PDA

View Full Version : I will be reviled, but I was largely disappointed in the new Star Wars

Mark Blatter
12-18-2015, 1:05 AM
Went and saw it tonight with my daughter. I was underwhelmed, but it was about what I expected. Sorry, but I think it is simply a bad movie. I think it is just a remake of the first one made. The funny parts aren't funny. The acting is contrived, the plot plodding and predictable. The characters are bleahhhh.

Many will disagree with me, but that is their right.

Jim Koepke
12-18-2015, 1:09 AM
The funny parts aren't funny. The acting is contrived, the plot plodding and predictable.

Sounds just like the first one.

I will either go see it or wait for it to be on DVD or Blue Ray.

jtk

Kevin Russell
12-18-2015, 4:23 AM
I've never seen a full star wars episode. My father took me and my brothers to the drive in to see either V or VI. We got about 30 minutes into it and we asked dad if we could leave because it was terrible. He felt the same. My wife made me go to the theater to see phantom menace. I got a good 2 hours of sleep in during that one.

Justin Ludwig
12-18-2015, 6:05 AM
Star Wars have been placed on an iconic pedestal. For those who love and those who think "meh" of the originals, the movies are still so built/hyped up that anything following will always be paltry in comparison. Those who love it want to be "wowed" and fall in love all over again. Those in the "meh" category are following the hype and hoping to go see a great movie and are anticipating greatness.

I'm waiting untill DVD release, unless someone buys us a Bluray for xmas.

Mike Cutler
12-18-2015, 8:23 AM
I may see it, I may not. All of the hype tends to make me a little suspicious of the movie itself.
The first one came out when I was 17, and for it's day ,it was pretty cool. The sequel to the first one was "alright", but after that installment, they went from bad to just awful. ( The first Star Trek's were worse. I waited in line 4 hours for the first one and walked out after 40 minutes. That was a stinker.)
In the end though, it's just a movie, and hopefully most folks will come out having been entertained for a few hours.;)

Brad Adams
12-18-2015, 8:27 AM
I must be different I guess. I loved all three original Star Wars movies, and the three new ones. I can't wait to see this one.

Mike Cutler
12-18-2015, 8:38 AM
I must be different I guess. I loved all three original Star Wars movies, and the three new ones. I can't wait to see this one.

Nope, you're alright.
They make all kinds of movies, for all kinds of folks, with all kinds of taste. If we all liked the same movies, that would be boring as could be. ;)

Brian Henderson
12-18-2015, 9:38 AM
I really couldn't care less about the new movie. I'll see it when it comes out on Bluray. I'm a huge original trilogy fan, but as far as I'm concerned, Star Wars ended in 1983. They just don't make those kinds of movies anymore, no matter what the new film is like, it isn't going to be Star Wars, any more than any of the prequels were. I saw the original in the theater in 1977 and loved it. I've seen it hundreds of times. I saw Phantom Menace in the theater once, never bothered going back for the other ones. You can't catch lightning in a bottle again.

Michael Weber
12-18-2015, 10:23 AM
Star what?

Mark Blatter
12-18-2015, 10:57 AM
I may see it, I may not. All of the hype tends to make me a little suspicious of the movie itself.
The first one came out when I was 17, and for it's day ,it was pretty cool. The sequel to the first one was "alright", but after that installment, they went from bad to just awful. ( The first Star Trek's were worse. I waited in line 4 hours for the first one and walked out after 40 minutes. That was a stinker.)
In the end though, it's just a movie, and hopefully most folks will come out having been entertained for a few hours.;)

There is a reason so many refer to the first Star Trek as the 'Slow Motion Picture'. It is a horrible movie, but as I recall, Shatner was heavily involved with the entire production, the script, etc. For Wrath of Khan, Nimoy took over and provided what I consider to be one of the best scifi movies ever made.

Steve Peterson
12-18-2015, 12:03 PM
Star Wars have been placed on an iconic pedestal.

I agree completely. I saw the first one at the drive in about 6 months after it came out. The whole world seemed to be talking about how great the movie was and bragging about seeing it dozens of times. I didn't think it lived up to the hype and slept through most of it.

Steve

Erik Loza
12-18-2015, 12:16 PM
CAN'T WAIT to see it!

Erik

Larry Browning
12-18-2015, 12:37 PM
Well, obviously the force in not with you guys. I'm with Eric I can't wait to go see it. However I am going to wait until the crowds thin out a bit. I work in an office full of nerds, one guy came to work in his Darth Vader costume. Several of them went to the movie last night. One said it was ever bit as good as the original trilogy ones.

