PDA

View Full Version : What about aMulti-Router?

Tony Pearson
06-09-2003, 11:03 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Multi-Router from JDS Company located in SC? I am curious as to how difficult they are to operate and the cost of the machine.

Any input would be very helpful.

Thanks----Tony

Jim Becker
06-10-2003, 9:00 AM
I haven't used one, but did watch it demonstrated at a show recently. It's an impressive tool for all kinds of joinery routing. It's not inexpensive...you'll have to call them for the price, but I think it's in the neighborhood of $1500 plus or minus. (don't quote me on that...)

Alternatives to this device would be the new Leigh M&T device and the WoodRat. The Leigh is a really nice product from what I've seen...I believe that Dave Arbuckle has one and has spoken highly of it if my mind is not failing me.

Steven Wilson
06-10-2003, 11:24 AM
Check out the Felder Group on Yahoo. Many of those folks use the multi-router and there are number of articles discussing it.

Dave Avery
06-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Haven't used or seen one in person. David Marks on DIY Woodworks uses one regularly.

Jim, check out Highland Hardware as far a pricing is concerned..... the real cost is 2X that number and accessories can add even more. I considered this machine but made my own horizontal router table instead. I have less than $100 in it, it's solid as a rock, and works quite well. Now that I sorta know how to do pictures, I'll post a few this evening.

Jim Becker
06-10-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Dave Avery
Jim, check out Highland Hardware as far a pricing is concerned..... the real cost is 2X that number and accessories can add even more.

Ooops! I guess that memory thing isn't working the way it's supposed to!! (The Leigh looks really attractive now... :D )

Dave Arbuckle
06-10-2003, 12:34 PM
You're memory is holding in on the FMT owner list though, don't despair... ;)

Thing to know is that FMT is a mortise and tenon jig. MultiRouter is an all kinds of thing jig, if I understand correctly. If only M&T is desired, FMT is certainly worth consideration, it is a very nicely executed device.

Dave

Dan Barber
06-10-2003, 7:48 PM
As to the price, its over $2.5K now. It was less than $2400 when I built mine.

Here is a picture of what my plan resulted in.

http://www.woodisourart.com/mortiseflex/images/DSC00073.jpg

It takes a little work, but the end result is worth it. If you shop around some on ebay, you could probably find all the needed parts for $500 or less.

The Multi-Router is a great product, but it's very expensive. If I had the time, I'd get the castings made and sell a like product for $1500 or less.

Cheers,

Dan

See the link below for the how to story....

Mortise-Flex (http://www.woodisourart.com/mortiseflex/mortiseflex.htm)