PDA

View Full Version : Mirka 6" Deros 2.5mm orbit vs. Festool ETS EC 150/3

James Zhu
12-15-2015, 12:57 PM
I am thinking to buy a finish sander, either Mirka Deros or Festool ETS EC (Festool will have another price hike in Canada in Jan 2016 :(, obviously because of the sinking Canadian dollar). I have Rotex 150. I know both are very good sanders, price wise, same in Canada.

Some people mentioned that 5" and 6" pads are not interchangeable on Mirka Deros sold in USA and Canada, that is not completely true. I just got response from Mirka Canada. They told me that I could buy a 5" pad (part # 915GV28-130g http://www.mirka.com/accessories/Backing-Pads1/#/8292502511/Backing%20Pad%20Net%20125mm%205/16%22%20Grip%2028H%20130g%20Medium) to turn 6" Deros into a 5", and pad is balanced to run on 6" Deros. They do not have a pad to do the opposite (turn 5" to 6").

Regard Festool ETS EC 150, a guy on Festool Forum modified the 5" pad (trim some rubber to fit the spindle of ETS EC 150), so he turns his 150 to 125, brake still works, he also uses hole punch to make the Mirka pad saver's hole match Festool ETS EC back pad, so Mirka Abranet works perfectly on Festool ETS EC.

I would like to hear your opinions. What you like and dislike for these two sanders.

James

John Schweikert
12-15-2015, 2:13 PM
You'll get a lot of info on the Festool owners group forum. Lots of good info there, and it's not all swayed towards the Festool. I have the 6" Ceros and it's been superb. Having held the Festool ETS EC 150 in store, I find it's heavier and not as well balanced in my hand as the Ceros, but cannot compare to the Deros.

To be completely honest, my Ceros was $500 which I thought was very expensive. Now the Deros is $600 in the U.S. which I think is silly expensive for a sander. I'll gladly use my Ceros until it dies.

John TenEyck
12-15-2015, 3:46 PM
Or you could buy the Bosch ROS65VSK for around $275 complete with both a 5" and 6" pad and case. Love mine. Just sayin'.

John

Biff Phillips
12-15-2015, 4:22 PM
I have a Ceros. I like it a lot better than the festool sander I had.
Less vibration, lighter... It makes sanding fun and it is very fast too.

Max Neu
12-15-2015, 5:35 PM
I have a 6" deros ,and my festool has not been used since I got it.The Deros is just better in every way(except price).

mreza Salav
12-15-2015, 5:55 PM
Have the Festool but if i was on the market again and money wasn't the issue would get the Mirka. It's better.

peter gagliardi
12-16-2015, 9:31 AM
Tried both the Deros 6" and the Festool 6" ETS EC side by side- as in one in left hand, one in right for a couple days. I sent the Deros back.

The ETS EC is a complete game changer to those guys who say the Mirka is more ergonomic. I think they are comparing to the old style tall ETS or the Rotex.

The Festool is- less expensive, more powerful, and has considerably less vibration!

I really didn't care for the paddle style switch or buttons on the Mirka at all. Too much complication for what should be a simple machine.

Don't get me wrong, the Mirka is a good machine, but I think Festool did their homework, and is out to eat Mirka's lunch on this one.

You should try them side by side, as I did, I would be surprised if you picked the Mirka.

mreza Salav
12-16-2015, 11:10 AM
sorry I missed you are comparing the new Festool, I have no experience with that (I have the older ETS). So I retract my comment.

Max Neu
12-16-2015, 11:24 AM
I missed that too,I have never tried the new Festool sander,I was referring to the old one also.

Denis Kenzior
12-16-2015, 12:14 PM
I played with the new EC for a little bit. I found it bulkier and less comfortable for my hands than my CEROS. My hands are on the small side, so YMMV.

Bill Adamsen
12-17-2015, 8:43 AM
I've been using the EC150/3 for several months now - primarily for pre-finish sanding (120-220 grit), but also for polishing - and I'm very happy with it. Going from a Dyna with the paddle (or Mirka, with which I have no experience) to the Festool with the paddle switch on front has not been difficult at all. I love the convenience of the connection with the vacuum and the "auto" feature. I'm not wild about the price of the consumables. I also don't quite understand why they couldn't use the same pads as the Rotex ... but no matter. So I can't really give you a comparison, but can say that the Festool EC150/3 is a very nicely designed and functioning tool.

peter gagliardi
12-17-2015, 9:14 AM
Bill, are you using the new style Festool- the brushless DC unit? Or the older, taller style unit?

I haven't looked closely yet to see that the pads are the same or different between my ETS EC and my Rotex, but if they aren't interchangeable, Festool really missed the boat on that front.

For paper, I gave up on Festool brand years ago. I buy Klingspor now - they make exact fit for Festool hole pattern as well.
I get mine thru Select Machinery. Last I knew, it was about a 25-50% savings over Festool brand. Cuts better, and lasts longer.

Bill Adamsen
12-17-2015, 9:30 AM
Bill, are you using the new style Festool- the brushless DC unit? Or the older, taller style unit?

I haven't looked closely yet to see that the pads are the same or different between my ETS EC and my Rotex, but if they aren't interchangeable, Festool really missed the boat on that front.

For paper, I gave up on Festool brand years ago. I buy Klingspor now - they make exact fit for Festool hole pattern as well.
I get mine thru Select Machinery. Last I knew, it was about a 25-50% savings over Festool brand. Cuts better, and lasts longer.

The relatively recently released EC brushless with a 3mm orbit. I was surprised when I bought the unit thinking I could use the 150mm pads for the Rotex but that's not the case (unless I missed something). So I purchased a selection of the new "bolt on" pads. As I said, I'm very happy with the unit. I love how it feels and how flat it sands. I know that sounds ridiculous but it really gives a superior sanding job.

Good to know about the Klingspor. I will check that out and test them. The Festool abrasives are very good quality but the initial cost is very high.

casey herring
12-17-2015, 9:52 PM
I have the Deros 6" and ETS EC 125 as well as Bosch ROS 65VSK. Honestly for finish sander its a tie for me between Deros and Bosch, maybe a slight not to the Bosch for comfort. ETS is a bit bulky and average to me (completely subjective)