PDA

View Full Version : Osage Orange Bowl

Jim Ketron
09-04-2005, 1:52 PM
I have not been posting In a while as Im trying to get some items ready for the show comming up in Oct. I will be posting a few of the ones I have ready to add to what I have already finished.
It had some small hairline cracks on the outside after drying, but they turned away during the finishing of the bowl :D
This was by far the easiest sanding species that I have ever done, it took about 30 Min tops to finish this one baby butt smooth, with no sanding scratches to boot :D
This was my first time turning Osage and using the wire burning method it turned out ok, I think I will try it more of the burning in the future.
I dont think I could have centerd it up any closer im pleased with this part , even on both sides of the bowl.
It measures 7" X 2 7/8" Finish is deft and hand waxed.

Carole Valentine
09-04-2005, 2:03 PM
Ncie job Jim, on all of them! I cannot tell the difference between your Osage and my Mulberry! Both woods look exactly the same to me.

Jim Becker
09-04-2005, 2:07 PM
Beautiful, Jim. Osage Orange has a lot of character and also finishes up very nicely.

Carole, the OO is a lot brighter yellow when you are turning it...almost a discomforting color...than mulberry, but they do look similar. The OO will brown out with oxidation and eposure to UV and sometimes can get a bit muddy, but the grain on Jim's bowl is distinctive enough that this one should look good for a very long time.

Ernie Nyvall
09-04-2005, 3:01 PM
Great job Jim. You did get that centered just right.

Ernie

Dick Parr
09-04-2005, 3:12 PM
That is really nice Jim. Great Job. Osage is fun to turn. :)

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-04-2005, 3:56 PM
Well, I guess I'm reading your posts in reverse order.....................OH................Wellll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!

Osage is interesting to work with. Mine goes in color from bright yellow to the brown I see in yours. That is a great lookin' bowl.

Bruce

Michael Stafford
09-04-2005, 4:15 PM
Very nice bowl Jimbo. I love the dark grooves, they really add interest to the piece. This one will sell in a heartbeat. It looks flawless.

Dominic Greco
09-04-2005, 11:25 PM
Jim,
Very well done! Nice shape and nice use of pyrography to add some pizazz to the bowls outline. I like the round you've turned on the lip as well.

Osage Orange is one of my favorite woods to turn. With exposure to UV, Osage's color does mellows to a very cool looking honey brown. But IMHO that's part of it's charm.

Want to know a neat trick to use when finishing Osage? Dry sand it smooth to about 300 grit. Then wet sand to 600 using a mixture of varnish and mineral spirits. Remember to wipe the excess swart (liquid mixed with fine sawdust) with a mineral spirit soaked rag between grits. The remaining slurry fills the open pores and creates an ultra smooth surface. After you're finished sanding, burnish with a piece of paper shopping bag (a part without the supermarket's name in ink on it!). This acts like 2500 grit sandpaper. Wipe it off one more time with some you minerals spirit soaked rag, and allow it to dry for a couple days. Add your finish of choice (I see you like Deft) and allow that to dry/harden. Buff with white diamond and give it a coat of Renaissance Wax. You end up with a super smooth, semi gloss finish that is awesome.

Jim Ketron
09-05-2005, 12:50 AM
Thanks For the nice comments all
nice tips Dom I will try that on the next one.

Earl Eyre
09-05-2005, 1:03 AM
I like all of the bowls you have posted. I will take any off your hands! But I think I like this the best because of the unique wood. And the two accent lines set it off perfectly.
Earl

Takeshi Uchida
09-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Beautiful design and grain. I really like it.
I'm a novice and learn much from your project. Thanks.

(I have no knowledge of Osage Orange but it looks like Japanese mulberry.)

Dominic Greco
09-06-2005, 8:15 PM
Beautiful design and grain. I really like it.
I'm a novice and learn much from your project. Thanks.

(I have no knowledge of Osage Orange but it looks like Japanese mulberry.)

Osage Orange and the Mulberry (at least the ones here in America) are from the same "family". Both are very rot resistant, have similar hardness characteristics, and have the same tendency to darken from yellow to honey brown when exposed to UV.

Takeshi Uchida
09-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Thank you Dam.

I learned about Osage Orange in internet. The lamber looks similar
but the fruit is very different. and no Osage Orange in Asia. :confused:
I think the Mulberry what I got is Black Mulberry.
It may looks darker than Osage orange.
This is small Chenese style potpourri pot and puff case I made with Mulberry

Ernie Nyvall
09-07-2005, 8:04 PM
Thank you Dam.

I learned about Osage Orange in internet. The lamber looks similar
but the fruit is very different. and no Osage Orange in Asia. :confused:
I think the Mulberry what I got is Black Mulberry.
It may looks darker than Osage orange.
This is small Chenese style potpourri pot and puff case I made with Mulberry
Takeshi, WOW, you should post more of your work. Very very nice. I'd like to know how you did the one with the legs. Just beautiful.

Ernie

Chris Barton
09-07-2005, 8:51 PM
Great looking bowl Jim! I have wondered about OO since it is so common around here but, like most OO what I typically see around here grew up in a fence row and I have been a little reluctant because of the possibility of fencing material buried inside. Now I know I will have to give it a try. Best of luck at the show!

Mark Cothren
09-08-2005, 9:30 AM
Jim, this is a great bowl. I also think the lines really make this bowl something extra. Like Mike said, I bet it will sell quick.

Thanks for the picture - and good luck at the show!

Takeshi Uchida
09-10-2005, 9:01 AM
Thank you Ernie. Your kind words encourage me to post my &$%#($' project.:-)
I made the legs with hand tools. not with lathe. I'll post another project with legs with it's process later.