PDA

View Full Version : Trotec rotary and glass.

Neville Stewart
12-13-2015, 6:40 AM
I'm so impressed with the rotary from Trotec, I think it could handle a full champagne magnum. These glasses take just under 2 minutes so unless I had high multiples of the same I think it's faster than sandblasting. Anyway, if you're thinking of one, I am totally sold on mine. If you're in CTX and you want to check out a Trotec up close, give me a ring.

Mike Null
12-13-2015, 7:23 AM
I'll be ordering the rotary gadget in January. I just turned away a job that would have paid for it.

Rich Kruyer
12-13-2015, 8:03 AM
Did you just order hte tapered cones or did you get the wheels also? I am looking at purchasing one, but can't decide which option to go with. Trotec also has 3 jaw chucks available for these units.

Neville Stewart
12-13-2015, 9:20 AM
It came with the cones. I've used the roller type on a 300 and this type is better in my opinion, very little chance of misalignment and no chance of slipping. I balked when I heard the price initially, but seeing how substantial it is and using it so easily, I don't regret at all.

Jacob John
12-13-2015, 10:36 AM
I'm so impressed with the rotary from Trotec, I think it could handle a full champagne magnum. These glasses take just under 2 minutes so unless I had high multiples of the same I think it's faster than sandblasting. Anyway, if you're thinking of one, I am totally sold on mine. If you're in CTX and you want to check out a Trotec up close, give me a ring.

I'm definitely buying it worth the new Speedy 300 I'm buying. Can't wait!

Scott Shepherd
12-13-2015, 10:41 AM
There's been a brand new one on ebay for about 6 months now.

Neville Stewart
12-13-2015, 10:57 AM
That guy is a reseller. You can probably get it cheaper from your agent if you're buying a machine.

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
12-13-2015, 1:44 PM
My rotary attachment is still sitting in the crate. Looks kinda intimidating. I'll have to get my nerve up and try it one of these days.

Neville Stewart
12-13-2015, 2:02 PM
It's surprisingly easy. Look on engrave.ca for a tutorial or give me a buzz anytime.

Neville Stewart
12-13-2015, 2:04 PM
Print to mine Mike, I'll handle it for you :)

I'll be ordering the rotary gadget in January. I just turned away a job that would have paid for it.

Kev Williams
12-13-2015, 2:41 PM

I take it the angle of the unit in the pic means the articulation is built-in? If so, I like it! I do that with mine, but it wasn't a 'built-in' feature! I prop up the one end with rolls of tape or whatever, then screw the hole thing down tightly to the table. Not used to seeing the 'business end' of the unit on the RIGHT side of the machine... And, I still think they should offer a 3-jaw chuck. (unless they already do?) -- SO much more useful than just cones...

[QUOTE=Neville Stewart;2502895]These glasses take just under 2 minutes so unless I had high multiples of the same I think it's faster than sandblasting./QUOTE]

I know many of you sandblast, and love it, and I've seen video's of people doing it... But seriously, it just seems WAAAYYYY too labor intensive, and too many steps! Not for me... :)

Keith Winter
12-13-2015, 3:10 PM

Those look really sharp Neville!

Neville Stewart
12-13-2015, 3:10 PM
Adjustment is built in and nothing left to chance Kev. It is set up in reverse to what is usual over here. The thinking is that it was set up to engrave steins and the have a reverse tilt. Simple enough to overcome though. Kinda like driving on the left :)

Jack Clague
12-13-2015, 4:44 PM
Yep i love mine.

I did some nutri bullets on the weekend, although it took some modifications to get them right, also some glass jars

Scott Shepherd
12-13-2015, 5:33 PM
Neville and Jack, those are looking great. Looks like you two have it really dialed in! Nice work.

Art Anderson
12-13-2015, 10:48 PM
Just remember not to hot-patch the rotary to make a connection. Have the engraver powered down when connecting the rotary's cable. Been there, done that, paid for a new board on the rotary......

Art Anderson
Speedy 300 45w

Jack Clague
12-13-2015, 10:54 PM
Just remember not to hot-patch the rotary to make a connection. Have the engraver powered down when connecting the rotary's cable. Been there, done that, paid for a new board on the rotary......

Art Anderson
Speedy 300 45w

Big Yep, I made a small laser engraved plate from Trolase that I stuck on the rotary base to remind me NOT to plug in live

Mayo Pardo
12-14-2015, 3:28 AM
The one currently on Ebay appears to have rollers instead of the cones.
I'm not familiar with them - do they also have the tilt option? It would seem to be more possibility of slipping horizontally when tilted on the rollers - or are the rollers not intended to be used with tapered glassware?

Neville Stewart
12-14-2015, 5:27 AM
Yes there is some tilt available on the 300 version. Being shorter its right at the rollers, they can be elevated about 2 inches or so. Jack Claque, funny I did the same thing. I'm not taking any chances with anything Trotec. ps I bet you could get one for the 300 for about $1200 if you work with your dealer. That eBay one is hardly a great deal.

Jack Clague
12-14-2015, 7:49 PM
Also note that the cones are only rated to 3KG where as the rollers are rated to 10Kg which means if you are engraving heavy round articles that are not curved then the rollers would suit better

I had an order to do some limited edition Nutri Bullets here and they were a PAIN in the royal behind to do on the cones, they weigh allot with the motor in them and this is causing allot of bouncing or movement when the rotary goes between engraving points, I have to do allot to get them to stay still and even then i didn't get the quality i wanted on probably 1 out of 10 units, the rollers may have been a better option but it was a rush order so had to suffice with what i had

Jack Clague
12-15-2015, 9:28 PM
Some more done this week, orders are going nuts for xmas and I've got a wedding to do as well next year... cannot complain really

Jack Clague
12-16-2015, 6:17 AM
Can anyone point me to a thread for photo engraving, I'm struggling like a mad man to get a photo engraved onto a glass and looking good.

Mike Null
12-16-2015, 7:55 AM
Jack

there have been a large number on the forum. Just do a search. Also search "Bill Cunnungham", he's the master and has posted quite a few examples.

Jack Clague
12-16-2015, 5:23 PM
Jack

there have been a large number on the forum. Just do a search. Also search "Bill Cunnungham", he's the master and has posted quite a few examples.

Thanks Mike, I have been trying to search but i must suck at it as all I'm finding is threads on work people have done or questions that don't go over the specifics needed to convert a photo image to the correct format for engraving. I have found a few online guides but was wondering if there was a thread here that detailed the specifics.

Found this today, will see if this helps: http://www.lazerdepot.com/pdf/prep_photos_laser_engraving.pdf

Neville Stewart
12-16-2015, 10:04 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?231944-Photo-Paint-X7-macro-to-process-images-for-laser-engraving

Jack Clague
12-16-2015, 10:46 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?231944-Photo-Paint-X7-macro-to-process-images-for-laser-engraving

thanks Neville, been using that but still struggling, this is new to me so will keep at it :D

Mike Null
12-17-2015, 8:15 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood your post. Try this http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?93559-The-Gold-Method and then search the Gold Method. There are quite a lot of threads on this topic.

Jack Clague
12-17-2015, 5:01 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood your post. Try this http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?93559-The-Gold-Method and then search the Gold Method. There are quite a lot of threads on this topic.

Thanks Mike, I will save that and have a good read