Tom M King
12-18-2015, 12:46 PM
I belong to a forums on each of the subjects I'm interested in. This is the only forums where there are negative comments. Must be something about woodworkers.

Wade Lippman
12-18-2015, 12:50 PM
I don't see any movie unless my wife insists on it, and she is not likely to insist on seeing this one. The idea of sitting for 2 hours is terrible. (On our 8 hours flight to HNL next week I can get up and walk around or hopefully sleep)

I am however eager to see it when it reaches television in about 3 years.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2015, 12:59 PM
The gang from the Big Bang Theory seemed to like it. Though Sheldon did wait to go for a few days. He was busy.

Pat Barry
12-18-2015, 1:28 PM
Star Wars have been placed on an iconic pedestal. .
Deservedly so IMO. In fact, its the very embodiment of iconic.

Prashun Patel
12-18-2015, 2:06 PM
Watch the Star Wars Christmas Special of 1978. To see how something like that could get made and released and taken seriously is to understand the Zeitgeist during the Star Wars days and what a phenomenon it was.

The acting has always been bad. Just back then the bar on groundbreaking things in cinema was a little lower.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2015, 2:39 PM
My BIL is a retired manager for a company known initially for the flight computers and safety films for military and civilian flight crews. Later they expanded into mining safety videos/films and into other industries. He has a masters degree from a well known university and worked his entire career in the industry. He was hired because of his degree and his experience as a Huey pilot flying in Vietnam.

I can remember going to see Star Wars with he and his wife in 1977. He came out just talking endlessly about the amazing technology that was used to make that film in that day. Just a few weeks ago we were visiting him in Denver and we discussed this new release. He chuckled over how far that same technology has come in the last 38 years.

Rich Engelhardt
12-18-2015, 3:06 PM
The gang from the Black Hole Theory seemed to like it. Though Sheldon did wait to go for a few days. He was busy.You mean Big Bang Theory?

Re: the new Star Wars movie - - I'll pass Not because I don't want to see it but because I really don't like the highway robbery known as, "going to the movies".

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2015, 3:08 PM
You mean Big Bang Theory?

Re: the new Star Wars movie - - I'll pass Not because I don't want to see it but because I really don't like the highway robbery known as, "going to the movies".

Thanks Rich! I corrected my initial post. I dearly love that show!

Randy Rose
12-18-2015, 3:30 PM
I saw the original when I was 17, thought then that it would have been better had I been 12.

Somewhat like fireworks.

Tony Zona
12-18-2015, 4:06 PM
The gang from the Big Bang Theory seemed to like it. Though Sheldon did wait to go for a few days. He was busy.

I was very happy for Sheldon, but now he has an annual chore.

Larry Browning
12-18-2015, 4:15 PM
One of my wife's friends told her that I reminded her of the characters on Big Bang Theory. "Which one?" she asked. Her friend answered "All of them!".

Larry Browning
12-18-2015, 4:19 PM
I saw the original when I was 17.....
We took our now 42 year old son to see Star Wars as his first movie in a theater when he was 4. He has loved the series ever since. Even though today, he is not nearly as excited about a new one coming out as was he was back then.

Erik Loza
12-18-2015, 4:34 PM
I recall standing in line to see the original when I was 7 years old. Like, hours of standing in line. We are forunate to have the Alamo Drafthouse theatre in our neighborhood, which sells reserved seating in advance and also, has a strictly enforced no talking/no texting rule. We can't watch movieso in a regular theatre any more.

I have never enjoyed the Rocky Horror Picture Show but it has a huge following. Star Wars (well, at least the first three) has always been the same for me. More of the memories of the time than the movie from a movie's perspective. Though the special effects were far ahead of anything else.

Erik

Prashun Patel
12-18-2015, 5:07 PM
I was the same age, Erik! SW is the first movie I remember seeing in the theater. Or was it Grease???

Frederick Skelly
12-18-2015, 5:57 PM
I enjoyed the originals but I only went to see the first prequel. Just kind of lost interest. Don't really know why. Most folks seemed to like them. But I never did understand the point of the little furry warrior critters, nor that jamaican jack rabbit thing.

