PDA

View Full Version : Sources of red spruce/molds.

Robert Engel
12-12-2015, 11:28 AM
Contemplating a full size cello build with spruce top/maple back and sides.

2 questions:

1. I want to make my own mold. Having difficulty finding sources of patterns for full size cello.

2. Need some info on sources of red spruce, evaluating wood and/or alternative wood I can use for top.

I am located in FL there is nothing around here.

Matt Lau
04-11-2016, 7:00 PM
For Adirondack spruce, I'd highly recommend Old Standard spruce.
They are one of the few that directly log, and are suppliers of red spruce for Martin, Collins, etc.
They can mill to your spec.

For your first cello build, I'd recommend contacting Old World Tonewood for Carpathian Spruce.
https://www.oldworldtonewood.com/
I've been very impressed with the quality of the spruce that I received from them, as has Randy Angella.
The gentleman behind this store is a classically trained violin builder, and started to company when he found that he couldn't get adequate quality wood to his specifications. He personally flies over the the Caucasian mountains to hand select spruce in accordance to the old traditions (full moon, certain times of the year, etc). He should also connect you to good resources for cello plans.

For plans, you may want to consider subscribing to the Strad, or Maestronet (a forum for violin builders).

I haven't built a cello yet, but my criteria for a guitar top is as follows--minimal runout, minimal/negligible twist in the wood. I want the tops to be hand split and perfectly quartered. Different luthiers have different age preferences, but I was taught that 6-7 years after cutting and air drying is best. Kiln drying can induce various stresses in the wood or work hardening.

I'd highly recommend contacting the guy there.

-Matt

ps. In my experience, the Adirondack spruce guys are a bit snooty. This may be because they are highly regarded by fawning Martin fanboys (of which I was one).