PDA

View Full Version : Finish for a burl HF

Glen Blanchard
12-18-2015, 12:46 AM
This is the first time I have really worked with a burl (I think it's maple) and I should finish hollowing tomorrow. Would really like to make the burl pop and am wondering what methods would best achieve this. Was considering Danish oil but am wondering if there are more effective options I should consider.

Steve Schlumpf
12-18-2015, 10:08 AM
Glen - it is hard to suggest something without seeing the wood but if you want to make the burl pop, then you will need to use some type of an oil based finish. If you use a Danish oil, then make sure you use a fresh can of a 'natural' colored oil in order to not tint the wood - unless that was something you wanted to do. Also be sure to wipe off any excess to ensure a quicker drying time and minimize any sticky areas.

An oil-based poly will also work well at highlighting the burl, but depending on gloss level used, may add a sheen - so take that into consideration before applying.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing the HF!

Glen Blanchard
12-19-2015, 7:58 PM
Thanks Steve. I bought a new container of both Tung oil and Danish oil and put a few coats on a waste piece of burl for comparison. I can't see any visual difference, so I used the Tung oil on my HF.

robert baccus
12-19-2015, 8:37 PM
Did you thin the tung oil with mineral spirits first. Cuts the hardening time by days if not weeks.

Glen Blanchard
12-19-2015, 8:53 PM
I did not. I was hoping to buff in about 3 days. Too soon?

Wendell Steele
12-19-2015, 11:06 PM
Can you use Tru-oil and 0000 steel wool ?

Wes Ramsey
12-21-2015, 12:34 PM
I would consider aniline dye to add some depth to the grain - maybe a light brown. Then sand it to take most of the color off. Danish oil to finish it off and Beall buffed should look great.

Stew Hagerty
12-21-2015, 1:47 PM
I made this for my daughter's old boyfriend. His band had just cut their first CD so I mounted it onto a nice slab. I rubbed in a light coat of Behlen Tung Oil, followed my a French Polish with Blonde Shellac.