PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a bad mortise...

Clark Harbaugh
12-12-2015, 6:53 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has ever over cut a mortise when cutting mortise tenons. I really blew it on 4 mortises for a desk I'm building and figured I'd share my solution, for whatever it's worth. I was luck enough that the locations of the oversize mortises are in a part of the desk that is not totally visible (drawer fronts will mostly cover); if it were the front of the desk or something, I'd be adjusting the design and buying more lumber to accommodate.

You can see here that I totally ignored the line on the side of the piece and cut the mortise way too long.

I cut some little blocks that were a little larger than the mortise, since my mortise cut was not perfectly flat.

I traced the bloc, scored it with a marking knife, then used a sharp chisel to make the hole.

Then glued in the block that I made

I used blue tape to protect the leg while I flush cut the plug

I then sanded. I think once I put a finish on it, you'll hardly be able to notice.

John TenEyck
12-12-2015, 7:22 PM
Good save. Your mortise is too close to the top of the leg. It could easily blow out if the tenon is just a little too wide, or split if it's a little too thick. It's best if the mortise is never closer to the end of a work piece than its width, and preferably further away than that. When I need the tenon to be really wide and that puts it close to the end like yours I usually just run the mortise right out the end of the piece and make a bridle type joint.

John

David Eisenhauer
12-12-2015, 7:26 PM
Nice save. One always hears that the pros are pros because they know how to fix their mistakes, so I guess you are a pro.

Michael Peet
12-12-2015, 7:52 PM
Nice repair, Clark. You can hardly see it.

Mike

Andrew Hughes
12-12-2015, 8:39 PM
Yeah Clark nice fix,But I can still see it hardly.:)

Mike Henderson
12-12-2015, 9:49 PM
Good job on that repair, Clark. Selecting the right piece to put in there was important - so there was no obvious color or grain transition. And you were very precise in fitting it in.

Mike

Art Mann
12-12-2015, 10:04 PM
I have read many times that a professional furniture maker is one who can either hide his mistakes or incorporate them in the design. I think you qualify.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Excellent save!

Clark Harbaugh
12-13-2015, 8:56 AM
Appreciate the kind words.

John TenEyck, thanks for the tip on the mortises close to the end. I was extra careful on the fitment because of the fear of a split. I never thought of using a bridle joint, but definitely will next time.

Jerry Olexa
12-14-2015, 10:56 PM
Nice work..No one will ever notice...good job!!!

Doug Garson
12-14-2015, 11:14 PM
I'm sure there is a good reason for it but I can't think of it. Why did you make the block wider than the mortise? As the others have said great repair.

Clark Harbaugh
12-15-2015, 6:35 AM
I'm sure there is a good reason for it but I can't think of it. Why did you make the block wider than the mortise? As the others have said great repair.

I made it bigger because the sides and ends of my mortise weren't perfect enough to give me a precise fit. Plus, I'd probably be hard pressed to accurately cut a block that small to match.