PDA

View Full Version : Going to the Dark Side...

Chris Barton
09-04-2005, 9:19 AM
So, lately I have been thinking about attending some craft fairs and selling some of my wares since I get continual requests for such. But, while I am well trained in medicine and science I haven't a clue about how to go about this. So, again I am reaching out the the many brothers and sisters we have sharing this forum for your suggestions and advice. Here are a few questions:

1. Which pens sell the best, inculding the decission between gold or silver/chrome finish?

2. How many of each style is reasonable to stock prior to a weekend flea market type of event?

3. I am asked to make wine topper very often and believe they will be popular, about how many would you think should be ready for such an event.

4. What other items are most popular sellers?

5. Do you take a mini lathe with you and turn while at the event? It seems to me that would bring a lot of attention and likely sales as well and it keeps you productive while you are maning the both.

6. Speaking of boths, what do events usually charge for an indoor booth with electrical outlets?

I am sure there are plenty of additional questions I should be asking but, I am too dumb to know what they are yet. That's why I am appealing to the good folks of the SMC how have done this sort of thing before...

Thanks!

Chris

Ernie Nyvall
09-04-2005, 9:28 AM
Good questions Chris. I can't wait for the answers. That mini lathe thing sounds like a great idea though.

Ernie

Charles E. Martin V
09-04-2005, 9:49 AM
1. Which pens sell the best, inculding the decission between gold or silver/chrome finish?
It all depends on the group, bring plenty of both.

2. How many of each style is reasonable to stock prior to a weekend flea market type of event?
There is no reasonable limit, bring as much as you can, just don't put it all out for display

3. I am asked to make wine topper very often and believe they will be popular, about how many would you think should be ready for such an event.
As many as you can get done between now and then.

4. What other items are most popular sellers?
Area dependent, so I don't know.

5. Do you take a mini lathe with you and turn while at the event? It seems to me that would bring a lot of attention and likely sales as well and it keeps you productive while you are maning the both.
This can be good and very, very bad. Yes, it will draw attention. People will crowd around your booth to see what's up. However, if people see how quickly you can finish something they may not feel that they should pay what your asking, since "It only took you 5 minutes to turn that, why should I pay $20". You may want to limit yourself to goblets or bowls, or whatever else you aren't currently selling in your booth.

6. Speaking of boths, what do events usually charge for an indoor booth with electrical outlets?
I've paid anywhere between $40 and $250 depending on the venue, but it can go much, much higher than that. I heard of percentage of sales arrangements also.

Chris Barton
09-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks Charles,

If anyone has any actual numerical targets they try to hit (i.e. 100 slimelines, 100 cigar pens, 100 euros, 50 wine toppers, etc...) please do share that insight. I am trying to learn from other what is should concentrate on because I don't want to waste my time turning a gross of 144 cigar pens only to find that they are not as popular as say a slimline. My own experience has shown me that women like slimer pens and men like larger pens but, actual knowlegde is what I seek.

I had already antiscipated that it would be a mistake to be in production turning mode if I brought a lathe with me. Charles' point is well taken so the aim would be to be turning what I will be selling but, in slow motion. When I turn pens and such in my shop I do so in production line fashion. My plan with an on site lathe would be to have some blanks prepared and take lots of time turning the pieces with the idea that it would attract attention and that I may have some individuals that would like to see their item turned before their eyes, nice and slow.

So, lets hear from the likes of the Ed Davidson's out there (come on Ed) and share your hard earned wisedom!

Thanks,

Andy Hoyt
09-04-2005, 11:56 AM
I'd be careful about turning at a craft fair. Make sure the promoter allows it. You might have liability issues to consider should a rubbernecker get too close or something goes flying off the lathe. Special insurance rider? Big plexiglass shield. If you do turn, be sure to have a helper there to assist with questions so you don't lose focus while the piece is spinning.

Blake McCully
09-06-2005, 10:55 AM
If anyone has any actual numerical targets they try to hit (i.e. 100 slimelines, 100 cigar pens, 100 euros, 50 wine toppers, etc...) please do share that insight.

Yow, Chris, 100 slimlines, 100 cigar pens. That's a bunch. LOML and I are about ready to head out to an art fair in NW PA. We sell and make around 15 or 20 styles of pens. We made sure that we have 8, that's right eight, of each. Figure that 20 times 8 is 160, that's a bunch of pens.

We've done craft shows for about 8 months, and because of the terrible results we have had, we are limiting ourselves to primarily art fairs. The customers at the craft shows that we have been to are looking for "flea market" prices. I had one lookey-loo who handled everything, did sample writing, then asked, "Do you have anything for a dollar?" Sheesh.

We sell our pens and other things out of our home as well, and one thing we have learned, is to not compromise on the price. As to what is the most popular seller, in our experience, it is the detachable key ring that we get from Berea. However, anyone going in that direction would be better served to get them from CSUSA. The ones from Berea have a screw that you tighten in the removable(?) part. We've had a lot of problem with them coming apart. The rings that CSUSA have do not have the screw part, they seem more solid and the prices are comparable.

What ever you decide, have fun. Do not be surprised if it takes a number of shows to actually make some money. Also, talk with the other vendors, check out their displays, get ideas of where to go, etc. We try to scope out the fairs that we are considering, and as one fella told us; ask the vendors if they are repeats for that particular show, or are they first timers. If there are more first timers than repeaters at a show, that may be one to avoid.