But the Alien bar scene? Utterly Classic, with a capital C. The first lightsaber fight they showed? Wow! Or the first time they showed the Imperial Walker Mechs going across that snowy planet? Stunning! Or the fighter attacks on the Deathstar - man, sign me up to fly one of those babies. ☺

Frederick Skelly
12-18-2015, 5:59 PM
I have never enjoyed the Rocky Horror Picture Show
Erik

Me either.

Brian Ashton
12-18-2015, 7:58 PM

I pay very close attention to the advertising and hype that's pushed. It seems to be an inverse relationship in that the more they push the movie the worse it is. So far I'd say the hype where I am is pretty low.

Moses Yoder
12-19-2015, 5:44 PM
I feel that in order for me to judge the quality of a movie I would have to be educated as an actor. I simply go by whether I like the show or not. Star Wars originally came out when I was not allowed to watch TV, I think I saw it for the first time at about age 20. I thought it was well done, have liked the series ever since, and am sure I am going to like the new show. I will probably go to a theater sometime next weekend.

Shawn Pixley
12-19-2015, 7:08 PM
I saw it. I liked it (and the family). But I am a bit of a Star Wars fan.

Mark Blatter
12-19-2015, 7:44 PM
Like others have noted, I saw the first one, Episode 4, at 17 too. A friend told me about it after seeing it so we went and saw it. I loved it and thought it was like a western set in space. I saw #5 while I was in Chile, so with Spanish sub-titles. I went to #6 with my wife and enjoyed it, but not quite as much as the first two.

Numbers 1 - 3 were terrible. Perhaps on Force Awakens I was a little harsh, as I did enjoy it a bit, I just thought it was be better than it was. There is so much about it that could have been better. It is still no where near as good as 4 - 6.

George Werner
12-20-2015, 8:09 PM
Saw it today and loved it. I'll probably see it again this week. For me it ranks up there with Empire.

Kev Williams
12-20-2015, 9:16 PM
When I saw the first movie we got there late, just as that huge dumpster-on-tracks was crawling across the sand. Just seeing that behemoth and wondering how in the he## they did that, and I was hooked. I could've cared less about the plot! I've always loved special effects, and the time and effort that goes into them. Even Flash Gordon, with obvious toy rockets dangling from wires you can see, all in an effort to entertain us...

But these days whatever movies we watch, we do at home on the 70" Sharp... The candy and drinks are cheaper, and nobody breaks into our car. ;)

Brian Henderson
12-20-2015, 9:40 PM
But these days whatever movies we watch, we do at home on the 70" Sharp... The candy and drinks are cheaper, and nobody breaks into our car. ;)

That's largely my position too. I haven't stepped foot in a theater since about 2005, I won't do it again, I'd rather wait a couple of months and enjoy it in the privacy and comfort of my home where I can watch it as many times as I want, put it on pause, rewind, not get gouged for food and drinks and have anyone over to see it I wish. The theatrical experience is very overrated.

David Tolsky
12-21-2015, 12:41 AM
Wrath of Kahn is awesome, from beginning to end. Mostly due to the director who was not Nimoy. Into Darkness was pretty damn close too, and you can tell the filmmakers watched Wrath before making it. Into Darkness is pretty damn awesome

Erik Loza
12-21-2015, 9:38 AM
We saw it last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it, will probably see it again. I'm sure there's lots of little stuff I missed the first time around. If you're a fan (as I am) and have already seen it, find a list online of all the cameos. I'll pay more attention next time.

By the way, there was a point in the movie (if you saw it, you know what I am talking about) at which I gasped audibly in the theatre, think my heart stopped for a few seconds, and then actually beagn to cry during the movie. Heard several other people around us sniffling too. You cannot be a fan of the original three movies and not have been affected.

Erik

Larry Browning
12-21-2015, 9:39 AM
But these days whatever movies we watch, we do at home on the 70" Sharp... The candy and drinks are cheaper, and nobody breaks into our car. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/wink.gif.

That's largely my position too. I haven't stepped foot in a theater since about 2005, I won't do it again, I'd rather wait a couple of months and enjoy it in the privacy and comfort of my home where I can watch it as many times as I want, put it on pause, rewind, not get gouged for food and drinks and have anyone over to see it I wish. The theatrical experience is very overrated.

