PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying an edge sander

Joe Cowan
12-14-2015, 9:10 AM
Just wondering what brand other folks have and any other recommendations etc.

mreza Salav
12-14-2015, 9:32 AM
Progress is among the ones that gets praised. I'm happy with mine, it's heavy like a tank (very thick metal all around).

Cary Falk
12-14-2015, 10:15 AM
I have the Jet 6x89 oscillating one. Other than the table that looks like it was ground by a 2 year old with a angle grinder it has been fine. If you can believe it, it was the cheapest oscillating one at the time. That was 5 years ago.

Martin Wasner
12-14-2015, 10:20 AM
What's your budget?

I have a Ritter. I want to say it uses a 102" belt and has a 48" platen. For what I paid, it's okay. I think I paid $600 for it used almost ten years ago when there was a glut of used equipment.

I lust after something with a wider belt, longer platen, and oscillation. Whirlwind are okay, if you can find a nice Whitney or something along those lines you'll really have something.

Joe Cowan
12-14-2015, 10:47 AM
What's your budget?

I have a Ritter. I want to say it uses a 102" belt and has a 48" platen. For what I paid, it's okay. I think I paid $600 for it used almost ten years ago when there was a glut of used equipment.

I lust after something with a wider belt, longer platen, and oscillation. Whirlwind are okay, if you can find a nice Whitney or something along those lines you'll really have something.

I am a serious hobbyist that likes nice tools and will pay for them if I feel that is what I need. However, I do not have much more room, and will be looking at it from that standpoint as well. My first choice, right now, is the Jet OES-80CS.

Travis Porter
12-14-2015, 11:52 AM
Before Thanksgiving Home Depot Online had the Delta Oscillating version on sale for under $800. I suspect it is made in the same factory as the Jet. I came within a hair of buying it, and then decided to wait. Kind of wish I got it now.... Have to check if it is back on sale....

David Kumm
12-14-2015, 12:37 PM
For an edge sander to be worth the space, it needs a stout platen and table design. Any movement under pressure with frustrate your life. I'm also in the camp that 48" is as short as I would go although there are many 36" machines out there. Dave

paul cottingham
12-14-2015, 12:42 PM
I have a quick question, if you will indulge me. What exactly do you use an edgesander for? Is it for straightening edges and making them square to the face? I cant wrap my head around it, as i would just use a plane for that.

Ben Rivel
12-14-2015, 12:54 PM
I have a quick question, if you will indulge me. What exactly do you use an edgesander for? Is it for straightening edges and making them square to the face? I cant wrap my head around it, as i would just use a plane for that.
I was always under the impression they were used to clean up poor quality edges after not getting a clean cut from a table or band saw. Couldnt figure any reason beyond that nor one to justify all the space one would take up in my shop.

Mike Hollingsworth
12-14-2015, 1:04 PM
I think all the 6x89 sanders are made on the same block in China.
Oscillation is nice, but not necessary.
Most useful tool in my shop. You won't know how you did without.

John C Bush
12-14-2015, 1:43 PM
I've had the griz 1140 for several years and use it a lot. It's a good value for hobby projects and a contractor friend used it when building cabinets for his own home remodel and found it to work great for his level of work as well. I am considering getting the larger--longer platen-- model with the osc. feature. Stats show it doesn't osc. much but I think it would help with clogging the paper. I use the end roller for contour sanding as well. Check the table lift and lock mechanism when shopping. the Griz has an adj. wheel that makes table adjusting easier than PM and Jet models I've used in the past.

Joe Cowan
12-14-2015, 3:24 PM

I was thinking it would be the ticket for end grain sanding on wider boards that I try to use my 12" disc sander on without much luck. I am doing corner post dovetails on some boxes and drawers, and the post have to be sanded flush, and also box joints that needs to have the tails trimmed down to flush. As far a using a plane, I am in left field as to sharpening and have almost given up on that area of woodworking. It seems, sandpaper is more my comfort zone.

glenn bradley
12-14-2015, 4:36 PM

Squaring of large panels, sanding thin to thick edges up to 5" or so depending on oscillation stroke, fitting drawer boxes, making minor adjustments on materials that don't take to a hand plane, sanding large concaves if equipped with a drum/spindle feature. A lot of other odd-job uses have developed although I wouldn't have bought one for these tasks.

