PDA

View Full Version : Bad week (long)

David Wilson
09-04-2005, 4:56 PM
Seems like the past year is one I would like to skip. Our dog Nala has been ill for about three months. Last Wed LOML took her to the vet for more tests. Found out that her liver had failed to function and we had to have her put to sleep. The hardest thing we have ever had to do. She gtraced us with 9 great years but she will be truely missed.
Don' know if we will get another dog or not. Time will tell.

Thanks for listening to my ravings.

Jason Solodow
09-04-2005, 5:08 PM
Hey David-
I understand what you're going through and you have my deepest sympathy. Almost two years ago I lost my beloved dog to cancer at four years of age. Putting her to sleep was the hardest thing I've ever done. Anyway, my sympathies to you and the LOYL. Just hang in there..

Jason

Jim O'Dell
09-04-2005, 5:19 PM
It's always hard to lose a close companion, and dogs are truely that. LOML and I have had to make that decision 5 times in the last 23 years, the last just this past spring. Each one was as hard as the one before.
But don't let the heatache keep you from making friends with another special soul. We currently have 4 in our household. All of our's have been Irish Setters, and each one has been different and unique. If you want to do something special, adopt a rescue from the breed rescue program of your choice. If I can help point you to someone in your area, just let me know. Jim.

Richard Wolf
09-04-2005, 5:32 PM
I feel your pain, David. No words can take your sorrow away. There are people who own pets, and than there are people that make animals part of their family. You know you gave Nala the best life she could of had, take joy in that. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Richard

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-04-2005, 6:01 PM
I know how you feel. We lost our companion of 15 years several years ago. She was a joy to have around and really was MANS BEST FRIEND. There will always be an empty space on our hearts that she filled. I, too, am sorry for your loss.

Bruce

Ken Garlock
09-04-2005, 6:09 PM
David, I know how you feel. 1 1/2 years ago, we had to put down our cat of 16 years. Time makes it better, but not quite the same. Get yourselves down the ASPCA shelter for a new pup that needs a good home like yours.

Jim Becker
09-04-2005, 8:22 PM
David, sorry to hear of your loss. Pets do indeed become "part of the family" and when they reach their time to go, it's not necessarily much different from losing any other family member emotionally...the emptiness is still there. One of these days, we're going to experience the same thing with Spike, our 16 1/2 year old Cockatiel, who has a form of cancer that affects his digestive/renal system. I'm not looking forward to it.

Hang in there...you will always have your memories!

Ernie Nyvall
09-05-2005, 8:39 AM
Sorry for you loss David.
I have one that is getting along at 12 yrs. He still likes to walk with me and of course lie down in my path and roll over on his back. I don't want to think about him gone.

Ernie

John Miliunas
09-05-2005, 2:27 PM
David, your post is NOT "raving", but just a demonstration for the love and joy you shared with a being close to you and your family. My sympathies go out to you, as it's hard to deal with. Know that in time, it will get better and only the happy memories will remain. Been there, done that. Best wishes.

Dale Thompson
09-05-2005, 9:58 PM
David,
In the "real" world, I never knew Nala. In MY world, however, I knew her well. The trust and devotion of a beloved pet has no price. You will NEVER replace Nala but you should consider a "second-stringer" who will soon win your heart, ease your pain and make his/her own mark on your life and happiness.

I lost my shop cat of 16 years about a year and a half ago (Actually it was May 17th, 2004, at 11:00AM). My grown daughter came up from Oak Creek, WI and she and my wife took Cupid on her last trip to the vet. Although I don't own a gun, I would have found a way to shoot myself before I could have walked into the Vet's office with my "cat from hell"!

The silly "blurred vision" thing has decreased from seven days a week to slightly less than one. I'm going through one right NOW!

David, maybe you already have but please check out the link below. It has helped a lot of people I'm sure. Some folks may think that it is "corny". To those folks I would say, "I don't give a fiddler's bowstring WHAT you think"!!

Please understand that many of us share your grief!

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

Dale T.

Vaughn McMillan
09-06-2005, 1:19 AM
David, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. My various dogs through the years have been better friends than most of the people I've known, and it does indeed leave an empty spot when they're gone. In my experience, the best way to get through the sad times is find another furry kid that needs a loving home (yours), and bring them there. Given a bit of time, you and the LOYL will probably meet another dog somewhere along the way that needs you, and all three of you will know it's the right thing. Sorta goes along with your signature line regarding windbreaks and windmills. Wishing you all the best.

- Vaughn

Gary Herrmann
09-06-2005, 2:22 AM
David, I'm very sorry to hear about Nala. I lost a yellow lab to liver failure 3 years ago. Its hard to have them put down. But when their quality of life deteriorates so markedly...

We did get another dog - two actually. The new pups don't replace Bear, but they have been adding to good memories - of which Bear was a big part. You're not raving, just expressing yourself. Those of us that have had furry family members know how important they are.

Bill Lewis
09-06-2005, 7:03 AM
Our pets truely are a part of our families. I am always so amazed at the connection that we can have with cats and dogs. My wife and I don't have any kids, only our cats and dogs. So at least in our case, our pets are our children. Just look at my avitar.

We too had to let one of the cats go last week. At just over 10 he suffered a stroke. He had been a special needs kitty since we got him. He suffered from inflamatory bowel disease for his whole life. Even knowing this it wasn't easy to let him go.

David Wilson
09-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks for all your kind words.