PDA

View Full Version : what glue or epoxy?

Doug Kircher
12-13-2015, 12:11 PM
I have a project I have been working on. It is consisting of Multiple layers of 1/8" Baltic Birch plywood. Actually, this one has 8 layers stack on each other. these is no but ends or corners, it is not a door frame or furniture. They are personalized Art pieces. They will be hung on a wall. What I started doing was put one layer on top of the lower layer as a stencil for applying the stain, that worked pretty good, until I got to the second from top layer. I plan on doing the same thing when applying the polyacrylic (satin) on it. since that does not bleed like the stain, I think I'll be good. I know wood glue will not bond as good as it should, but will it bond well enough, or should I consider an apoxy of some sort? will post a picture of the bare project in a few.

Doug Kircher
12-13-2015, 12:22 PM

here is a picture of the bare project.

Warren Wilson
12-13-2015, 12:53 PM
Nothing to ad - but I love the work.

Jamie Buxton
12-13-2015, 2:09 PM
Yeow! That's quite something!

Either the usual wood glue or epoxy would serve to bond the layers together well enough to hang on the wall. The big issue, I think, will be squeeze-out -- excess glue squeezing out where you intend, and dribbling out in sight. For one, the squeeze-out will interfere with the clean lines of the work, and for two, it will interfere with stain. I might try turning the work over, and applying cyanoacrylate (aka CA glue, aka Super Glue) carefully with a sharp tip, and expecting it to wick into the joint area. If you don't over-do it, it won't squirt out the other side into view.

Doug Kircher
12-13-2015, 2:12 PM
I was at Woodworkers source and saw they had syringes for applying glue. was thinking that maybe this would work for applying small then lines of glue.

Jim Finn
12-13-2015, 2:34 PM
I do not use stain but I have noticed that squeeze-out of wood glue will show up when clear finish is applied. I found that when I use "Titebond Hide Glue" that any squeeze-out does not show up under clear finish. I do not know how it will react to stain. This glue may be worth a try.

Michelle Rich
12-13-2015, 2:51 PM
wow! fascinating!

Peter Quinn
12-13-2015, 7:27 PM
This sounds like a job for Nexabond. So neither of the above. Nexabond is basically a CA (super glue) engineered to work more specifically for wood working. Check it out. Strong, quick, minimal squeeze, should stick to finish but shouldn't interfere with additional finish. Lots of properties that speak positively to that sort of work. Thats quite beautiful.