PDA

View Full Version : The future of gas stations.......

Rob Littleton
09-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Is this what we have ahead of us?

Andy Hoyt
09-04-2005, 1:12 PM
How about this one?

Jim Becker
09-04-2005, 8:23 PM
I have another one that is along the same lines. Unfortunately, I can't post it here as the Premium "price" would violate the SMC TOS....

Tony Falotico
09-05-2005, 8:18 PM
How many of you remember back when you pulled into a gas station, guys came out and pumped your gas, checked your oil, your tire pressure, washed the windshield ................. took your money, brought your change, gave you a free glass or savings stamps, all for 19 cents a gallon?

If you needed milk and bread you had to stop at the grocery store!!

Richard Wolf
09-05-2005, 8:48 PM
Tony, I checked your birthday, your not that old!!

Richard

Tony Falotico
09-05-2005, 9:10 PM
Tony, I checked your birthday, your not that old!!

Richard

I vividly remember my mother's 195(?) Ford Crown Victoria, red and white with a red and white interior, with the continental kit on the back........... I think she still had it when we moved from Hempstead to East Northport. Granted I was only 5 at the time, but I do remember !! :) :)

Andy Hoyt
09-05-2005, 10:27 PM
While in high school, I spent time at Charlie Ellis' Sinclair station pumping gas,washing windows, checking..... .... all for 21 cents per. My pay was 35 cents an hour and all the gasoline I wanted. That was 1971.

Lee DeRaud
09-05-2005, 11:02 PM
While in high school, I spent time at Charlie Ellis' Sinclair station pumping gas,washing windows, checking..... .... all for 21 cents per. My pay was 35 cents an hour and all the gasoline I wanted. That was 1971.Minimum wage in 1971 was something like $1.60/hour. What were you doing, drinking the gas?!?:eek:

Frank Hagan
09-06-2005, 2:20 AM
I think with my first job, in the early 70's, the minimum wage was $1.10 or $1.35 ... California had a minimum wage of its own, so it may have been the state minimum.

The lowest I remember paying for gas was about 24.9 cents. Now, I'm paying nearly $3 a gallon, nearly 12 times the price back then. But my pay is quite a bit more than 12 times my pay then, so I can't really complain.

I do remember gas wars, when competing dealers across the street from each other would try to out do each other with price, give aways, and service.

Dennis Peacock
09-06-2005, 9:07 AM
The cheapest gas I remember buying was 19.9¢ per gallon.

Now....like Frank...gas has gone up a LOT since then.

Now....unlike Frank...my salary has NOT gone up 12 times more than my first real paying job. :eek: :rolleyes:
If my pay went up like the gas prices have? I would be out of debt today.!!! :D

Rob Bourgeois
09-06-2005, 10:12 AM
I bought gas 2 years ago at 30 cents a gallon...I happened to be in Venezuala so I am sure that doesnt count. ;)

Tony Falotico
09-06-2005, 12:43 PM
The cheapest gas I remember buying was 19.9¢ per gallon.

There was a Hess Station, Sonoco and an independent on or near the corner of A1A Alt and Northlake Blvd in Lake Park, Florida who use to price war all the time. Gas was going at 19.9 back then, they were usually at 17.9, sometimes as low as 15.9. A VW bug had an 8 gallon tank, and got 30-35 mpg, do the math !! :D :D :D

When LOML & I got married, our first set of drinking glasses came from the Sonoco Station, one glass each fill up !!

Those were the days ......... :cool: :cool: Anyone know of a good travel agent who can book a trip for me back to 1969 ????

I'm rambling, but I was in a meeting a couple weeks back and a young engineer noticed my college class ring and said he graduated from the same school. I asked what year he graduated, then I told him what year I graduated. He replied with "Wow, that's the year I was born !!" ------- The little smart... !!

David Fried
09-06-2005, 1:11 PM
I remember when I was six or seven, my mother pulling into a station, in a Buick the size my house, handing the attendent two dollars and saying "Fill it". Can't imagine what the price per gallon was!

Michael Gabbay
09-06-2005, 7:39 PM
I still have the steak knives from Texaco!

Also back then you could actually see the engine block.

Today we are lucky to have water (let alone soapy water) in the windshield washer bucket.
Mike