I have the Jet and built an add-on table to make up for their wimpy one. I wish it ran slower but, I find that I wish most sanders ran slower. The dust collection is good. The stroke is pretty short at about 3/4" so the oscillation feature is good but, could be better. I would not bother with one that did not oscillate.

I really wanted a Vega or a larger Grizzly but, couldn't justify the price (and would have had quite a time shoe-horning in the footprint required). Fortunately the Jet footprint is smaller, it goes on sale frequently and is worth about what you pay for it. I paid $800 to my door during a Memorial Day sale at Rockler. Unfortunately if I had known how much I would use it I would have gladly paid the extra for one of the better machines.

Wade Lippman
12-14-2015, 5:04 PM
I have a Grizzly G1531 and am happy with it. I considered the Jet, but have read that the oscillation is too small to be meaningful. (I haven't tried it...) Besides, I didn't expect to use it enough to justify the 65% higher price.

The dust collection is terrible, but I doubt any are all that good.

Joe Cowan
12-14-2015, 6:16 PM
I have a Grizzly G1531 and am happy with it. I considered the Jet, but have read that the oscillation is too small to be meaningful. (I haven't tried it...) Besides, I didn't expect to use it enough to justify the 65% higher price.

I like the fact that the Jet will adjust to lay flat or be at a 90 degree angle to the table. Does the Grizzly do this?

Martin Wasner
12-14-2015, 6:30 PM

We build all of our doors oversized a 1/16" and use the edge sander to bring them to finished size. On overlay they get sanded to a number, on inset we scribe them to the opening so the margins are perfect. That's the main use for us.

Wade Lippman
12-14-2015, 6:42 PM
I like the fact that the Jet will adjust to lay flat or be at a 90 degree angle to the table. Does the Grizzly do this?

Mine does not. The somewhat more expensive floor model does. Or at least it did 2 years ago.

Mike Chalmers
12-14-2015, 6:58 PM
As stated earlier, you will probably use the tool a lot once you have it and understand what it can do. I use it for the usual, end grain and edges, as well as for sanding convex curves. I do not use the contour drum, as I have a full size spindle sander. I also use it to adjust drawer sides to achieve a good fit, and strighten any out of square things may be after glue up. A very useful and effective tool. It does run fast, but using a higher grit will temper this as you get used to it. 150 grit is my go to for minor jobs.

Mike Heidrick
12-14-2015, 7:24 PM
I own a Vega. Made in the USA about 42 miles from heer in Decatur, IL but I bought mine used. Its amazing. Read these specs:

