PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Stanley Irons

ken hatch
12-13-2015, 2:24 PM
I received a couple of Tsunesaburo Blue Steel replacement blades for my Western planes from Stu. The first one at least, I don't know about the second yet, came with a very flat back. I spent maybe 5 minutes on the back and much less than that on the bevel. It was a perfect fit in the LN #4 and made beautiful shavings with little effort.

Stu just carries the irons in two sizes 50mm and 60mm, it would be nice if they came in #3 and #8 size. I guess I'll send Stu an email to see if more sizes are available

ken.

Allan Speers
12-13-2015, 2:43 PM
I'd love to get feedback on these.

I need a couple of replacement blades @ 2 3/8" and was about to order PM-V11. I had forgotten about these Japanese blades. I like the idea of a laminated blade, but of all the available replacements (LV, Hotley, Clifton, LN, Paul Williams, etc) those Japanese replacement blades are the thinnest, at only 0.086" / 2.2 mm. If I'm spending that kind of money, I'd prefer to get a little more beef, even if it meant modifying my planes slightly.

So, I'd like to know from users if these blades still chatter in difficult situations. Would "just" using a heavier chipbreaker (like the Veritas) compensate enough?

Brian Holcombe
12-13-2015, 3:32 PM
If you guys need one that fits a #7 let me know, I have one and dont use it.