will put off buying it. If it costs $500 but seems like it should cost $750, I'll grab it.

Dave Arnett
12-18-2015, 1:28 PM
Clamps, maybe?

Rod Sheridan
12-18-2015, 1:43 PM
Steve, I would buy something special, like a router plane or a shoulder plane, every time you pick it up and use it, you'll think of who gave it to you.

Don't use gift money to buy consumables like a grindstone or clamp that will become just another clamp, get something memorable......Regards, Rod.

Doug Hobkirk
12-18-2015, 2:16 PM
Steve, I would buy something special, like a router plane or a shoulder plane, every time you pick it up and use it, you'll think of who gave it to you.

Don't use gift money to buy consumables like a grindstone or clamp that will become just another clamp, get something memorable......Regards, Rod.

I think Rod nailed it. The same sentiment is reflected in some of the other answers: Starrett, special plane. And especially if you choose something that you know you'd never buy yourself because it's just too extravagant. The Jessem hold-down above fits - give him/her your "account" at Woodcraft (or wherever) that happens to have a $75 credit balance.

PS - the Jessem Router Table hold-down is almost as useful and it's only $90.

Merry Christmas, by the way. And congratulations on your family member's generosity and consideration.

Steve H Graham
12-19-2015, 7:37 PM
Merry Christmas, by the way. And congratulations on your family member's generosity and consideration.

Merry Christmas to you and everyone else here.

I am thinking some kind of plane would be a good idea.

jack duren
12-19-2015, 7:49 PM
Replace a crappy hand tool with something that's not.

Frederick Skelly
12-19-2015, 8:33 PM
How about a really nice miter box? LV has the Nobex Pro for $169.

LV's 3 router planes are very nice, the medium with a blade is $120 and their small is $55. You could get both.

I don't see any brand new LV or LN bench planes for $175, but you could get a gift certificate and save up!

LN sells a very nice dovetail saw for $125 and a very nice low angle block plane for $115.

Lotsa choices Steve. You're gonna have fun!
Fred

Peter Kelly
12-20-2015, 12:26 AM
I have one of these babies on my Amazon list: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BFYLZK?colid=GAVR1FBRMVBU&coliid=I229WGW4ALPW&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

Hope I receive one for x-mas.

Peter Kelly
12-20-2015, 12:28 AM
How about a really nice miter box? LV has the Nobex Pro for $169.

LV's 3 router planes are very nice, the medium with a blade is $120 and their small is $55. You could get both.

I don't see any brand new LV or LN bench planes for $175, but you could get a gift certificate and save up!

LN sells a very nice dovetail saw for $125 and a very nice low angle block plane for $115.

Lotsa choices Steve. You're gonna have fun!
FredLV also has a wish list you can share with the wife / family, etc.

keith wootton
12-20-2015, 1:50 AM
incra rules make a variety of very accurate layout tools that aren't too expensive. someone could pick one,or a few to make whatever level of giving. i never use my starrett combo square....

knew concepts saws are heads and tails better than anything else, but you might have second thought about buying one if it wasn't a gift. pricey but worth it.

and ln planes, i bought three in the last month or so, christmas for me!

keith

rudy de haas
12-21-2015, 1:04 PM
Hi -

I read this some days ago and have been considering it since. The right answer, given by several people here already, is something that reminds you
of the person - but it should also be something you want but either haven't been able to get or just haven't wanted enough to act on.

So, with that in mind here's an idea that would suit me (and maybe nobody else, but..). My shop space is a long single width garage so I have to move the tools to one end when putting the car in, and back out to use. At one end I have a workbench that goes 14 feet across and has two 12 foot florescent lights above it. About halfway down the "car space" between the bench and the garage door I have two costco LED tube sets totalling about 10 feet. These are very bright 4000K lights and work well. However, what I find is that when I put a square on wood on the bench, the shadow falls where I'm looking; when I set the shaper for a cut, the shadow falls.. etc etc. Basically, I have lots of light, but it's always mostly in the wrong place for close work.

So what I'd like, but have not made for myself, is a pair of bright led lights on a cable system running length wise so I could just pull them along and place
them as needed. Anyone know of a kit?

Jeffrey Martel
12-21-2015, 3:11 PM
Lie-Nielsen Rabbeting block plane. But only because that's on my list for Christmas this year.

Pat Barry
12-21-2015, 3:29 PM
Tools are nice for sure but I would be looking for some nice figured exotic wood that you could build something special from. The kind of material you wouldn't normally buy yourself. Personally I'd go for some very nicely figured walnut or maybe mahogany

John Sanford
12-21-2015, 5:00 PM
LV Router Plane.

Frederick Skelly
12-21-2015, 10:15 PM
I have one of these babies on my Amazon list: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BFYLZK?colid=GAVR1FBRMVBU&coliid=I229WGW4ALPW&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

I bought a smaller version of tht last Spring. It's a really nice tool.

Shawn Pixley
12-21-2015, 10:49 PM

I love the idea. But I use a marking knife and think I'd nick thist up.

Rich Engelhardt
12-22-2015, 4:32 AM
- Painter's pyramids
-Bench cookies
- +1 to the Starrett
- Kreg jig
- 23 ga Pin Nailer
- DW611PK router kit - plunge and fixed base
- PC guide bushings for above router
- centering cone for above router

William Adams
12-22-2015, 7:22 AM
A beautiful piece of wood accompanied by an injunction to make something for oneself of it.

Robert Engel
12-22-2015, 7:31 AM
I'm getting a Lie Nielsen rabbet block plane......too.:D

Ray Newman
12-22-2015, 10:36 AM
Good table saw blades and a quality dado set are always handy to have around.

Steve H Graham
12-25-2015, 3:23 PM
I ended up going with the Veritas router plane. I was never going to buy one for myself, and the prices for old Stanleys offend me.

Frederick Skelly
12-25-2015, 4:57 PM
Sounds like a great choice!

Mike Cozad
12-25-2015, 6:17 PM

Great choice! I have it and its 6" and 8" little brother and sister. I would snatch it from carbide processors. Its a better deal and I think they have a creeker discount if I remember correctly.

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/precision-square-12-x-8-woodpeckers-1281r/

Edit: I saw after I replied you picked a plane. Nice choice. I would still go after the square next chance you get!

Joe Beaulieu
12-26-2015, 6:19 AM
Hey Steve,

I just grabbed one of those myself. I have found two fantastic uses for it in the week or so I have had it. It is a beautiful tool. I love simple but effective tools, and this fits the bill perfectly. You will be very glad with your purchase!

Joe

Peter Kelly
12-26-2015, 2:54 PM
This thing is awesome!