Product Description BELT TENSION ASSEMBLY
A superior idler pulley mechanism makes belt tracking insensitive to belt tension changes. The 5″ Urethane coated steel pulley with heavy sealed bearings provides excellent belt support.
TABLE SUPPORT BRACKET
The main table support brackets allow the table to be tilted up 15 degrees and down 48 degrees by loosening the very secure tee handle. Table also adjusts in and out. Table can be adjusted vertically to provide 4″ bias. No wrenches required. Table adjusts in and out to provide desired clearance from the belt. Table size is 12″ x 48″.
ADJUSTABLE CURVE PLATTEN
(Accessory) It is always a challenge to sand large curves without producing a series of arcs. This accessory solves the problem for a wide range of shapes. The large adjusting knob varies the arc of a curve from flat to about a 12″ radius. Quickly attaches to the rear of the sander and can be used with Accessory Side Table.
OSCILLATING DRIVE
(Accessory) A 1/20 HP 110 volt Gearhead Motor oscillates the idler pulley to provide 1″ belt movement 32 cycles per minute. An electrical disconnect is provided should you want to use it in a non-oscillating mode. Very easy to install on standard unit.
SPECIFICATIONS
Models Available
#71104 Model EBS 6-2 220v 1ph. 2hp
#71105 Model EBS 6-3 220v 3ph. 3hp
Above models include 1 side table with
support brackets, mitre gage, two (2)
adjustable dust pick-ups, and one 8″ x
48″ platten.
Accessories for Above:
#71080 End Table Assembly
~ Fully adjustable for height and tilt. Operates with 5″ diameter idler pulley for sanding inside radius’s.
#71066 Second Side Table
~ Same as standard Front Table. Can be used with the Adjustable Curve Platten or the Rear Flat Platten.
#71102 Adjustable Curve Platten
~ For sanding large radius inside curves. (see description above.)
#71013 Oscillating Drive
~ ‘Bolts on’ to provide 1″ belt excursion for longer belt life and more efficient stock removal. (see description).#71166 Rear Flat Platten 8″ x 48″
~ ‘Bolts on’ to provide a second flat sanding station. Constructed of Hard Maple covered with graphite
impregnated canvas.
Features:
Ideal belt speed – 4000 FPM
Easy belt changes
Warranty – 1 year
Adjustments are top located for easy access
Pedestal design for operator foot room and easy to clean-up.
Tee handles on nearly all adjustments – wrenches not required.
Table – Formica faced & reinforced 1 1/8 MFD Tilts 15 degrees up and 48 degrees down. 4″ bias adjustment.
Motor – American Made 1825 RPM, TEFC. 11/8 shaft, industrial type.
Dust Pickup – Adjustable Hoods (2)
Platten – Surface Ground Steel 8″ x 48″ with graphite coated canvas wear plate.
Drive Pulley – 8″ diameter steel.
Idler Pulley – 5″ Urethane coated steel.
Miter gage 18″
Toggle tension release for fast easy belt change.
Superior idler pulley mechanism makes belt tracking insensitive to belt tension changes.
Weight 475 lbs.

David Kumm
12-14-2015, 8:38 PM
Even the old ones don't oscillate more than about 3/4". Dust collection is always a problem so a lot of cfm is needed.327176 Dave

Dave Zellers
12-14-2015, 9:01 PM
I have the Jet and my experience is the same as others. Can't imagine life without it. Insanely useful. I thought it would be mostly used to perfectly fit inset doors but it gets used all the time. And yes, what I would give to be able to slow it down when needed! But you learn the value of the right grit and a soft touch.

glenn bradley
12-14-2015, 9:16 PM

Just to add some credence to your list of requirements. LOML's brother in law is a pro and runs a couple of G1531's. He does kitchens and sanding lines don't bother him after a ROS and spraying a heavy stain and top coat.

Again, consider what you will use the sander for. A lot of folks use a 6" jointer and will be happy with it for the rest of their lives; I sold mine and upgraded after a few months. Some folks think a 48" platen is too short. I would love a longer platen but, I need room to work too.

Iuse the tilt feature quite a bit but, if you don't need the tilt and you don't need the oscillation to minimize sanding lines you can get a lot of sander for a lot less money. I'm just saying, think about your needs and buy accordingly. Don't go cheap and curse the machine but, don't spend good money that could go towards wood if you don't have the need ;-)

Keith Weber
12-15-2015, 2:11 AM
Just in the last month, I finally purchased my quest edge sander -- an Oakley H6 Oscillating. The thing is built like a tank. It probably weighs a good 1200 lbs. I couldn't be happier with it. If you like nice things, have the room, and can find one at a reasonable price, I'd highly recommend one. On average, the demand seems higher than the supply with those things, so they tend to fetch a premium. Every once in a while, though, you'll see one slip through and go for a cheap price. I usually found those ones after the fact, unfortunately. Dust collection can be an issue with edge sanders -- as someone already mentioned, they kick up a lot of dust.

Paul,

If you cut a curve on a bandsaw, and you want the edge smooth and perpendicular to the face, the edge sander is king at that task. You could get by with a disk sander as an alternative, but cross-grain sanding marks could be an issue. There were so many times over the years where I could have really, really used an edge sander. Once you have one, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

paul cottingham
12-15-2015, 2:35 AM
So essentially used for things i usually do with a block plane or spokeshave? Like cleaning up cut lines and wasting excess wood (ok, i use a scrub for that.)

finally, it makes sense. I think i was struggling because, fundamentally, i think like a neander, and this is a hobby for me.

