PDA

View Full Version : Massively clogged blower

Keith Winter
12-15-2015, 2:46 PM
Found this nasty business in my blower after a year or so, it about stopped sucking air in yesterday. Disgusting isn't it? Thought I'd share how dirty these things can get.

Working now after using a shop vac and brush on it. I'm going to have to setup a semi-annual cleaning schedule. Any tips to make maintenance easier? Currently mounted to the floor connected to an 8" intake duct pipe mounted to the wall.

David Somers
12-15-2015, 3:31 PM
Keith,

Is this just used for the laser or does it serve other devices? I have 3 blowers around the garage serving a CNC, a wood lathe, and the laser. The laser is clean as a whistle so far. The woodlathe has little in it as well, mostly because I only use it when sanding, not while using gouges and whatnot. It is the CNC that seems to generate the most clogging stuff. Fortunately, I setup each with an easily reachable primary grate so I can check those quickly. And the laser blower is under the house and I have a transparent tube on it so I can see if there is buildup inside the house along its length. I also put cam clamps on each of the hoses that connect to the large grate you show. That way I can disconnect quickly to clean when desired, instead of having to fuss with a standard hose clamp.

Dave.

Dan Hintz
12-15-2015, 4:13 PM
If you're doing work that causes that much contaminants, you should be doing monthly maintenance on the blower pipes/grills. That's a fire accident waiting to happen.

Gary Hair
12-15-2015, 4:29 PM
First thing I did to my HF blowers was remove the grate. It's not needed with lasering but semi-important if you were using it for woodworking.

Scott Shepherd
12-15-2015, 5:09 PM
First thing I did to my HF blowers was remove the grate. It's not needed with lasering but semi-important if you were using it for woodworking.

I've watched two people start reaching their hand to the blower when plugged in. If it weren't for me freaking out, both would be without fingers or worse right now. I suspect the grate will stop it from sucking someone's hand in that doesn't quite understand what power is behind those things. It's terrifying to watch someone turn it on and move their hand towards the opening to make sure it's working.

Kev Williams
12-15-2015, 6:56 PM
I clean my grates out every 3 or 4 months or so, or whenever I notice the smoke doesn't seem to draw as fast. About once a year I have to clean the guck off, but most times the grate catches the occasional sticky note and double-back tape pieces ;)

Food for thought here, your laser and computers are full of cooling fans, and a lot of dust & dirt gets past any filter. When was the last time you took an air hose to your laser and computer's power supply, circuit boards and heat sinks? You might be amazed at the dust! (blow lightly or from a good distance with compressed air, and have a running wet-dry vac's hose nearby to help catch the dust cloud!)

Gary Hair
12-15-2015, 7:16 PM
I've watched two people start reaching their hand to the blower when plugged in. If it weren't for me freaking out, both would be without fingers or worse right now. I suspect the grate will stop it from sucking someone's hand in that doesn't quite understand what power is behind those things. It's terrifying to watch someone turn it on and move their hand towards the opening to make sure it's working.

And that is exactly why I don't have employees! If I can't find one smart enough to not put their hand in a fan then I'll do without...

Just curious though - why is that end open and accessible if it's being used? That is the end connected to the ductwork.

Scott Shepherd
12-15-2015, 7:22 PM
And that is exactly why I don't have employees! If I can't find one smart enough to not put their hand in a fan then I'll do without...

Just curious though - why is that end open and accessible if it's being used? That is the end connected to the ductwork.

Both times, the people who did it were very smart people who had never been around that type of blower. Both times, they were helping install the blower in one case, a dust collector on the router on another case. I don't know what it is, but it's like handing someone the end of a shop vac. First thing everyone does is put their hand over it. In this case, they flipped the switch to make sure it was running (new outlets installed by electricians) and immediately reached for the opening to see if it was pulling air in.

Believe me, it's one of the most terrifying things you will ever witness.

Mike Null
12-15-2015, 7:51 PM
I'm with Dan on the monthly maintenance.

Gary Hair
12-15-2015, 8:24 PM
Both times, the people who did it were very smart people who had never been around that type of blower. Both times, they were helping install the blower in one case, a dust collector on the router on another case. I don't know what it is, but it's like handing someone the end of a shop vac. First thing everyone does is put their hand over it. In this case, they flipped the switch to make sure it was running (new outlets installed by electricians) and immediately reached for the opening to see if it was pulling air in.

Believe me, it's one of the most terrifying things you will ever witness.

The good news is, they'll only do it once... at least with the same hand anyway. :eek:

Keith Winter
12-15-2015, 8:55 PM
Keith,

Is this just used for the laser or does it serve other devices? I have 3 blowers around the garage serving a CNC, a wood lathe, and the laser. The laser is clean as a whistle so far. The woodlathe has little in it as well, mostly because I only use it when sanding, not while using gouges and whatnot. It is the CNC that seems to generate the most clogging stuff. Fortunately, I setup each with an easily reachable primary grate so I can check those quickly. And the laser blower is under the house and I have a transparent tube on it so I can see if there is buildup inside the house along its length. I also put cam clamps on each of the hoses that connect to the large grate you show. That way I can disconnect quickly to clean when desired, instead of having to fuss with a standard hose clamp.

Dave.

It's connected to three lasers so three times the dirt. I do a fair bit of cutting and wood engraving. What's curious is why it sticks to it so much instead of just flowing through?

Looks like the tissue or piece of paper was a starting point in the clog then it got worse around it.

My blower is mounted to the ground the Intake is on the side and the exhaust faces up. For easy maintenance do you put some semi ridged pipe in the first foot on both ends or what do you recommend? I have ridged pipe on all ends now for the best air flow, but it's very hard to get to and clean right now with all the rigid pipe.

Dave Sheldrake
12-15-2015, 9:54 PM
pull it out and jetwash buddy :)

Rich Harman
12-15-2015, 10:30 PM

I was about to say the same thing...

Scott Shepherd
12-15-2015, 10:56 PM
What's curious is why it sticks to it so much instead of just flowing through?

I think sap is the culprit there.

David Somers
12-15-2015, 11:01 PM
Pressure washing will certainly work for the grate. Hot water and a stiff bristle Brush might do fine too. That grate/grid is only held in with 4 screws so it is easy to pull out. A length of clear hose will help you see if you have issues forming in the beginning of the main hose lengths. To clean the main length of hose, the rigid stuff, you might find a suitably sized chimney brush. You can shove that up and down the length of the house and clean it like you would a Chimney pipe. Watch Mary Poppins if you need to refresh your chimney sweeping dance moves! Singing helps too! <grin>

Step in time, step in time
Step in time, step in time
Never need a reason,
Never need a rhyme
Step in time, you step in time!

Dave

Kev Williams
12-16-2015, 12:11 AM
Squirrel-cage blowers with radial-edged blades are prone to collecting crud too under the blade lip. I've yet to take one of my HF blowers apart to clean the blades, although I'm sure they need it! I HAVE pulled more than one furnace blower out and power washed the cage, and the increased airflow is always noticeable...

Roger Lueck
12-17-2015, 9:21 PM
I built a sheet metal filter box just outside the laser cabinet that holds a 12" x 20" furnace filter. I use inexpensive filters ($2.00 each on the internet) to catch the larger particles. Final discharge of the exhaust is outside, I clean the line twice a year with a chimney brush and shop vacuum. I check the filter every day, however, because of the large surface area of the filter (12 x 20) relative to the duct size I only need to change the filter every 2 -3 weeks.

Bill Reibelt
12-18-2015, 12:09 AM
I cut a lot of MDF and removed the grate as well, vast improvement to the air flow. I am the only one to clean the area so I consider it safe.