I am of the completely opposite opinion about going to the movies in a theater.
It makes for a great date night with the wife and no matter what I do at home the popcorn is just better at the theater. Any home TV screen is not going to be a big as even the smallest of theater screen and the surround sound is always better in a theater than at home. There are always fewer distractions at the theater, the phone is not going to ring, so you won't have to pause it every 15 minutes for some other distraction. I suppose going to the movies is one of the luxuries in life that I will splurge on. I do not mind paying the over inflated prices because I enjoy it so much. We try to go at least once a month.

BTW: I haven't seen it yet, but we have plans to go tonight. Can't wait! Really excited to go! I'm not sure I would have the same anticipation excitement if I was going to be watching it at home.

Gerry Grzadzinski
12-21-2015, 9:44 AM
The new theater by us is just awesome. All the seats are huge recliners, with only about 12 seats in each row. You can order food and they deliver it so your seat. And it's only $2 more than your typical theater. ($12)

Erik Loza
12-21-2015, 9:47 AM
...I suppose going to the movies is one of the luxuries in life that I will splurge on. I do not mind paying the over inflated prices because I enjoy it so much...

This ^^^...

We are fortunate enough to have a local theatre called the Alamo Drafthouse. All seating is reserved (for example, we booked ouir Star Wars tickets almost six weeks ago), so you can show up 15 minutes before showtime and go straight to your seats, they have full service menu and drinks, so you can have food brought to you during the movie, and they also have a very strict no talking/no cell phones rule, which they kick people out for. It's our date night and enjoy seeing movies this way.

Erik

Larry Browning
12-21-2015, 10:07 AM
This ^^^...

We are fortunate enough to have a local theatre called the Alamo Drafthouse. All seating is reserved (for example, we booked ouir Star Wars tickets almost six weeks ago), so you can show up 15 minutes before showtime and go straight to your seats, they have full service menu and drinks, so you can have food brought to you during the movie, and they also have a very strict no talking/no cell phones rule, which they kick people out for. It's our date night and enjoy seeing movies this way.

Erik
We live in a very small town and even the bigger town that is close by is small, so we do not have anything like this. I would really like to have reserve seating though. We go to the movies so much that we have a favorite spot we try to sit in every time we go, so we try to get there early so we can claim our favorite seats. "Our" theater is small, but is fairly new, so it has really good sound and the seating is comfortable.

Erik Loza
12-21-2015, 10:11 AM
We live in a very small town and even the bigger town that is close by is small, so we do not have anything like this. I would really like to have reserve seating though. We go to the movies so much that we have a favorite spot we try to sit in every time we go, so we try to get there early so we can claim our favorite seats. "Our" theater is small, but is fairly new, so it has really good sound and the seating is comfortable.

We're lucky. I went to see a movie with my brother last time I went to visit him and we saw a movie in a conventional theatre. Stood in line, not-so-great seats, folks talking through the whole movie. It was a bummer.

Erik

Larry Browning
12-21-2015, 11:35 AM
We're lucky. I went to see a movie with my brother last time I went to visit him and we saw a movie in a conventional theatre. Stood in line, not-so-great seats, folks talking through the whole movie. It was a bummer.

Erik

We don't have too much trouble with talking except for then occasional group of teenagers, but people using their cell phones can a problem. For the most part we don't have problems with rude people.

Chris Padilla
12-22-2015, 4:32 PM
I love Star Wars. However, not to the point where I will stand in line for hours for tickets and then stand in line for hours outside the theater. I don't have a problem waiting for the initial surge to die off. I'll take my family to see VII in a week or two. No hurry.

The real fun is in showing Star Wars to my family. I remember when dating my wife back in grad school (she is from Serbia) and upon learning she had never seen Star Wars, I set up a date to show them to her (IV - VI only back then, VCR) and we knocked all 3 off. It was fun.

Just this weekend, I went through all my DVDs and dug out I-VI so that my daughter could watch them before we head off to see VII. Low and behold, I discovered that III was missing!! So we watched I and II and then off to Target it was for me braving the X-mas crowds (parked illegally!) and I ran in, searched high and low, and finally found III. It was some special "metal tin" limited edition version in Blu Ray listed at like $40! I grimaced at the price but doggone it, this was for my daughter! Upon check-out, I saw that I was charged a bit under $19 so major score for me!! So we watched III later that evening.

It was fun watching the first 3 again. During this week, we'll knock out the second 3 and then we'll be ready. I think this is the first time I will have watched them in order within a short period of time. Quite fun! I look forward to the stark technology contrast between the two groups. Watching Yoda jump around whipping his light saber around in I-III was just precious. He'll be back to his puppet-self for the next 3.

