PDA

View Full Version : New Jigsaw Purchase

Michael Zerance
12-13-2015, 11:24 AM
I am purging all of my 18v DeWalt tools and upgrading them to 20v. I am not happy with the performance of the 18v jigsaw. The blade wanders and never cuts square. Also, the blade slides off the guide when I back out of a cut slightly to readjust the cut line when cutting curves. I am concerned that the 20v will suffer from the same drawbacks.

The other one I am looking at is the Bosch JS572EL for about $260.

I mostly use the jigsaw for rough cutting, so it is not that big of a deal; however, if I am going to drop a couple hundred for a new one, I figure I will at least consider the alternatives.

Any thoughts?

Mike Henderson
12-13-2015, 11:49 AM
I converted from DeWalt 18V to 20V also and bought the 20V DeWalt jigsaw (bare tool). I was also not satisfied with the 18V but like the 20V.

Mike

[In fact, I was so dissatisfied with the 18V that I bought a Festool. But I find that I now use the 20V all the time and sold the Festool.]

jack duren
12-13-2015, 11:55 AM
I use mainly Bosch but have use the 18v Dewalt. I use a Porter Cable for cuts I need near perfect.

I really think the correct blade and usage make the cut, not so much the jigsaw.

I actually think more info on "blades" on this topic would be of more use as it is the last thing you hear about on here. Kinda like scroll saw usage. Its only till they doesn't work correctly do they consider its the blade.

Ben Rivel
12-13-2015, 12:08 PM
Just upgraded my jigsaw to the Bosch JS470E and so far its been awesome. Got the dust collection attachment for it too and that has helped a lot. The JS470E is a very tried and true saw.

Michael Zerance
12-15-2015, 12:34 PM
I converted from DeWalt 18V to 20V also and bought the 20V DeWalt jigsaw (bare tool). I was also not satisfied with the 18V but like the 20V.

Mike

[In fact, I was so dissatisfied with the 18V that I bought a Festool. But I find that I now use the 20V all the time and sold the Festool.]

Thanks for the info; I just ordered the 20V jigsaw.

John Schweikert
12-15-2015, 1:58 PM
I had the JS470E for several years and what bugged me most was that the wood blades I used, Bosch branded and others, were tilted out of 90 degrees resulting in an overcut on the bottom. The end of a cut within wood was not perpendicular most relevant to inside corner cuts and such. Contour cuts had a slight bevel as well at times with thicker stock.

As pointed out earlier, blades are even more important than the tool itself. Some of the Festool wood blades are the sharpest and highest quality I've used to date.

Just upgraded my jigsaw to the Bosch JS470E and so far its been awesome. Got the dust collection attachment for it too and that has helped a lot. The JS470E is a very tried and true saw.

Mike Henderson
12-15-2015, 3:00 PM
Thanks for the info; I just ordered the 20V jigsaw.

I hope you find it to be a good saw and that I haven't steered you wrong. Let me know.

Mike

keith micinski
12-15-2015, 5:08 PM
Sounds like I'm to late but I just bout a rigid that is amazing. Slow start, light, good dust collection, tool-less blade change and a little blower.

Michael Zerance
01-03-2016, 12:10 PM
I hope you find it to be a good saw and that I haven't steered you wrong. Let me know.

I was a little disappointed when I received it and took it out of the box because it looks identical to the 18v version and I assumed that there had been no improvements to it. However, after using it a few times, it seems to work a lot better than the 18v version. Even the tight curved cuts remain relatively square if I don't force it. I think it was a good buy.

Thanks again for the advice.