PDA

View Full Version : Shaper vx Router Table

Don Abele
06-09-2003, 10:33 PM
With my most recent move, the table saw bit the big one. Well, with it went my router table (built into the extension on the right).

So in addition to purchasing a new table saw (partially paid for by moving insurance), I need a new router table. This is the exact opportunity I was waiting for to buy the PRL and PC-7518. At a cost of about $550 (plus building the cabinet), that's around the price of most 1 1/2 HP shapers.

So what are your recommendations? Router table or Shaper? And if shaper, which one (and is 1 1/2 enough)? Specific comments are really appreciated.

Thanks,

Be well,

Doc

Jim Becker
06-10-2003, 9:05 AM
This really shouldn't be a cost decision...most hobbiests are best off with a router in a table. The reason is that although some of the shapers have the abilty to accomodate router bits, they spin way too slow for good quality cuts on the smaller profiles. Shapers are really best suited for production work, especially with larger cutters. Most of the folks that I know who bought shapers for their hobbiest woodworking activities have ended up selling them...and that's not a good investment. Those who do use them have them dedicated to raised panels and the like and have a router table for other work.

Kevin Post
06-10-2003, 9:29 AM
Originally posted by Jim Becker
This really shouldn't be a cost decision...most hobbiests are best off with a router in a table. The reason is that although some of the shapers have the abilty to accomodate router bits, they spin way too slow for good quality cuts on the smaller profiles.

I must agree with Jim. I have a Delta 3HP shaper and power feeder that is seldom used. I've used it to make stair parts, moldings, doors, T&G flooring and raised panels. Almost exclusively architectural millwork applications...

I also have a router table which I use more often than the shaper. I find it's better suited for running small items because of the size of cutters used. I like it much better for making rails and stiles for cabinet doors while I use the shaper to make entry doors due to the power and size of cutters required.

I have a router collet for the shaper. However, the shaper's spindle will spin at 10,000 RPM max. which is too slow for most of my router bits.

-Kevin

Ken Salisbury
06-10-2003, 9:33 AM
Originally posted by Jim Becker
Most of the folks that I know who bought shapers for their hobbiest woodworking activities have ended up selling them...and that's not a good investment. Those who do use them have them dedicated to raised panels and the like and have a router table for other work.

That's exactly how I use mine --- a router table is much more versatile for a hobbyist.

Steve Clardy
06-10-2003, 9:59 AM
Being in business requires me to have both shaper and router tables. 1 3hp shaper, 4 routers mounted in tables. 90% of my work I use the router tables. The shaper is usually dedicated for raised door panels. I just can't see spinning a large bit in a router table for this work. Once in a while I use the shaper for maybe a handrail, but do to the fact I have a 12" and also a 18" moulder, these usually get the nod for handrails and molding. Steve