PDA

View Full Version : Doweling Jigs: Dowelmax Classic VS JessEm Paralign 08300

Ben Rivel
12-16-2015, 6:03 PM
Dowelmax Classic (LINK (http://www.dowelmax.com/standard-order.html)) VS JessEm Paralign 08300 (LINK (http://www.jessemdirect.com/Paralign_Dowelling_System_p/08300.htm))

327277 VS 327278 FIGHT!!!

Been thinking about picking up a doweling jig and seem to have narrowed it down to one of these two. However Im having a bit of trouble deciding which to go with. To be honest they really seem to do the exact same thing, with price and fit/finish points going to the JessEm. It even looks pretty much all the available accessories are equal. But maybe there is something I'm missing between the two which is why I wanted to ask you fine folks first.

So what do you guys/gals think? Which gets your vote and why?

Randy Rose
12-16-2015, 6:52 PM
Jessem O8350

richard poitras
12-16-2015, 7:36 PM
Bill Huber did a review some time back ... here is the review.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiJktCC0uHJAhVE0xQKHZTdDuEQFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sawmillcreek.org%2Fshowthread .php%3F140404-Jessem-s-new-dowel-jig-WOW!!!!&usg=AFQjCNH-pEkFSQDTlUfX2UfDYCc-nSxzrA

richard poitras
12-16-2015, 7:39 PM
I have the Dowel Max and like it. I got it before the Jessem was on the market. I have never seen or used the Jessem? but I would buy the DM again.

Sean Tracey
12-16-2015, 11:45 PM
I have the 8300. I love it. It's totally machined and symetrical and that allows me to use it in ways to make joints that Jessem probably never dreamed of. I have often removed the fence and used it with Woodpecker's square to install dividers or shelves in the middle of cabinets. I don't use the spacing rods but instead use various lengths of long 1/4-20 bolts in their place and steel spacer bushings to have different and repeatable spacing setups.

Cary Falk
12-17-2015, 12:23 AM
I have the Jessem 8300 and am very happy with it. No shims/spacers like the Dowel Max.

Michelle Rich
12-17-2015, 7:22 AM
I have had the dowelmax since pluto was a pup..stellar tool. sorry, have never used the jessem

Prashun Patel
12-17-2015, 8:37 AM
I owned the Dowelmax and now own the new Jessem 8350 (little Brother version of the Paralign). I like the Jessem better. Both work fantastically accurately. I find the Jessem more intuitive. You don't have to take it apart to adjust the depth. Also, the depth markers are useful on the Jessem.

All this being said, - and I hate to go off topic on you - consider whether the Domino is affordable to you. I own both the Jessem and a Domino and find the Domino far more quick and versatile. The dowel jigs are not good at drilling on angled faces and so many other weird joinery applications that are hard to articulate. All I can say is that it's far more versatile than I imagined when I bought it.

Shoot, if you want my 8350 PM me.

Ben Rivel
12-17-2015, 10:57 AM
I owned the Dowelmax and now own the new Jessem 8350 (little Brother version of the Paralign). I like the Jessem better. Both work fantastically accurately. I find the Jessem more intuitive. You don't have to take it apart to adjust the depth. Also, the depth markers are useful on the Jessem.

All this being said, - and I hate to go off topic on you - consider whether the Domino is affordable to you. I own both the Jessem and a Domino and find the Domino far more quick and versatile. The dowel jigs are not good at drilling on angled faces and so many other weird joinery applications that are hard to articulate. All I can say is that it's far more versatile than I imagined when I bought it.

Shoot, if you want my 8350 PM me.
While I do value your opinion Prashun as you offer a lot of good advice around here, I must admit I am trying to avoid getting into the Festool system as I think its terrible how much they charge for their tools. I find it offensive.

Also thank you for the offer, but I am really only considering the two options mentioned in this thread right now. Though Im sure someone will hit you up about your 8350, as from what Ive seen thats a good and popular product.

Mike Henderson
12-17-2015, 10:59 AM
The Domino is better than any dowel jig. And a tenon is superior to dowels. If you can afford a Domino, go that way.

Also, you'll find that you use the Domino more and more as you gain experience with it. It's not a tool that you put on the shelf and only pull out a couple of times a year.

Mike

Prashun Patel
12-17-2015, 11:02 AM
Point taken. Given your position, I genuinely believe you'll be happy with either.