Martin Wasner
12-15-2015, 7:25 AM
Oakley is the other brand I couldn't think of, thanks Keith.

lawrence dosson
12-15-2015, 9:36 AM
I have the Jet 6x89 oscillating one. Other than the table that looks like it was ground by a 2 year old with a angle grinder it has been fine. If you can believe it, it was the cheapest oscillating one at the time. That was 5 years ago.
Joe this is the one I have and I would buy it again in a heart beat the fit and finish on mine is flawless mine is about two years old
works really well for tons of stuff can not imagine needing a bigger one for most of us hobby woodworkers

Joe Cowan
12-15-2015, 10:04 AM
Joe this is the one I have and I would buy it again in a heart beat the fit and finish on mine is flawless mine is about two years old
works really well for tons of stuff can not imagine needing a bigger one for most of us hobby woodworkers

The only flaw that I found, looking at a Youtube review, was the angle adjustment lever was located such that you could not adjust the angle of the belt sander and see the angle degree dial at the same time. The review was several years old, do you have that issue?

lawrence dosson
12-15-2015, 10:49 PM
Joe
no any time I adjust the angle I do not use the dial I use a tool and measure the actual setting at the belt
adjustable bevel -- small square ETC
I usually only change it from 90 to 45 but have used it on odd angles 95% of the time it is at 90

Mike Heidrick
12-16-2015, 12:31 AM
If you can angle the table across the face of the paper (but still perpendicular) and add oscillation you will use a good portion of the paper and not have sanding lines. You really want your platen long enough to fully square the whole edge of your piece.

eugene thomas
12-16-2015, 7:02 AM
I had a transpower 6 x 89 edge sander that sold and bought the jet 6 x 89. The jet had some features I wanted like the platen and it oscillate. added bonus is they added a scope looking thing that fastens onto the front end of sander that really improves the dust collection compared to my old one... As to how useful, sold my old one and was without for little over a week and when new one arrived had a pile of work waiting for it.

Joe Cowan
12-16-2015, 9:25 AM
I ordered the Jet yesterday. It will be here in two weeks. Thanks for all the advice.

Joe Cowan
01-08-2016, 9:18 AM
Got it yesterday and tried it out. As I expected, the dust collection is poor and it looks like a 9th grader designed the dust port. It actually hits a bolt on the motor as it swings out of the way. Other than that, an excellent machine. Very easy to assemble, and the finish is excellent. I fired it up, and after adjusting the belt, used it. I love the ability to lay the belt down and use it as a flat belt sander, or raise it to 90 degrees and use it as a edge sander. I am running out of space in my shop now!!

glenn bradley
01-08-2016, 9:35 AM
Got it yesterday and tried it out. As I expected, the dust collection is poor and it looks like a 9th grader designed the dust port. It actually hits a bolt on the motor as it swings out of the way. Other than that, an excellent machine. Very easy to assemble, and the finish is excellent. I fired it up, and after adjusting the belt, used it. I love the ability to lay the belt down and use it as a flat belt sander, or raise it to 90 degrees and use it as a edge sander. I am running out of space in my shop now!!

The guard assembly mounting slots are "T" shaped. If you lift the guard up before locking each position the dust port / cover hits less. It took me awhile to automatically lift up on the dust port when I am swinging it out of the way. I do this rarely enough that it isn't an issue but, could be so much better with only a small design change. The table mechanism is also crude. It might have been Bill Huber who rigged up a table raising mechanism for his. Given its price-point I have been very happy with this sander for a number of years. For double the money I paid are there better ones? Yes.

Quinn McCarthy
01-08-2016, 9:40 AM
I have the same sander as Mike on page 2. Vega 6x139. When I bought it it was the only sander I coughd find with movable dust ports. I do a lot of 16' trim on it. The tables is massive too.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

Cary Falk
01-08-2016, 3:49 PM
It might have been Bill Huber who rigged up a table raising mechanism for his. .

