PDA

View Full Version : LV Router Plane Blades Snapping

Adam Stevens2
12-13-2015, 10:32 PM
Has anyone else had a router plane blade snap at the base of the post before? I was using it this evening and one of the blades twisted a little bit and then basically sheared off. I was fairly surprised to say the least, but perhaps this is something that has happened to someone else and there is something I can do to avoid that happening again.

Derek Cohen
12-13-2015, 10:38 PM
Bizarre. I assume you were working wood and not using it to lift nails or open paint cans?! Contact Lee Valley Customer Service for a replacement.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Adam Stevens2
12-13-2015, 10:50 PM
Indeed, and it is radiata pine that I am working with too, not exactly renowned for being hard on blades. I'm hoping that the blade hasn't somehow become corroded and that's caused it to break.

Phil Mueller
12-14-2015, 7:26 AM
Haven't had that happen either. What actually broke...the blade itself, the mounting screw, the shaft the blade attaches to?

Nicholas Lawrence
12-14-2015, 7:40 AM
I broke one of the old Stanley blades when I first started using hand tools. I was working in pine, and trying to work around a knot. It was one of the "V" blades, and I simply did not realize at the time how hard a pine knot can be.

glenn bradley
12-14-2015, 8:29 AM
I agree this is a defect issue. I'm sure Rob will take care of you if you give them a call. I'm only 5'-10" @ 180 but, I do work the tool pretty hard with no issues.

Jim Koepke
12-14-2015, 12:42 PM
Adam,

Pictures always help tell such an event.

Also as long as you were not trying to get in the Guinness book of records about how thick a shaving you can take, it sounds like a customer service call should remedy your situation.

jtk

kent leben
12-14-2015, 3:35 PM
I had a 1/2" blade snap in two as I saw screwing it onto the sharpening jig - probably my fault for getting a little carried away screwing it down. I emailed LV to let them know about it I received a replacement in the mail in a couple days.

Adam Stevens2
12-14-2015, 8:08 PM
Haven't had that happen either. What actually broke...the blade itself, the mounting screw, the shaft the blade attaches to?

The blade itself broke, at the point where it attaches to the shaft. It seems to have sheared off around the small screw there.

Shout-out to Rob Lee for offering to replace the blade, much appreciated.

john zulu
12-15-2015, 1:52 AM
If I rmb correctly the blades are made in Taiwan. But nevertheless LV will do good on their stuff.

Phil Mueller
12-15-2015, 7:30 AM
Good to hear it's getting replaced. I've been pretty aggressive with my router plane at times and have not experienced any problems. There's a cost for great customer service and IMHO it's worth every penny.