Good luck.

Chris Barton
09-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Hi Blake,

Thanks so much for posting you reply. This was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I had been hoping that someone that had actually tried the concept would reply. Your comments about the numbers of items is very helpful.

I am sure I am no different than any of our friends here at SMC when I reflect on how many comments and complements I receive on some of my turned projects and of course, everyone says "you should be selling these!" However, my limited offers to sell upon the request of a friend has almost always been met with some sort of push back over price. I have sold some wine toppers and pens and am absolutely firm on price (always 10 times my materials costs). So, that means a slimline goes for about $17, a cigar pen about $30, and wine toppers about $25. I can't agree more about being firm on pricing.

The only "flea market" type venue I would even consider in my area is the monthly Nashville flea market, which is more and arts and crafts fair than flea market. I have attended this show many times and craft products seem to do very well. I may yet give it a try...

Thanks Again!

Gary Max
09-06-2005, 5:27 PM
Chris----you live in the right place.
Nashville fairgrounds----3rd weekend every month.
They have vendors from all over come to it.
They also have a web site---it's listed under the Fairgrounds site
Go check it out.
I wish it was not so far---heck I would love to do that show.

Chris Barton
09-06-2005, 7:10 PM
Hey Ya Gary,

Thanks for the words. I agree, the Nashville Flea Market is a great venue. If I end up giving this a go I will report on my outcomes here at SMC. In the mean time, take care of that giant 4224 and I look to visit the next time I am up your way!

Chris

Gary Max
09-06-2005, 7:17 PM
Chris ---we would enjoy having you folks stop by.
I am working on 100 bowls for this fall show season---I think I am up over 80 now.
We are doing a BIG show the 24 & 25 of this month.
Oh I just thought of something-----I will send you a PM.

Blake McCully
09-07-2005, 8:11 PM
I am working on 100 bowls for this fall show season---I think I am up over 80 now.
We are doing a BIG show the 24 & 25 of this month.
Gary,
Sounds like you've been doing this a while. How many bowls, etc. do you usually sell at a show? Also, what kind of shows do you do. We had some really terrible experiences and we got some good advice from a number of 'creekers, including Bill G. As Bill says, we don't do anything now that does not have the word "Art" in it, even that's not a clincher. We also never do any show that is not juried, and we try to look for shows that charge admission, the idea being that the customer is more likely to part with money if they have to pay to get in, although there are many really large shows out there that do not charge admission.

I get updates from this web site called Louis Crafter list, or something like that and have notice a lot of great shows.

I'd be interested in any advice you might have. LOML and I are planning to hit the circuit pretty hard next year since we are both retired and have the time to creat stock and to travel.

Gary Max
09-07-2005, 8:31 PM
Chris---I hope that it alright to hijack your tread and answer Blakes question.

You never know what people are going to buy---heck it will change from day to day.
I have been building Cedar furniture for years--we ran a test market last fall on the bowls and the responce was good. Plus the bowls are a whole lot easier to carry around than a 400lb table. The old back ain't what it used to be.
Bill is right about ---ART---I get calls all the time from folks wanting me to do thier shows for free---it's a waste of time. You have to go where people spend money not where they are going for a walk.
We have added two more shows to our fall line up. Hopefully this will be a good year.
You need to start working on your shows for next year NOW. The better shows are hard to get into. One show we do has a five year waiting list. Of course it is the best MONEY show we do.

Blake McCully
09-08-2005, 9:55 AM
Gary,
You're absolutely right. We are setting up some shows. We don't want to do more than 5 or so big shows a year. Our main goal is to pay for our venture plus a bit of capital to keep things running.

Chris, as Gary says we don't want to hijack your thread, but I feel that this info is helpful to anyone interested in hitting the road, as it were :)

Chris Barton
09-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Hi Gary and Blake,

I don't mind one bit, in fact, this is exactly what I had hoped for. The information is the same and just as applicable be it about bowls or pens or whatever. I think there are many of us who may be a little delusional and this we could go out and may a boat load of dough selling our wares when in reality actually doing so is much different than what we think!

Anthony Yakonick
09-08-2005, 2:32 PM
Scout your shows and check the competition, you may already have a few folks selling pens in your area. I've been doing shows for 12 years now, early on Mr. Grumbine showed me the economic advantage of adding pens to my line and for a while I was the only one at my shows selling pens and turnings in general. Now with all the mini lathes being sold it seems like every "flat woodworker" has added pens to their line so I stopped doing pens. I know when Bill started selling pens on the internet if you Googled "wood pens" you came up with Bill and a few other people, now try it, two million+.
I'm not trying to rain on your parade just trying to point out the pitfalls before you spend the time and money producing a few hundred pens.
Booth fees, my booth fees run $100+ per day and I expect to see 10x that in sales.
Anthony
You have a pm

Glenn Hodges
09-09-2005, 6:41 AM
Another thought about turning at a show other than the liability issue is that a lot of people like to be entertained and will stop by to look and see what you are doing and not buy. Your primary purpose is to sell your product at a show. You will need another person to help you at the show while you are turning. These look-sees (a lot of kids) usually get in the way of buying customers. I have been asked to demo at a show, and was offered a free exhibit fee. I declined the offer because after talking to other turners that have tried it, they said never again. Try it if you want, and let us know what you think.