PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Featherboards

Doug Hobkirk
12-13-2015, 12:45 AM
I don't recall seeing many TS featherboards that come down from the top, just the ones that come from the side using the miter slot or magnets. I see them all the time for router tables (I have one on mine).

Are they relatively unusual?
If so, why? It seems like that would add significant safety...

Thanks

Brian Henderson
12-13-2015, 2:02 AM
If you mean fence-mounted featherboards, I have them and I use them all the time.

Kent Adams
12-13-2015, 7:02 AM
Doug, I use these, which work very well for most of my needs:

Mike Null
12-13-2015, 7:12 AM
It depends on what I'm doing. Whenever I use a molding cutter a fence mounted feather board is essential to maintain the depth of cut. Certain dados also require it.

Lee Schierer
12-13-2015, 9:01 AM
I have magnetic feather boards that can also be mounted on my fence. They do indeed make rip cuts much safer.

Doug Hobkirk
12-13-2015, 9:20 AM

After watching the videos, these seem excellent. And their features give me a decent sense of why one featherboard would often not work. This is clearly a better solution.

Thanks

If you mean fence-mounted featherboards, I have them and I use them all the time.

That's what I anticipated, but I found very few images when I Google for "table saw featherboard."

Don Sundberg
12-13-2015, 11:24 AM
I use these. Not as expensive as the Jessem ones but maybe not as nice either.

Ben Rivel
12-13-2015, 12:25 PM
Wow, did not know about the Jessem setup. Dang, that might be on my list now.

EDIT: In fact I just ordered the setup. Infinity Tools has it on sale for $259 free shipping no tax. Wow, didnt expect to spend that much today.

Timothy Shouldice
12-13-2015, 12:35 PM
I have the Jessem guides and did a review here - lumberjocks.com/reviews/6514

Kent Adams
12-13-2015, 2:08 PM
Wow, did not know about the Jessem setup. Dang, that might be on my list now.

EDIT: In fact I just ordered the setup. Infinity Tools has it on sale for $259 free shipping no tax. Wow, didnt expect to spend that much today.

You won't be disappointed. The only "painful" part for me was pre-drilling holes in my fence, but now.....I love them.

Doug Hobkirk
12-13-2015, 6:37 PM
You won't be disappointed. The only "painful" part for me was pre-drilling holes in my fence, but now.....I love them.

You almost sold me! But I think I will try their router set. Woodcraft sells them for $90 (http://www.woodcraft.com/product/158903/jessem-clearcut-precision-stock-guides-jessem-04215.aspx) instead of $250 (http://www.woodcraft.com/product/159902/jessem-clearcut-precision-stock-guides-for-table-saws-jessem-04301.aspx). I already use a wood face on the fence, so I can add a T-track. I think I can live without the built-in guide for optimizing the pressure. And I don't understand why I would often need to have the wheels reaching far away from the fence.

So thanks, Kent.

Timothy Shouldice
12-13-2015, 9:46 PM
You almost sold me! But I think I will try their router set. Woodcraft sells them for $90 (http://www.woodcraft.com/product/158903/jessem-clearcut-precision-stock-guides-jessem-04215.aspx) instead of $250 (http://www.woodcraft.com/product/159902/jessem-clearcut-precision-stock-guides-for-table-saws-jessem-04301.aspx). I already use a wood face on the fence, so I can add a T-track. I think I can live without the built-in guide for optimizing the pressure. And I don't understand why I would often need to have the wheels reaching far away from the fence.

I also have the router set but you will have to slide them right on and off the T-track each time you need to do a cut that doesn't or can't use them. I agree that the wheels don't need to be very far away from the fence but I do appreciate how easy it is to tuck them out of the way when not needed. To me that makes them easily available for the next cut when I can use them. Make something fast and simple and I'll use it. Make it take a few minutes and I'm less likely.

Hoang N Nguyen
12-13-2015, 11:35 PM

I also have this and while it was painful drilling into my sawstop fence, I also love it now that it's on. I use it on almost all my cuts.

I believe the long arm reach is for kick-backs. The further the arm is away from the fence, the more support short of speak it provides if you ever have a kick back. If you're just hanging onto the wood at the every tip then it doesn't have as much holding power.

Just think about holding a piece of wood at the every tip with your finger tips and then try holding it with your hold hand as far in as your hand can hold. Much more sturdy.

Ben Rivel
12-14-2015, 11:06 AM
Ha I used to feel that way, but honestly after dealing a bit with SawStop and knowing that I can order any single part, piece or sticker on my saw by itself makes me not worry about installing things like this. I can always order another tube and replace the one with holes in it if I decided I didnt like the Jessem guides.

Greg Hines, MD
12-14-2015, 11:15 AM
Many table saw fences do not have the capacity to handle a fence mounted feather board, but its simple to add one, which is what I did, and I use them for dados or rabbets for the most part. I use the Bench Dog brand, given that I get them cheap from Woodcraft from time to time, and I have both fence and miter slot versions.

Doc

Mike Ontko
12-14-2015, 11:23 AM
I use a homemade feather board (a 1x6" piece of hemlock, cut at 30-degrees at the feathered end) and will occasionally mount it to my rip fence as a vertical hold down for rabbets. More often though, I'll use it horizontally to make sure smaller pieces are keeping tight to the fence.

Greg Visser
12-14-2015, 2:12 PM
Wouldn't the saw fence have to clamp front and back of the table to use these? I have a Vega fence that doesn't clamp at the rear of the table. It seems these would just raise the fence?

Ben Rivel
12-14-2015, 3:14 PM
Wouldn't the saw fence have to clamp front and back of the table to use these? I have a Vega fence that doesn't clamp at the rear of the table. It seems these would just raise the fence?
Pretty hard to raise a Biesemeyer style fence once its clamped down.

glenn bradley
12-14-2015, 3:51 PM
Same here. Very helpful in some situations.

glenn bradley
12-14-2015, 3:52 PM

Pretty hard to raise a Biesemeyer style fence once its clamped down.

Right, square tube versus round tube.

Rick Potter
12-15-2015, 4:29 AM
Dang it,

I knew there was something I wanted for Christmas. The Jessem stock guides have been on my list for a while now, and I am pleased with the router table model I already have.

Hey! SANTA! I need to talk to you.