PDA

View Full Version : Yet another RDWorks question

Josh Ledger
12-17-2015, 12:00 AM
Hey guys, sorry to bombard everyone with so many questions, but it seems every time I try to create a new project I run into another issue that I can't figure out.

So I designed a vector file in AI and imported it into RDWorksV8 and ran the simulation and noticed that it was setup to cut some of my outermost outlines before it cut the inner shapes out. I ran the auto cut optimize and the new cut path did look different but the simulation still showed the outermost outlines being cut before the inner shapes. So then I manually reordered the cut order in RDWorks but the simulation didn't change. So then I reordered my layers in AI, saved, imported new file and I get the same thing going on. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks in advance guys!

Julian Ashcroft
12-17-2015, 5:42 AM
I don't use AI, but I import files form Inkscape as plain dxf files, with no colours selected. I do all the colours in RDWorks. In Cut Optimize have you got "Order of Layer" and "Inside to Outside" ticked?

Josh Ledger
12-17-2015, 7:38 AM
Thanks for replying Julian. I checked off both of the options you listed but the simulation still won't change. Any other suggestions? Also, I noticed that one of my lines isn't curved the same in RDworks as it was in AI:

AI File with line circled

RDWorks with line circled.

See how messed up that is? Anybody have any ideas on this issue?

Thanks!

Josh Ledger
12-17-2015, 8:03 AM
Found this video from Sabarmultimedia that helped with the ordering of the cuts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wVGHLWHirM in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

I still have that messed up curve issue though.

Rich Harman
12-17-2015, 3:40 PM
I'm still using version 6* (maybe 5, not sure) but I can tell you that I have given up trying to manually order the cuts. It seems to cut whichever way it wants regardless how I set it up. The simulation has only been useful if there were only one speed setting. Otherwise the times are wildly inaccurate. Maybe the current version is better in this regard.

Regarding the video that Josh posted, at around the 5 minute mark he notices that "SUE" is not merged into the outline. He says he must go back to his CAD program to fix but it is actually very easy to fix that in RDCam via node editing. It would literally only take a minute, maybe two to fix it.

As far as cutting inside shapes before the outside, this has worked very well for me. Problems arise when the outside shape is not closed. The outside shapes must be a closed polygon, else the software cannot determine what is "inside" it.

Also, I have noticed that occasionally there is a hiccup when there are lots of grouping. Selecting everything, then ungrouping before running the job fixes that. There may be some other way to fix that issue but ungrouping is easy.

I've tried installing V8 a couple times but haver never succeeded. Someday when I upgrade the computer I'll give it another go. For now, I am so used to it that I am able to make it work. My greatest frustrations come when a setting gets changed without me noticing. The start from Origin, Machine Zero, or Current Position is one that gets me once in a great while. I always use "Current Position" but I have had it happen where it gets changed to "Machine Zero" for some reason and several minutes of cursing ensue before I remember to check that.

Rich Harman
12-17-2015, 3:44 PM
RDWorks with line circled.

See how messed up that is? Anybody have any ideas on this issue?

Are you exporting as AI v8?

Kev Williams
12-17-2015, 5:19 PM
The only sure fire way I've found to insure the insides cut first is to COLOR the inside cuts different than the outside cuts, and then make sure the inside color cuts first---

Keith Winter
12-17-2015, 9:55 PM
What if you did as Kev suggested used different colors for different layer orders? Never tried it but worth seeing if it's possible. Export illustrator 8. Rdworks does poorly with stacked layers in my experience not matter what you do

Josh Ledger
12-18-2015, 7:58 AM
I was able to manually order the cuts by following the video, however, it was easier to just change the color of the outside lines than to manually reorder the cuts.

I export in AI CS5 format.

I ended up deleting the curve in AI that was getting messed up in RDWorks and redrawing it. I may have also ungrouped everything as well but can't remember if I did or not but either way, I fixed the curve and was able to successfully cut my file :)

I have a lot of learning to do but I've already learned so much from this forum and messing with the programs and machine. Thanks so much everyone!