My daughter will be seeing things in chronological order unlike most of us. Cool cool cool all around!! I get to explain things to her.

VII could be awful but I just really doubt it. I will go see Star Wars as long as they make them and I will buy the Blu Rays once they release them. That is just how it works for me. :)

George Werner
12-22-2015, 4:39 PM
My daughter will be seeing things in chronological order unlike most of us. Cool cool cool all around!! I get to explain things to her.

Please tell me you mean you'll be showing them to her in the order they were released. Watching episodes 1-3 before watching 4-6 ruins one of the best parts of Empire.

Larry Browning
12-22-2015, 5:04 PM
Please tell me you mean you'll be showing them to her in the order they were released. Watching episodes 1-3 before watching 4-6 ruins one of the best parts of Empire.

Chris,
I totally agree with George. If she sees 1-3 first she will probably tell you to not bother with the rest. Compared to 4-6, (or any movie for that matter) 1-3 are terrible. Plus, just seeing 4-6 leads perfectly into episode 7. Thankfully Jar-Jar is not mentioned even once in episode 7. (Hope that wasn't a spoiler!) I went to see it last night (Monday) and it was awesome!
BTW: The theater was only about 2/3 occupied and the lines were pretty short. There are 8 theaters in the complex I went to, and they were showing Star Wars in 4 of them.

Erik Loza
12-22-2015, 5:14 PM
My wife was in a similar boat. We did a marathon of the "good three" movies, before seeing the new one. Last night, we did watch the last of the "bad three". IMO,the least bad of them but important because it does explain quite a bit of the subsequent story line. The first of the Bad Three should be avoided at all costs.

Erik

Larry Browning
12-22-2015, 5:54 PM
My 2 granddaughters (sisters ages 12 and 14, and both WAY too pretty for Daddy to sleep well at night) had not seen any of the Star Wars movies. Last weekend the 12yo stayed with us on Saturday and we watched episodes 4-6 with her. The 14yo has a boyfriend who is a Stars Wars fanatic. So, when he came over to their house one afternoon and he found out that the 12yo had seen 4-6, he spent all his time talking to her, rather than to the 14yo. Of course the 12yo loved it! But, let me tell you, big sister was none too happy with little sis. I am afraid this may just be the beginning. Man! It really is a lot more fun being grandpa instead of daddy!

Dennis Peacock
12-22-2015, 8:29 PM
I enjoyed it but I wasn't as thrilled over this one as I was the others.

Brian Henderson
12-23-2015, 1:51 AM
My wife was in a similar boat. We did a marathon of the "good three" movies, before seeing the new one. Last night, we did watch the last of the "bad three". IMO,the least bad of them but important because it does explain quite a bit of the subsequent story line. The first of the Bad Three should be avoided at all costs.

Erik

Luckily, you can completely ignore the first two prequels and not miss a thing, which is a good thing because they are just awful films in every conceivable way. The third isn't very good, but at least you can get through it without seeing the first two.

Chris Padilla
12-23-2015, 1:23 PM
Sorry...we are reviewing them in order. She was already familiar with all the best parts and who is who so no big deal to see them in chronological order. She has just never sat down and watched them all. We just finished IV last night. Tonight will be, arguably, the best one: V.

Also, I'm not sure why folks like to rip so hard on I-III. They are important to the story line but I enjoyed them as much as IV-VI. It was wonderful to see Yoda move around so much. He just couldn't do much sitting on Frank Oz's arm, ya know! :) But, each to their own.

Chris Padilla
12-24-2015, 9:39 PM
Just got back from seeing VII with the family. Loved it! It was awesome to see the 'old crew' (yeah, they are old indeed! LOL) back again fighting evil. Looking forward to more!

Pat Barry
12-25-2015, 8:25 PM
Family just returned from watching Star Wars Episode VII and most want to watch more of the older shows tonight. I'd say that's a pretty good endorsement. I think we all enjoyed it but I'd rather give it a little time before going back to watch the older episodes.

Brad Adams
12-25-2015, 9:12 PM
Just got back from it also. It was awesome!

Gerry Grzadzinski
12-25-2015, 9:38 PM
Just printed my tickets for tomorrow night. Tonight and most of tomorrow were already sold out.

ron david
12-27-2015, 1:46 PM
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/george-clayton-johnson-died-dead-star-trek-logans-run-1201667540/
wrote the first episode of star trek
ron