It was probably me.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?174596-Jet-oscilating-edge-sander-question&highlight=jet+sanderhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?174596-Jet-oscilating-edge-sander-question&highlight=jet+sander

Joe Cowan
01-08-2016, 4:29 PM
Just used it to square up some 7" wide boards. First thing I learned is the sandpaper wants to pull the board off the mitre gauge and off square. Once I got that figured out it worked well. I have always used a 12" disc sander, but it does not do so good on wider boards. I wonder how many edge sander owners use this for all their end grain sanding? I thought I might get rid of my disc sander as I am running out of room in my shop, but will not until I make sure I will not need it.

Martin Wasner
01-08-2016, 4:37 PM
I've never used an edge sander where I was impressed with the dust collection. I think it's a pretty difficult operation to make super clean.

Jesse Busenitz
01-08-2016, 4:46 PM
I have a Grizz that I modified to hook up a 6" pipe to, and it does a decent job of get the dust. I thought when I got it that I would use it in the horizontal position instead of vertical.... I think that's happened once. And yes it's very handy for end grain etc. I do wish there was a miter slot on the table though. That's one of the few things my 20" disc sander gets used for.

Keith Weber
01-08-2016, 9:02 PM
Jesse,

Are you talking about an edge sander, or a combination sander? I'm not sure how a miter slot would be of much use on an edge sander. You need one on a disc sander so that you can stay perpendicular to the disc while moving left to right (to get a different speed or to utilize a clean part of the sandpaper.) An edge sander usually has a stop which is set at 90° to the belt travel. Moving left to right doesn't do anything constructive (unless your table is not level left to right.) You can just keep the board flush to the stop and feed it into the belt to get a square cut.

Cary Falk
01-08-2016, 9:41 PM
[QUOTE=Keith Weber;2513932]Jesse,

I'm not sure how a miter slot would be of much use on an edge sander. QUOTE]

The jet has a miter gage that you can lock into the miter slot at any angle. Think of it as an adjustable angle stop.

Keith Weber
01-09-2016, 4:09 AM
The jet has a miter gage that you can lock into the miter slot at any angle. Think of it as an adjustable angle stop.

Yeah, I see now that it has one, but I fail to see how it has any purpose whatsoever (other than to weaken the table). It's almost like the Asian copycats saw a slot like that on a shaper, and figured that they should put it on an edge sander as well -- without realizing that its functionality on the shaper does not transfer at all to the edge sander. The belt is moving left to right. What purpose would it serve to move your work piece left and right?

On my Oakley H6, it has a rigid stop on the right side of each side table. It is cast iron and held down by a single bolt, so it can be pivoted and locked down at whatever angle you want. It has the added benefit of not being able to go anywhere, so it doesn't have the potential to launch off the right side of the table like a floating miter. I'd love for somebody to explain to me how the Jet design engineer (aka Chief Copycat) doesn't deserve the tool design dunce of the year award. I see Shopfox did it as well. I'm not sure who copied who.

David Kumm
01-09-2016, 8:33 AM
I replaced the stop on my Oakley with a JDS miter gauge and fence. Use it all the time. Dave328998

Terry Hatfield
01-09-2016, 9:18 AM
Joe, the Jet looks like a nice machine. Congrats on the purchase. I'm sure you'll find tons of uses for it! Use my Grizzly G0512 all the time for wood, metal, plastic, whatever. Amazing how many uses I've found for it. The Grizzly does have a permanent stop on the right of the table. Great for end grain and squaring. I build inset doors for most of my projects and being able to fine tune the fit with the edge sander is super nice. The table wraps around the spindle end which is awesome for curved pieces. Very handy machine. I ran 6" to the 4" factory port. Does a pretty good job.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1639/24088829306_fdacbe0ff1_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CGDxHd)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1661/24032293661_2e830af184_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CBDMCH)

Joe Cowan
01-09-2016, 10:24 AM
I think I will reverse the mitre gauge so that the fence is behind the board, thus helping to control the belt pulling the board away from the fence. In other words, put the fence in first, followed by the mitre bar, opposite of how it usually get installed in the mitre slot.

Joe Cowan
01-09-2016, 2:34 PM
Fence in first did it. I doubt I will ever use my disc sander again.

