PDA

View Full Version : No rebar needed and other lessons

David Utterback
12-15-2015, 9:22 AM
The PM 3520A is now operational in my basement shop. Thanks for all your input to make the move as easy as possible. My son and I needed only a couple of hours to transfer all the parts and I was able to complete assembling the lathe that day. I completely agree that placing any metal bar through the headset is not only inadvisable but also unnecessary. We also attached a single leg and then flipped it onto the stand I had made. That may have been a little easier than attaching both legs prior to setting it upright.

After reading the manual (which I found at Mustardmonster) and replacing the electric plug, I powered it on. Uh-oh!!! The headstock was making a clicking noise. I opened it up and checked the various pieces for play. It turned out that the drive pulley was loose on the shaft. After a couple of attempts, I was able to get the set screws secured and the noise is gone. I am a little concerned that the key slides easily in the slot although it is firmly in place with the set screw. The other set screw is also a concern in that it seems a little hard to turn. I will check that out later.

Can't wait to start making some bowls but I have a bunch of decorative boxes to make first as the countdown to Christmas is almost in the single digits.

Thanks again for all your knowledge!
David

Dale Miner
12-15-2015, 6:18 PM
Good going.

If not a member, check out the OVWG.org website and consider becoming a member.

Great group of helpful folk.

Bill Boehme
12-15-2015, 8:16 PM
The setscrew may be hard to turn because it has Loctite to keep it from vibrating loose. If you are concerned about a loose key on the motor shaft, you can buy oversized keystock that is a few micrometers oversized. Sand it with 1500 grit paper until it can be pressed into the keyway with a snug to tight fit. Before pressing it in place verify that it also fits the keyway in the pulley.