Matt Day
12-17-2015, 11:17 AM
Mike, the OP didn't ask about dowel vs Domino.

I've never used the DM but have the Jessem and like it a lot. Very well made product, and Bill Huber has some great mods for it and tutorials.

mreza Salav
12-17-2015, 11:26 AM
Agree with Prashun. I have both 8300 and 8350 Jessem as well as domino.
I think the Jessem jigs are more accurate than domino (I disagree with Mike in this regard) but domino is waaaaay faster. It is pricy but for me when I had a lot of work to do in our house and time was money it was well worth it (every penny I paid).
I still use the 8300 often when doing case work and I want to get alignment before screwing/nailing things.

Ben Rivel
12-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Agree with Prashun. I have both 8300 and 8350 Jessem as well as domino.
I think the Jessem jigs are more accurate than domino (I disagree with Mike in this regard) but domino is waaaaay faster. It is pricy but for me when I had a lot of work to do in our house and time was money it was well worth it (every penny I paid).
I still use the 8300 often when doing case work and I want to get alignment before screwing/nailing things.
I do NOT want to start this thread into a Festool vs anything else discussion/argument as there are already WAY too many of those out there, but what you mentioned about the Domino being less accurate is something I have read quite a few times around the net from people that actually own both a good doweling jig and the Domino. Since time is not a concern for me that was also another push to go the good quality doweling jig route.

Prashun Patel
12-17-2015, 11:56 AM
Due respect Matt, OP DID ask in the poll 'Different product (comment in thread)'. Which some of us might have misconstrued to mean other joinery tools - not just doweling jigs.

That being said, OP also has made it clear subsequently he's interested in one of the two dowel jigs. So, while we're free to say professionally whatever we want, IMHO it'll serve him best to keep the Domino out of this particular thread.

Jon Nuckles
12-17-2015, 11:59 AM
Woodworkers who have used both options enough times to give you an informed opinion are going to be rare. Prashun may be as close as you will come. I have used the Dowelmax, but not the Jessem. The Dowelmax has a bit of a learning curve, but I found it to be very accurate and easy to use once you are familiar with it. The instructions are very good, so you make good joints from the start; it just takes more time because you have to refer to the book as you set things up. I was using my former shop partner's Dowelmax and am now considering my own choice between the two you mention, so I'll follow this thread with interest.

Prashun Patel
12-17-2015, 2:00 PM
Prashun may be as close as you will come..

I wouldn't overstate it. Don't let my prolific postings give the false impression that I'm an expert.

Ben Rivel
12-17-2015, 2:49 PM
I wouldn't overstate it. Don't let my prolific postings give the false impression that I'm an expert.
Smart man, never claim to be an expert of anything ;)

Patrick Irish
12-17-2015, 2:59 PM
Got the Paralign and the 1/4' kit for my Bday, can't wait to use it.

John Gornall
12-17-2015, 3:21 PM
I have enjoyed using the "other" Jessem dowel jig - 08350.

The full kit has 3 inserts for different dowels sizes and spacing:

1/4" - 7 dowels spaced 1/2" apart.

3/8" - 5 dowels spaced 3/4" apart.

1/2" - 3 dowels spaced 1 inch apart.

The other jigs offer no different spacing.

My old Stanley 59 dowel jig works well too.

Von Bickley
12-17-2015, 10:26 PM
I have enjoyed using the "other" Jessem dowel jig - 08350.

The full kit has 3 inserts for different dowels sizes and spacing:

1/4" - 7 dowels spaced 1/2" apart.

3/8" - 5 dowels spaced 3/4" apart.

1/2" - 3 dowels spaced 1 inch apart.

The other jigs offer no different spacing.

My old Stanley 59 dowel jig works well too.

I agree with John.....

John Gornall
12-18-2015, 10:09 AM
Another piece of the Domino vs dowel thing is that as I get older and mellower I can use the dowel jig with a Millers Falls no.2 hand drill. Then brush the chips off the bench to be swept up later. No noise or fine dust and for me a more pleasent time at the bench. I have a commercial shop where I make my living but at my home shop I'm getting more and more Jim Tolpinish. To pick up a few nice boards and make something at the bench while the music plays is a good day. Enough days spent with earmuffs on trying to set a record for production, although, that hard work is why I can enjoy myself now.