PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Cherry

Mike Hutchison
12-18-2015, 6:48 AM
I have roughed out a first attempt at turning a cherry bowl.
Rough being the operative term.
Reached a point where sanding the outside of bowl
on the lathe seemed like the right idea.
Thing is, I am not getting any dust or removal of tool marks.
Started out using some pieces of busted belt sander belt (80 grit),
then 100 grit paper. Both at slow speed. The bowl blank seemed
gummy feeling when I started working with it. This might explain
the lack of dust but not the failure to remove scratches/marks.
The paper I have tried does not seem to be loading up. Any suggestions?

John Keeton
12-18-2015, 7:35 AM
Sounds like you are sanding a wet rough out. That is not a very productive effort.

daryl moses
12-18-2015, 7:53 AM
I agree with John. Sounds like a green [wet] blank.
It can be done by using fresh 80 grit but the paper will load up very fast.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-18-2015, 10:36 AM
If your intention is to make a once turned bowl, there are two methods to send. You can buy foam backed water proof paper and wet sand the bowl or you can set it aside to dry and sand normally after the drying process. I wet sand green burls because burls get lots of indents when they dry. I feel these enhance the wood. I find it a waste to sand plain wood that will accept dry sanding after it dries. In either event, I find cherry difficult to sand. More than other woods even the finest scratches show up after finishing. However, the effort to remove all scratches produced by the previous grit pays off in the finished result. Good luck.

Mike Hutchison
12-22-2015, 7:56 PM
Thanks for all input; I went back with some 60 grit on the lathe and was able to get a better result.
Will go after it again tomorrow morning. I am glad to hear someone who has turned bowls say that
cherry is difficult to sand. Again, this is my first attempt at bowl turning but I must say it was the least fun
turning project ever. In trying to hollow the inside of the bowl I was getting catches left and right.
I think one main problem was that I didn't get the blank centered up properly / perfectly in the beginning.
But what the heck-that guy on PBS out in Iowa or Idaho throws chunks of log on the lathe that me seasick
watching them go "round". No problem; grab the roughing gouge(sp?) and go to work.

Marty Tippin
12-23-2015, 10:56 AM
this is my first attempt at bowl turning but I must say it was the least fun turning project ever. In trying to hollow the inside of the bowl I was getting catches left and right.

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong - there's no greater pleasure than turning a bowl from green wood! I've found myself on more than one occasion turning a log down to a toothpick just to watch the shavings fly... ;-)

You may just need some instruction and sharp gouges (and maybe the right kind of gouges) - perhaps look for a local wood turning club or see if there's a nearby Woodcraft that offers turning classes.

Reed Gray
12-23-2015, 11:20 AM
Well, catches are not fun. Most of the time that is a technique problem. Do find a club as they have mentors. I have a bunch of bowl turning clips up on You Tube that should help some, but you can't beat a hands on session. Type in robo hippy

robo hippy

Mike Nathal
12-23-2015, 7:03 PM
Thanks for all input; I went back with some 60 grit on the lathe and was able to get a better result.
Will go after it again tomorrow morning. I am glad to hear someone who has turned bowls say that
cherry is difficult to sand. Again, this is my first attempt at bowl turning but I must say it was the least fun
turning project ever. In trying to hollow the inside of the bowl I was getting catches left and right.
I think one main problem was that I didn't get the blank centered up properly / perfectly in the beginning.
But what the heck-that guy on PBS out in Iowa or Idaho throws chunks of log on the lathe that me seasick
watching them go "round". No problem; grab the roughing gouge(sp?) and go to work.

I am concerned when you mentioned "roughing gouge" above. If this is a "spindle roughing gouge" you are moving into a safety hazard when using it on a bowl.

cody michael
12-23-2015, 7:29 PM
I had a lot of catches and turning bowls took forever, was still fun but very frustrating. I found a local Turner and he gave me a lesson one Saturday and it helped a lot. I just turned a nice bowl using the techniques he showed me, it was a ton better experience