PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Ford F250 or 2016 Chevy 2500HD? Discuss.

Todd Burch
12-15-2015, 3:38 PM
I've been looking at these trucks a lot, both gas and diesel. I think they would both be fine trucks. When configuring which model I was interested in, I looked heavily on towing capability and capacity.

All in all, the Ford (F250 XL) beats the Chevy (WT) on paper for pulling.

But, what it's coming down to for me right now is the rear view camera!! Go figure. Unless you are ordering FLEET, you can't get a rear view camera on Ford F250, but Chevy puts them on lots of trucks.

For the Ford F250, I'm looking at an XL, crew cab, long bed. For the Chevy, the Work Truck, double cab, long bed.

For hauling logs and a skid steer, which one would you opt for, and why?

Todd

(Edit: Fixed subject line to correct year Ford! Thanks Bruce!)

Patrick McCarthy
12-15-2015, 4:36 PM
I'm a Chevy guy. One of my daughters had a early 90's Ford 150 while in college and doing rodeo but I would not be inclined to get another, but we still have 3 Chevy Silverado trucks (as well as having gone thru 3 suburbans 3/4 tons 454) . . . . . a 90 3/4 ton longbed with over 300,000 miles on a 454 Tonawanda engine that is still going strong, uses hardly any oil, ain't pretty but I wouldn't hesitate to hop in it and head to NY or TX . . . a 91 1/2 ton shortbed stepside with a 350, rebuilt tranny and 235,000 miles . . . and my newest toy, a 2015 Silverado 4x4 double cab with the corvette based 6.2 v8 and the 8 spd trannny . . . . so I vote Chevy.

Over the past 22,000 miles I have averaged 18.5 mpg. My neighbor has a 2015 2500 4x4 with the Rancho suspension and the 6.0 truck based engine . . . and is struggling to stay near 10mpg . . . . .

If I was planning to haul, I would likely go the 2500 Duramax and Allison combo . . . .but still probably bump up from the WT . . the older I get , the more I appreciate (need) the creature comforts . . . . .

Tom M King
12-15-2015, 4:55 PM
I don't know about the 2016 chevy. I haven't looked at them for a good while. I've been driving my '01 3500 Duramax/Allison since I bought it new 16 years ago. I'll buy another one when this one plays out in maybe another ten years. I've pulled stuff way over rated capacity, and it just says "come on, let's go", and provides all the passengers with a smooth ride. I ordered it before the dealer could even tell me how much it would cost. I had been following the development of the Duramax for a couple of years before GM started putting it in their trucks. It's one of the few things I've ever bought that ended up being better than I expected it to be. Currently have 276,000 miles on it, and the only thing worn out is the seat, which I replaced the padding and leather cover on. The motor is a quiet beast, and the transmission is a marvel.

I added a Garmin GPS with backup camera, and like it just fine up on top of the dash. I don't remember the model number, but it even recommends lanes to be in.

I've worn out trucks of all the brands, and Chevy's drive best to me, ride the smoothest, and have given me the least trouble. I doubt I'll ever get anything else from here on out.

Kent Adams
12-15-2015, 5:20 PM
Neither, if I wanted towing capacity, I'd take a Ram over either one of those. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_of9b3nPSI. Yeah, its a 3500, but it even beat's Ford's f450. 900ft. pounds of torque.

Jerome Stanek
12-15-2015, 5:33 PM
Neither, if I wanted towing capacity, I'd take a Ram over either one of those. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_of9b3nPSI. Yeah, its a 3500, but it even beat's Ford's f450. 900ft. pounds of torque.

But that would require a cdl to pull that much and the drive train is it's weak point.

Todd Burch
12-15-2015, 5:38 PM
I'm looking to pull a max of 14K lbs. Chevy gas is rated at about 12,300. Ford gas at 13,100. Both diesels are at or above 14K. My towing will be intermittent. I've read that the Chevy gas MPG is really bad. It comes with a 4.10 rear end only. On the Ford, I would get the 3.73 locking (gas) or the 3.31 locking (diesel).

Ian Moone
12-15-2015, 7:28 PM
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Ford-F250-2015/AGC-AD-18007250/?Cr=3

$14K you say?

YPB!

Get the diesel!. You couldn't get my 2004 F 250 7.3 out of me unless you pry the keys from my cold dead hands!. Paid round $82+K for it from memory!.

You don't know how good you have it!

Tom M King
12-15-2015, 7:56 PM
One of the best things I added to mine right off was a 56 gallon aftermarket fuel tank. I fill up every 900 miles whether I need to or not. My '01 was the last year they didn't even put cat converters on diesels. No DEF either. It was also the first year of the Duramax before they started upping the hp and torque. Mine has pulled whatever I put behind it, and has plenty of power for me. I would feel guilty about no cat converter, but at 18.8 mpg for a dually, the guilt doesn't hurt so badly. With the big tank, it makes it hard to separate out pulling and running with no load, but whatever I do with it, it always averages out to the 18.8. This is a 7300 pound dually.

Kent Adams
12-15-2015, 8:00 PM
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Ford-F250-2015/AGC-AD-18007250/?Cr=3

$14K you say?

YPB!

Get the diesel!. You couldn't get my 2004 F 250 7.3 out of me unless you pry the keys from my cold dead hands!. Paid round $82+K for it from memory!.

You don't know how good you have it!

He wrote 14,000 pounds, not $. With the exchange rate that $156k aussie dollars is still $112k American dollars. That's crazy!

Scott T Smith
12-16-2015, 2:00 AM
Todd, I've found that diesel pickups really outshine gasoline ones when it comes to pulling. Also, on heavier trucks (F250 and larger) the gas engines are not as economical as on the 1/2 ton models.

Ford, GM and Dodge all make good solid trucks. Here on the farm we have 250,350, and 450 Fords, and 5500 GMC's. All are good.

Ian Moone
12-16-2015, 8:32 AM
That's crazy!

Indeed - thanks be to goodness for that free trade agreement we signed - hey!

Ya'll should trade right outta that $18 trillion debt any day soon! ;)

Justin Ludwig
12-16-2015, 8:58 PM
Go diesel. Doesn't matter if you pick Ford or Chevy as it's all preference. I was raised with Chevy, but own a 2013 F250 with 6.3L Powerstroke. I love it. It pulls my 7x16 box trailer fully loaded with cabs like its empty. I have friends with the duramax and swear by them. Drive them both then pick one you like.

roger wiegand
12-17-2015, 8:51 AM
I just put in a wired rearview camera system from a company called Rearview Safety in my F350 (2007 diesel, dually, long bed, ext cab). It's much nicer than any factory installed camera I've seen to date. I put in three cameras, one on the back of my camper, one on the back of the 24 ft trailer I haul, and one on the truck license plate to see my hitch ball when attaching the trailer. I'm not sure I wouldn't see the absence of a factory unit as a plus rather than a minus. I'd be afraid that the factory one would be like getting stuck with an expensive, outdated factory GPS in a vehicle. Starting in a year or two they are going to be required on all US vehicles, I believe.

I'd love to have a bigger fuel tank! I only get 7-8 mpg when traveling fully loaded which means stopping for fuel every 200 miles, which has occasionally been problematic. I'm pushing my rear axle weights as it is though, I'm afraid.

I've had Fords and Chevy's about equally over the years, they both work. My more limited experience with Chrysler products post my series of dearly departed 1964-1968 Dodge Darts and Plymouth Valiants has not been so good.

Dick Strauss
12-17-2015, 8:58 AM
Lots of companies offer aftermarket rearview camera systems now. You can probably find something both better and cheaper than the OEM versions.