Dave Zellers
01-09-2016, 3:52 PM
It's just a matter of whether you insert the gauge from the left or the right, is it not?

Steve Welch
01-09-2016, 8:06 PM
I have a General International 6"x108" edge sander, its a great piece of equipment but I wish I had purchased an oscillating model.

Keith Pleas
01-10-2016, 9:50 AM
I guess I'm an outlier then. I had a Grizzly G0512 for a few months and sold it. I was careful to set it up properly, but I found it tended to roundover the leading edge on anything even approaching the end of the platten. There's enough lift with the paper coming around that it tended to float a little bit. And it's trickier than it looks to introduce a large piece completely square to the platten. I ended up taking things that were square and flat to start with and making them less so (though, obviously a bit smoother). Dust collection was mediocre, but not really an issue for me. Anyway, I sold it and got some shop space back.

It's not in the same league in ANY respect, but I use the heck out of my benchtop Ridgid Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander.

glenn bradley
01-10-2016, 10:08 AM
It was probably me.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?174596-Jet-oscilating-edge-sander-question&highlight=jet+sanderhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?174596-Jet-oscilating-edge-sander-question&highlight=jet+sander

Yes! Sorry Cary, you are just the man I was thinking of. Or maybe I should apologize to Bill? :D

glenn bradley
01-10-2016, 10:16 AM
Just used it to square up some 7" wide boards. First thing I learned is the sandpaper wants to pull the board off the mitre gauge and off square.

I made a table/fence to help with larger panels. I find that I leave it on more than off.

329044 . 329045

Joe Cowan
01-10-2016, 10:50 AM
It's just a matter of whether you insert the gauge from the left or the right, is it not?

You are correct. As I am right handed, I usually work from left to right on my disc and now the edge sander.

Keith Weber
01-10-2016, 10:59 AM
I had a Grizzly G0512 for a few months and sold it. I was careful to set it up properly, but I found it tended to roundover the leading edge on anything even approaching the end of the platten. There's enough lift with the paper coming around that it tended to float a little bit. And it's trickier than it looks to introduce a large piece completely square to the platten. I ended up taking things that were square and flat to start with and making them less so (though, obviously a bit smoother).

Sounds like your platen might have been a bit too proud of the rollers, or possibly not enough tension on the belt. If the platen is too far proud of the rollers, the inertia of the fast belt trying to change direction rounding the edge would tend to pull it away from the platen. Having too little tension on the belt would exaggerate that tendency. The platen should positively support the paper rather than push it out.

Keith Pleas
01-10-2016, 11:15 AM
Sounds like your platen might have been a bit too proud of the rollers, or possibly not enough tension on the belt. If the platen is too far proud of the rollers, the inertia of the fast belt trying to change direction rounding the edge would tend to pull it away from the platen. Having too little tension on the belt would exaggerate that tendency. The platen should positively support the paper rather than push it out.
That's indeed a possibility. I played around with the rollers quite a bit, but there's nothing in the manual about making them in-plane with the platten. I just went back and looked at the manual from the Grizzly site - nothing there either, but I think I can see some gib screws in one diagram.

Still...even if I got that paper co-planer to the platten throughout, there's still no controllable way to introduce stock (I think this goes for all edge sanders, happy to be corrected). The operator just pushes it up against the platten in a hopefully orthogonal manner. And then...well, mine wasn't oscillating to help with debris removal, but it's my experience that the leading part of the edge gets sanded a little more aggressively than the trailing part. Not a huge amount, but...a bit. So if you're just taking a couple of high spots off, then OK. But if you're going to sand the entire edge...damn, I just couldn't keep it dead flat. Maybe I have poor technique. :)

David Kumm
01-10-2016, 12:34 PM
It takes a while to develop the touch to not screw up an edge but once you do, you find a use on every project. It is now one of my most used machines. You do need a perpendicular stop so the stock doesn't run into the end of the drum and you get used to putting only light pressure evenly with both hands so the pressure is equal along the face. When you get used to it, every board, cabinet door, or face frame will get a light touch before assembly. Dave